aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Rustico is really good. I think I had that meal that has apparently been taken off the menu, it was amazing. The atmosphere/layout made me feel like I wasn't in Aberdeen, which is a bonus too.

Bistro Verde is definitely my favourite place to eat in Aberdeen. A bit more 'upmarket', I guess, and a bit more pricey but the quality of the food is something I've never experienced anywhere else.

Went to Ciao Napoli about a month ago and the portion sizes seemed to be a bit hit and miss, mine were perfect but my g/f's were way too big. Again, really good quality though.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: went to Rustico's. It was pretty good, but felt a wee bit rushed between courses. Oh well.

What night did you go? My girlfriend and I went a few months back and felt much the same. Had booked an earlyish table on a Saturday though, so maybe they were trying to make sure we were out early so they could use the table again.

What night did you go? My girlfriend and I went a few months back and felt much the same. Had booked an earlyish table on a Saturday though, so maybe they were trying to make sure we were out early so they could use the table again.

Sunday night, and it was fairly early, so I guess we had the same experience as you did.

Food was excellent though.

Yatai was amazing when i went there, but that was a while ago when it was across from the noose and monkey.

Had a brilliant meal in Malmaison a few months back, the place is truely stunning, great whiskey selection, well stocked wine cellar, which can be viewed through the glass floor at the restaurant's entrance. BUT...very pricey!

Rustico's is probably the best Italian i have ever eaten in, unless it counts Carminies, but it is a completely different experience

La Stella in Adelphi is fantastic, Pretty good value for money too! I think their christmas menu is about 25 quid for 3 courses... Had a 24 hour slow roasted belly of pork there that was to die for!

The Cock and Bull on the A90 just passed Balmedie is fantastic, and not too pricey for the standard. They were awarded an AA rosette last year, are listed in the mitchelin eating out guide and their head chef, Ryan Patterson, recently reclaimed his title of Grampian Chef of the year!

If it is a good steak you are after, in my opinion, you cannot beat The Prime Cuts, but I'm a bit biased working there and all! All our meat is 28 days matured, and so tender you won't ever need a steak knife! It is a bit pricey, but in my opinion compleyley worth it!

Eat on The Green out at Udny Green is a bit special too, if you are willing to travel that far!

Howies is a good shout for some well cooked traditional scottish fayre, and not too expensive either!

If i think of any more i shall add them to my list, i'm beginning to realise why i am always skint!

Had a brilliant meal in Malmaison a few months back,

Pity they charge 30 for a fillet steak and can't cook it how you ordered it.Very poor,i won't be going back there again.Nawaabs...4.50 for a pint of cobra???? Fucking rip off.

Did you send it back?

No,they offered to"re-cook it",mmmm no thanks,then they offered me another steak,mmm no thanks as everyone else at my table would have finished their meal by then.After a hoo haa,i eventually got my money back.The guy at the grill fucked up the order,as he had about 5 fillets and a bit of paper with the orders,and was squeezing the steaks looking confused as to which steak was for which order.If you are charging top dollars for your food,then best get it right.

Guest Gladstone

Echoing the sentiments on the thread already, but my favourites by a long way are:

Prime Cuts - best steak I've ever tasted. I'm pretty fussy when it comes to steak, but this place is the mutt's nuts. My best mate is a chef there, which is probably the only reason I went given the prices, but the prices are well worth it. I'm not a surf n turf fan, but it's apparently amazing too.

Rustico - top quality Italian, and the atmosphere is great. It reminds me of actually being in Italy, which is no mean feat in a cold wintery Aberdeen.

Cinnamon - best Indian in town that I've been to. Probably not the best I've ever been to, but it's so much better than anywhere else, apart from Jewel In the Crown which is not too far behind.

I don't particularly like any of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in Aberdeen. Chi probably being my preference, but I would have to be completely in the mood for nothing but Chinese to make that my choice for a meal. My wife loves Chi though, so we do sometimes go!

La Stella is another favourite - something different from anything else in Aberdeen (that I've ever had).

I'm going to Stage Door for Xmas work meal today - it's been pretty good the other times I've been so looking forward to that, although Xmas meals in restaurants are never as good as the normal food they do, because they generally have to cater for loads of folk all at once, and it's a bit "mass produced".

Fusion on North Silver Street is also pretty good. Not a big selection, but I got a mighty fine steak (paid for by my boss - bonus!) there a couple of weeks ago.

I don't particularly like any of the Chinese restaurants I've been to in Aberdeen.

Tried Royal China on Holburn Street? I was never a big fan of Chinese food until I ate there. Think in the past I'd just been eating rubbish Chinese food...

I don't get all the complaints about how expensive Prime Cuts is despite everyone saying it's great. Why wouldn't you pay for something that's as good as that? I haven't been but the prices don't look too over the top considering even a very average restaurant will try and charge 18 for a ribeye steak these days then fuck it up. I've never heard anyone say something bad about the food in Prime Cuts, the only thing anyone complains about is the price. Yet they don't seemt to see that the two things (great food, high prices) are connected.

At least you didn't pay for it and they offered to rectify the mistake. If it was overdone, they obviously couldn't whack it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to make it any rarer.

Mistakes happen - it's how places deal with it that counts. :)

Yeah totally agree,mistakes happen,but not at my expense.They dealt with it badly as i had to go through various managers to get satisfaction.Got to try Prime Cuts...sounds ace!

Guest Gladstone
Tried Royal China on Holburn Street? I was never a big fan of Chinese food until I ate there. Think in the past I'd just been eating rubbish Chinese food...

I don't get all the complaints about how expensive Prime Cuts is despite everyone saying it's great. Why wouldn't you pay for something that's as good as that? I haven't been but the prices don't look too over the top considering even a very average restaurant will try and charge 18 for a ribeye steak these days then fuck it up. I've never heard anyone say something bad about the food in Prime Cuts, the only thing anyone complains about is the price. Yet they don't seemt to see that the two things (great food, high prices) are connected.

I've been in Royal China once actually - I'd forgotten about it - it was pretty good. I think I quite like rubbish Chinese food which is probably my problem. I love a chinese takeaway from rubbish places like Rainbow! So it probably says more about me than the restaurants!

As for prices at Prime Cuts - like I said - it is pricey, but it is definitely worth it. I'd rather pay 30 for a fillet steak from there than nearly 20 for a poor quality sirloin steak cooked badly from [insert the name of any pub/restaurant here].

I agree for sure. The Royal China is lovely. The food is so good. It's one of the best Chinese restaurants I've ever been to. I had previously dismissed it because when it was first taken over from the previous management, the food and staff had been awful. Now, it's the complete opposite.

This thread almost tempts me out of vegetarianism. In the last few years i have been getting more and more tempted to try meat seing my friends enjoyment at restaraunts eating things like slow cooked lamb ect.

Then i remember i have morals, and eating animals is wrong.

If it is a good steak you are after, in my opinion, you cannot beat The Prime Cuts, but I'm a bit biased working there and all! All our meat is 28 days matured, and so tender you won't ever need a steak knife! It is a bit pricey, but in my opinion compleyley worth it!

It only took you 6 months to go from a long-term moral vegetarian to a meat-eater who works in Prime Cuts?

I'm occasionally slightly tempted to go back to meat but thats a rather spectacular collapse!

• Upvote 1

It only took you 6 months to go from a long-term moral vegetarian to a meat-eater who works in Prime Cuts?

I'm occasionally slightly tempted to go back to meat but thats a rather spectacular collapse!

I did wonder if anyone would pick up on that... i am not a fully fledged meat eater, but have sampled most of the things off the prime cuts menu. I was getting far too ill being a lactose intolerant vegetarian, so am having to try to wean myself back onto 'proper food' as my mum would say.

on a slightly different note, after 14 years without meat, it is really intereasting how different everything tastes from my memories as a kid. I am probably driving my friends insane, but i have been trying a wee sample of everyones food when we have been going out, and some things (turkey for example) taste nothing like what i remember!