aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Just stumbled across this thread and killed an hour at work - awesome!

Been listening to Destruction by Definition by the Suicide Machines a lot recently after re-finding it on the ipod - kinda ska punk if it wasn't ruined by all those baggy shorted Californians and had some hardcore in it!

Also Superfuzz Bigmuff by Mudhoney and Dirt by Alice In Chains, both lovely stuff if fairly bleak!

Suicide Machines are one of the best bands I've ever seen, which is odd, because I can't stand them on record. They were tight.

Great live band, saw them a few times down in England and they were just great. I really liked the way that they were a supposed 'known' band, but set up their own gear and drove their own van etc. Totally down to earth. Last couple of records they did were bad though. So so bad.... o_O

Jesse James...awful. Truly truly terrible. I saw them opening for just about every American punk band that came through the UK in 2001 and never failed to be shite.

Aye, the 1st album is the one for me. Rest of the records seem to have the odd good song on but gradually got more and more disappointing each time.

Had high hopes after the 1st record, thought they were goingto replace my beloved Op Ivy!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand Terrorvision for the most part, but the Perseverance single was a massive tune.

They used to play in Dewsbury all the time, under secret guises in shite pubs. My mums mate kitted out his car with tons of Terrorvision stickers. Funnily enough his car was found torched in Dewsbury Moor. Not a coincidence. Someone clearly didn't care for Terrorvision. Exquisite tale brethren.

my recent rediscovery has been:

Lack - Blues Moderne: Danois Explosifs.

I bought it on a whim back in 2001. It was new, and a sticker on the front compared it to Botch. I was nuts about Botch at the time.

I was Terrorvision daft as a young man. Travelled to see them in all manner of shitholes. Bradford was probably the lowlight but Dudley runs a close second in terms of really shit towns. I got to know the singer and the bassist a wee bit at the time. Really really nice guys. Still speak to Tony from time to time on Facebook and that.

/namedropping

'Regeneration' by The Divine Comedy. The last really good album they've done, though I never listen to it. Just switched it on tonight and its great.

I'm a big fan of the band, but that album still doesn't do anything for me other than sound like a pile of garbage (singles aside).

Opinions, erseholes, etc..