aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! Cornershop are such a brilliant and under appreciated bands, they always get lumped in the 'One-hit wonder' category but they're basically the British Beck. 'When I Was Born for the 7th Time' is a masterpiece.

Good to see others appreciate their worth, so irritating people think they just did the one song. New album the brilliantly titled 'Urban Turban' is out in May.

Neurosis. I'm currently going through their albums in reverse chronological order but I've been stuck on Given to the Rising for three weeks. They're just ridiculously good. I first listened to them about 5-6 years ago, and while I certainly appreciated that they were a good band their sound never really clicked for me. Several years later, the songs make perfect sense. Everything about the band is brilliant, from Scott Kelly & Steve Von Till's strained vocals to the cold, claustrophobic atmospherics. Love it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

"No Limit Top Dogg" by Snoop Dogg.

180px-Snoop_Dogg_-_No_Limit_Top_Dogg.JPG

I bought this at the same time as a huge pile of other albums a few years ago, and instead of taking the time to listen to it a bunch of times and get to know it, I had so much new music to listen to that I only played it a couple of times, marked a few tracks I liked as favourites and pretty much forgot about it. Whenever the Snoop mood takes me I usually put on Doggy Style or Rhythm & Gangsta, occasionally The Last Meal, but I put this on on a whim a couple of days ago, fuck there's some great tracks on here. Like a lot of Snoop's albums there are too many tracks on it and a few stinkers, but there are some massive tunes on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst giving my car a good hoover the other day I had a flick through my C.D case and found a couple of gems. Since then I've been driving around the 'shire listening to Spacemen 3 really fucking loud.

This album in particular.

Spacemen_3_Playing_with_Fire_Original_Cover.jpg

They give no fucks at all. Revolution is a stand out track. 6 minutes. 2 chords. Properly mental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5D-CqDoI8

• Upvote 2

I hit "random artist" on The Hype Machine the other week and got a weird band called Poliça. A four-piece from Minnesota who make kind of odd shoegazy pop with a vocoder for vocals. It's pretty fuckin' awesome, but I understand I might be the only one to think so...

Another band I recently (re-)discovered was Tokyo Police Club. They dropped off my radar for some reason a few months after their fucking awesome debut EP A Lesson in Crime and apparently I missed two fucking ace albums. This song has been pretty much on loop for the past week. I don't know how they do it, synths or what?!