aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Bit of advice, opt for collection if you can because last time i ordered from there for delivery, i swear the Stevie Wonder was driving because we waited foruver min.....

And as always, that means luke warm curries, nae use.

Good scran though, definitely.

Ended up going to Poldino's. Whoever said it was pish is a liar, and simply shouldn't ever be trusted. Glorious food and service.

I had the Minestrone to start. The missus had the mozzarella, tomato and artichoke. The soup was splendid. I had a bit of a nibble at the mozzarella too, and it was just incredible. I grumbled through the rest of my soup, green with envy.

Then we both had Spaghetti. I had Carbonara, and she opted for Bolognese. Both were just superb. Best Carbonara I've ever had. I just didn't want it to end.

Then we shared a Cherry Panna Cotta for dessert. The consistency was a bit more jelly-like than expected, but it was still incredibly good. Just the right size for splitting after 2 courses.

2 starters, 2 mains, a shared dessert and 2 glasses of wine each for 42. Can't argue with that. Incredible value. Great quality. Faultless service and a very good atmosphere. Will certainly go back.

Chung Hwa. Chinese on Great Northern Road.

Poor. Half of the food arrived cold, and they sent me Sweet and Sour Chicken instead of OK Chicken. Didn't want that. They refused to come back and give me the food I actually paid for.

I should have gone to Eagle May like usual, but some chump at work said it's the best in town. I'm going to staple him to his desk when I get in. Maybe. We'll see.

Cheers.

Saturday is the day :up:

When I ordered it was supposed to take around 45 mins but arrived in half that time. Food is amazing but portions are small. The rice we got was a tiny portion (the box was only about half full, not ideal shared between two people) and the chao pharya platter thing was basically just two of everything described so while it was really tasty, not much there when shared between two as it is all quite small. The fish cakes were about the size of two 2 coins stacked on each other. For 10 it's not worth it IMO despite the chicken satay and fish cakes being probably the best i've tasted

If you're looking for a decent, good value Italian I'd definitely recommend Mi Amore on Huntly Street. The food is simple, but well prepared and generously portioned. The lunch deal is unbelievably good value, 6.95 for two courses between 12-3 every day. A more than adequate replacement for Papagallos.

Sounds superb... Does that lunch deal include weekends as well?

I had Yorokobi last week, it was fucking fantastic. Ordered a starter each, then just picked a bunch of random stuff off the menu to share as a main course. Had 4 types of nigiri (yellowtail, eel, surfclam, salmon) a fucking gigantic volcano roll, a set maki selection (18 pieces) and a couple of California rolls, which were 6 pieces each. Didn't realise how much food we'd ordered, they just kept bringing more and more fucking food! Had to take some of it home and have it for lunch the next day :laughing: Was expensive but not insanely so, for all that food and two beers it came in at just under 60.

http://www.yorokobibycj.co.uk/full-menu.pdf

I had Yorokobi last week, it was fucking fantastic. Ordered a starter each, then just picked a bunch of random stuff off the menu to share as a main course. Had 4 types of nigiri (yellowtail, eel, surfclam, salmon) a fucking gigantic volcano roll, a set maki selection (18 pieces) and a couple of California rolls, which were 6 pieces each. Didn't realise how much food we'd ordered, they just kept bringing more and more fucking food! Had to take some of it home and have it for lunch the next day :laughing: Was expensive but not insanely so, for all that food and two beers it came in at just under 60.

http://www.yorokobibycj.co.uk/full-menu.pdf

Went there on Tuesday night. Fantastic place, food was unbelievable!

I had the beef Bulgoki, which was lovely, the chicken teriyaki was amazing too!

And a heap of sushi rolls. I thought it was very reasonably priced. :popcorn:

I think I'm going to go to Chao Phraya next Thursday or Friday. Looks lovely but will need a few trips to try all the dishes that I want! I presume it's easy enough to find if you just follow Regent Road round?

Cant say I've been out in Aberdeen to eat much recently but one meal I had that was amazing was the sweet chilli prawn & chorizo flatbread in Revolution. Mmmmmmmm!

prawn-&-chorizo-flatbread.jpg

There's a wee pic of it. Looks like a Photoshopped lemon.

• 1 month later...

Went to La Lombarda last night, purely because it was close by and lashing it down. I was disappointed. Minestrone Soup to start, which was bland, and was mostly just tomato soup. Then I had Spaghetti Carbonara which tasted of nothing but egg. Grim as fuck. The missus had Bruschetta and Pesto Tagliatelle which were pretty good though, the Pesto especially. The staff talked and giggled very loudly about fake tan and make up. Probably won't be going back in a hurry.

I'm off to Dufftown tomorrow to pay my auld Granny a visit, may have to pop in past. What's so good about it?

Very tasty, huge portions and not at all greasy. I'm aways a bit dubious about small town places as alot seem to get by on simply being the only place for miles and just serve greasey ming, not the case at all there.

Guest Bob Knob

Mr Wu on George Street:

A bit of a mixed review here because I went there for the first time about a month ago after drinking in the Balaclava and had the chicken chow mein (£5.90). It tasted really nice but about 40 minutes later I dumped my guts in The Frigate.

A couple of days ago I returned for some reason and had the shredded chilli beef which was exquisite. No after effects.

Maybe it was the Balaclava.

Me and the wife went to our friends last night, decided to get a 4 person indian from bollywood.

amazing, choose any 4 currys from the menu, I hadwe also got 4 side dishes including aloo sag and bombay potatoes, 2 naans of our choice, peshwari and garlic they were huge, we also got 8 onion bagjys which were perfect! dipping sauces and 4 tins of juice! all cost £37.50 and a pound for delivery. Delivery was prompt and everything was amazing

Had two bowl movements before 9am today though, not the fiery type and definitely not loose stools, just a lot to get out

Guest Bob Knob
Me and the wife went to our friends last night, decided to get a 4 person indian from bollywood.

amazing, choose any 4 currys from the menu, I hadwe also got 4 side dishes including aloo sag and bombay potatoes, 2 naans of our choice, peshwari and garlic they were huge, we also got 8 onion bagjys which were perfect! dipping sauces and 4 tins of juice! all cost £37.50 and a pound for delivery. Delivery was prompt and everything was amazing

Had two bowl movements before 9am today though, not the fiery type and definitely not loose stools, just a lot to get out

Bollywood is amazing. I heard a few of the old chefs from Light of Bengal now work there which would explain the excellence. Never had a bad meal from either.

I had a lethal weapon pizza from pizza the action last night with nachos on the side. the pizza was ace, the nachos were rubbery and a bit shit. why doesn't anywhere do good nachos? it's so simple and easy to do well yet all you get is a lazy pile of corn chips with melted cheese and some jalapenos. give me fresh guacamole and fresh salsa as well silly takeaways. if you did it well you'd be legendary.