aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen a review for the forthcoming Public Image Limited and it's a good un so looking forward to my copy arriving in a couple of weeks time.

In the meantime I have been listening to The Smiths a lot lately, god lord they still thrill me to the bone almost 30 years on!

just bought the new compilation of My Bloody Valentine EP Stuff 88-91, a few unreleased tracks as well, shame they never did more stuff, I thought a follow up to 'Loveless' was going to come out after they reformed a few years ago but still no word on that and now Debbie Googe has joined Primal Scream to replace Mani...

just bought the new compilation of My Bloody Valentine EP Stuff 88-91, a few unreleased tracks as well, shame they never did more stuff, I thought a follow up to 'Loveless' was going to come out after they reformed a few years ago but still no word on that and now Debbie Googe has joined Primal Scream to replace Mani...

I doubt it will ever happen :( Can't really see how they would top Loveless either to be honest.

I would rate Isn't Anything above Loveless, personally. Loveless is a bit too dense and over-produced for my taste - too many effect pedals!

*Putting on my fanboy hat*

There isnt actually that many effects pedals on it at all.It's mainly just loads of distortion, loads of volume and loads of tweaking about with the EQ. Thats according to Sheilds but he was probably really really stoned and can't remember much of the recording process. There is definately distortion/ fuzz. There's probably reverb and delay effects were just layers and layers of guitar parts.

I know they had a problem on the Loveless tour because they couldn't sound like the record, hence Shields astromonical collection of effect pedals. I get what you mean about being over produced though. 'To here knows when' has a stupid amount of layers and stuff going on. The best version of it is when they played at the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan. Loads of fuzz, delay and volume. NURRRRRRRRRRR. What a glorious racket.

I'd say the material released between Isn't Anything and Loveless are my personal favourites. The E.P with Cigarette in Your bed (You made me realise?) is my favourite MBV recording. Isn't Anything is fucking intense. Well more angst in it than Loveless. It's an awesome album to listen to if you need to drive somewhere and get there quickly.

I fucking love MBV.

*Putting on my fanboy hat*

There isnt actually that many effects pedals on it at all.It's mainly just loads of distortion, loads of volume and loads of tweaking about with the EQ. Thats according to Sheilds but he was probably really really stoned and can't remember much of the recording process. There is definately distortion/ fuzz. There's probably reverb and delay effects were just layers and layers of guitar parts.

I know they had a problem on the Loveless tour because they couldn't sound like the record, hence Shields astromonical collection of effect pedals. I get what you mean about being over produced though. 'To here knows when' has a stupid amount of layers and stuff going on. The best version of it is when they played at the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan. Loads of fuzz, delay and volume. NURRRRRRRRRRR. What a glorious racket.

I'd say the material released between Isn't Anything and Loveless are my personal favourites. The E.P with Cigarette in Your bed (You made me realise?) is my favourite MBV recording. Isn't Anything is fucking intense. Well more angst in it than Loveless. It's an awesome album to listen to if you need to drive somewhere and get there quickly.

I fucking love MBV.

Yes, you're right, it's not really effect pedals per se. It's more the multi-layering of guitar parts etc.

I do think it's a landmark album - it's just that the sound and production isn't really to my taste. I would agree with you that the You Made Me Realise ep is fantastic, though.

Nice to see some fellow MBV lovers on here! I think I prefer 'Isn't Anything' to 'Loveless' but only just. The new compilation is well worth having, been blasting it in the car. 'Soon' still makes me weep almost 21 years after I first heard it!

Soon is just incredible. It's when the little flute melody starts then boom. Gets me every time! I still need to pick up the new versions and the e.p collection. Is there actually any extra tracks on isn't anything and loveless though? Might skip em if theres not!

Soon is just incredible. It's when the little flute melody starts then boom. Gets me every time! I still need to pick up the new versions and the e.p collection. Is there actually any extra tracks on isn't anything and loveless though? Might skip em if theres not!

Couldn't have put it better regarding 'Soon' myself! Deffo their master piece for me!

No there is nothing new on the new re-issues. Both have been remastered and 'Loveless' is a double CD set with the second CD being a 2006 DAT remastered version of the album. The EP's collection is much better ties up all the odds and ends nicely with a few unreleased tracks which are of interest to fans.