aberdeen-music

Your last great musical rediscovery...

diarmaid

Perusing your cd collection, what was the last cd you randomly put on and thought to yourself: 'fuck this is fantastic, i'd forgot just how great this was!'?

Was going through mine last night and shoved on 'Troublegum' by Therapy? Always had thought it was brilliant, but it never fails to suprise me just how fresh, catchy and down right heavy it is. An absolute corker of an album. It just doesn't let up from start to finish. Unlike quite a lot of Therapy? albums, I don't really think theres a bad track on there. Utterly brilliant.

So what was you're last great musical rediscovery?

After a thread in which I said I couldn't get into "Enter The Wu Tang Clan" and then a three page discussion about it, I went home and put it and finally 'got' it, despite having the CD for about 8 years. It's on heavy rotation on my iPod now.

Other blasts from the past that I'd forgotten about years ago and have recently dredged up and enjoyed:

Pulp - Mis-shapes

Terrorvision - How To Make Friends And Influence People

Danzig 1

Screaming Trees - Dust

Nada Surf - High/Low

Funnily enough spent most of the weekend digging out old CD's I bought and forgot about. A few listed below:

Drugstore - White Magic For lovers

The Delgados - The Great Eastern

Longpigs - The Sun Is Often Out (not really a re-discovery as I listen to it a lot anyway but gets a mention for being a cracker)

Strangelove - Love And Other Demons

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

Eugenius - Oomalama

Nirvana aswell, for me, are my constant rediscovery. I go through phases of listening to them like crazy, completely overkilling them and getting sick of their songs, to discovering them again. Really love everything they've done. The vocal melodies on Nevermind are sublime. Especially Drain You and On A Plain. Probably my favourite Nirvana songs.

• Upvote 1

El President, from the afformentioned album. Superb song.

I recently discovered Drugstore are still on the go.

Strange this should be posted today, An old friend emailed last week to say Drugstore play their 1st gig in 10years TONIGHT @ Dingwall's in London. I'm fairly sure the gig sold out..................

Nirvana aswell, for me, are my constant rediscovery. I go through phases of listening to them like crazy, completely overkilling them and getting sick of their songs, to discovering them again. Really love everything they've done. The vocal melodies on Nevermind are sublime. Especially Drain You and On A Plain. Probably my favourite Nirvana songs.

Fucking right! Recently I have been delighted to have Nevermind songs turn up on my iPod. Songs like Drain You, On a Plain, Lounge Act (current favourite) and In Bloom are just incredible pop songs. In Utero is still my favourite by far; the sound of the record is probably perfect in my mind. I know most folk go on about how great the drums sound - and they do - but I love the sound of the guitars on that record as well. They sound so visceral, like razorblades. And nobody screams as good as Kurt Cobain did, not even Black Francis.

• Upvote 1

Been listening to a lot of The Ramones again recently, people (myself included) tend to forget just how amazing they were at writing simple, brilliant melodies. Half of their songs could have been done by the Shangri-Las or The Ronettes and worked just as well.

Also recently been re-listening to Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, Grandaddy, Teenage Fanclub and lots of Sarah Records stuff I haven't listened to for a while. In particular the amazing 'Pristine Christine' by The Sea Urchins.

Fucking right! Recently I have been delighted to have Nevermind songs turn up on my iPod. Songs like Drain You, On a Plain, Lounge Act (current favourite) and In Bloom are just incredible pop songs. In Utero is still my favourite by far; the sound of the record is probably perfect in my mind. I know most folk go on about how great the drums sound - and they do - but I love the sound of the guitars on that record as well. They sound so visceral, like razorblades. And nobody screams as good as Kurt Cobain did, not even Black Francis.

The guitar sounds incredible. I dunno if it's just different EQ's in the studio, but he seems to have half a dozen different distortion sounds on different songs, which I like alot. The riffs are also superb, in a subtle sort of way. Love the guitar in Serve The Servants.

I'm digging alot of early REM again recently. I used to have a Best Of the IRS years on tape years ago, and it was great. Recently I found Murmur and Dead Letter Office second hand for a total of 6. Their debut, Murmur, is all kinds of good.

Agreed, I love the guitar sound on In Utero, it's the guitar sound I've been trying to recreate since like 1996!

I always like Incesticide and Bleach most out of Nirvana's output. I think i just got fed up of hearing Nevermind. Unplugged and In Utero are good as well though.

Early R.E.M is fantastic. The last two albums have been horseshit though. Their last good album, and possibly my favourite, is New Adventures in HiFi.

After seeing Original Spies mention them i was listening to Gang Of Four for the first time in ages yesterday.