aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Yesterday I was browsing through my iPod looking for some old pish to take it off to clear up some space and I came across two Garbage albums. Now I was a big Garbage fan back in the 90s, but it must have been 11 or 12 years since I last listened to them, and in my mind they had become slightly rubbish and very dated. But for old time sake I played their first album. Holy fuck, it blew me away even more than it used to back in the 90s. What a fucking superb album, excellent tunes and produced perfectly. I've since listened to it three times, and listened to their second album once, and ordered their third and fourth from Amazon.

Bring back Garbage I say, in all their cornflake-shitting glory.

Garbage's first 2 albums are amazing, I think the second one is a stronger album in terms of consistency....but the first one had some great individual tunes...wasn't keen on the 3rd one at all but the 4th was a bit better. I like Shirley Manson, she was a nutcase. It's a surname thing I think. Shirley Don't Surf.

• 3 months later...

I like this thread, it's a good thread.

I've been really getting into Cave In lately, I've had a few of their albums kicking about for years but never gave them much of a chance. Happened to put Perfect Pitch Black on a couple of weeks back and have been hooked on them since. Excellent stuff from the spacey, psychedelic sprawls to the super heavy, punch in the face metal.

Had a listen to Sulk by The Associates the other day, great album. Stands up better than a lot from that early 80s era. I also bought the Jimi Hendrix Experience Smash Hits compilation from HMV last week for the grand sum of 2 pounds, man thats a good set of songs.

I was reading an old copy of Uncut magazine the other week and it had a review for the reissued Rolling Stones albums circa 1973 1983, which is a period I had always written off by them as cack but I decided warranted some investigation so I also bought the Jump Back compilation cheap which covers these years. Actually pretty good for the most part and I think I shall collect some of the albums proper when I see them going at decent prices.

Had a listen to Sulk by The Associates the other day, great album. Stands up better than a lot from that early 80s era.

Funny you should mention 'Sulk' as I found my copy yesterday sitting right next to 'Songs To Remember' and I thought I ought to give it a spin and now you've reminded me to indeed play said album over the weekend. Fantastic album, they did all kinds of mad unconvential things in the studio like thumping on anything they had to hand including a kitchen sink apparently! Were never nearly as good when Alan Rankine left after 'Sulk'.

Another album I've dug out for playing over the weekend is 'Seamonsters' by The Wedding Present from 1991. Going to see them in London in December!

Funny you should mention 'Sulk' as I found my copy yesterday sitting right next to 'Songs To Remember' and I thought I ought to give it a spin and now you've reminded me to indeed play said album over the weekend. Fantastic album, they did all kinds of mad unconvential things in the studio like thumping on anything they had to hand including a kitchen sink apparently! Were never nearly as good when Alan Rankine left after 'Sulk'.

Another album I've dug out for playing over the weekend is 'Seamonsters' by The Wedding Present from 1991. Going to see them in London in December!

It was a bit of an impulse 5 buy for me in FOPP, chose that one purely because I remembered the songs Club Country and Party Fears Two! Was checking out Amazon to see if there was room to delve further, Sulk must be a bit out of circulation at the moment as its going for silly prices.

Talking of The Wedding Present, my iShuffle playlist for the commute this week was the first 3 albums by them! have never got round to seeing them live, may go see them in December in Aberdeen.

I detest ska-punk in just about all of its forms, but I gave Pay Attention by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones a spin this week. definitely my favourite by them, as they dropped the pop punk quite alot, and it's pretty much a power-pop record, with brass. Dicky's voice is awesome, and some of the brass melodies and harmonies are joyous.

I detest ska-punk in just about all of its forms, but I gave Pay Attention by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones a spin this week. definitely my favourite by them, as they dropped the pop punk quite alot, and it's pretty much a power-pop record, with brass. Dicky's voice is awesome, and some of the brass melodies and harmonies are joyous.

Just Face It. That's a great MMBT record that I listen to often.

It was a bit of an impulse 5 buy for me in FOPP, chose that one purely because I remembered the songs Club Country and Party Fears Two! Was checking out Amazon to see if there was room to delve further, Sulk must be a bit out of circulation at the moment as its going for silly prices.

Talking of The Wedding Present, my iShuffle playlist for the commute this week was the first 3 albums by them! have never got round to seeing them live, may go see them in December in Aberdeen.

I bought 'Sulk' when it came out and there were two vastly different versions - one for the UK and one for America, totally different tracklisting. The CD was with all the tracks that featured on both versions of the album, a couple of b sides and a non album single plus a few unreleased songs from the sessions. Listened to some of it driving home tonight and it blew me away, completely timeless. Now back at HQ listening to the follow ups 'perhaps' and 'The Glamour Chase' which was unreleased for years. Mackenzie always was a bit bonkers. Whilst the latter two dont hit the heady heights of Sulk, still lots of great songs on them so having a rediscovering the Associates phase.

The Wedding Present are brilliant live, they play loads of old stuff, when I saw them in Colchester last year they opened with 'Kennedy'. Actually I got a feeling theyre doing the whole of 'Bizarro' this tour as its 21 years old, might be wrong there actually, shall go check!

Actually I got a feeling theyre doing the whole of 'Bizarro' this tour as its 21 years old, might be wrong there actually, shall go check!

This is correct.

My recent rediscovery is a.c.acoustics. The Victory Parts album is a cracker with a few tracks (Stunt Girl and I Messiah Am Jailer for example) vying for position as my "current" favourite songs in the world.

this is a great thread, so many bands and artists I like to go rediscover. McCluskey were fucking awesome! Finding the music though is a different matter although I am having a massive clear out and sorting out of my flat over the next few weeks so bound to find some of them and pluck some gems out the archives!