aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

I have to say, I would not trust prawns in a Wetherspoons!

i second that, i used to work in justice mill and i wouldnt trust anything judging by the type of muppets that worked in the kitchen....ie.me, and also guys with criminal records, complete pill heads. only consolation is that barely anything is genuinely 'cooked' in that place, its actually unbelievable how much stuff comes in frozen.

incidentally, la tasca was pretty turd tonight. but it was hoaching, not a seat left by the time we had had our food so that might have something to do with it. the missus also had greasy lip stains on her glass. just glad i wasnt paying full price :up:

Went to Francos in Banchory last night. Pretty good, had chicken livers with crispy parma ham starter (though the portion size was a bit too big for a starter) followed by veal in a mushroom, marsala and cream sauce. There was also a side order of mozzarella, tomato and basil.. It's not going to win awards but it was solid enough and reasonably priced. Had a taste of my girlfriend's pizza and while the filling wasn't what I'd have chosen the base seemed perfect (christ this is starting to sound like one of those reviews in the evening express).

The only downside was that I believe it's run by the same people as Borsalino's in Culter, which meant the arsehole with the guitar turned up. Seems he does alternate Saturdays between the two restaurants.

I went to Frankie & Benny's in Union Square yesterday for their 2 courses for 9.99 lunch. Me and my friend shared sweet chilli wings and brushetta. The brushetta was good, however I would of describe it more as Garlic Bread with an onion and tomato relish, the topping was rather scarce. The Sweet Chilli chicken wings tasted more like BBQ, and were more like drumsticks....but wasn't complaining cause they were finer than I expected.

My main course was quite disappointing, I order New Yorker Pasta (chicken, chilli and pasta served in their Philly cheese sauce topped with crispy bacon), it was like a watered down macaroni made with penne pasta, what looked like shop bought chicken slices, lord knows where the chilli was. It was overall bland and boring even after adding a ton of parmesan and black pepper.... :(

Overall wasn't too impressed. Won't be hurrying back.

I went to Frankie & Benny's in Union Square yesterday for their 2 courses for 9.99 lunch. Me and my friend shared sweet chilli wings and brushetta. The brushetta was good, however I would of describe it more as Garlic Bread with an onion and tomato relish, the topping was rather scarce. The Sweet Chilli chicken wings tasted more like BBQ, and were more like drumsticks....but wasn't complaining cause they were finer than I expected.

My main course was quite disappointing, I order New Yorker Pasta (chicken, chilli and pasta served in their Philly cheese sauce topped with crispy bacon), it was like a watered down macaroni made with penne pasta, what looked like shop bought chicken slices, lord knows where the chilli was. It was overall bland and boring even after adding a ton of parmesan and black pepper.... :(

Overall wasn't too impressed. Won't be hurrying back.

I have it on reasonable authority that the Frankie and Benny's in Union Square has been beset by problems and they had to bring in a manager from elsewhere to try and sort things out, a friend was dining there and received truly appalling service.

On top of this, I wouldn't touch Frankie & Benny's ordinarily, another of these soulless chain establishments which involve meals which are basically pre-packed uniformly bland microwaveable packages of soul sucking mediocrity while there are decent, well run independent establishments struggling to survive because folk are so easily seduced by a brand identity...

• Upvote 1

I would always opt for Eljos before La Tasca for my tapas requirements.

is eljos any good? i always been put off because it has been dead some weekends i went past but also because its only 2 minutes from my flat. And for some reason i seem to convince myself that a restaurant cannot be both convenient and tasty.

Besides, i wont be going back to la tasca again any time soon, and interested in trying somewhere different. What annoyed me about la tasca was that everything is so obviously frozen and shipped in to be cooked in either a microwave or a fryer.

is eljos any good? i always been put off because it has been dead some weekends i went past but also because its only 2 minutes from my flat. And for some reason i seem to convince myself that a restaurant cannot be both convenient and tasty.

Besides, i wont be going back to la tasca again any time soon, and interested in trying somewhere different. What annoyed me about la tasca was that everything is so obviously frozen and shipped in to be cooked in either a microwave or a fryer.

Eljos is great. I think it suffers from not being as prominently located as La Tasca, and also the herd mentality that prefers the chain restaurant.

I have eaten at both and for me Eljos wins every time.

I have it on reasonable authority that the Frankie and Benny's in Union Square has been beset by problems and they had to bring in a manager from elsewhere to try and sort things out, a friend was dining there and received truly appalling service.

On top of this, I wouldn't touch Frankie & Benny's ordinarily, another of these soulless chain establishments which involve meals which are basically pre-packed uniformly bland microwaveable packages of soul sucking mediocrity while there are decent, well run independent establishments struggling to survive because folk are so easily seduced by a brand identity...

Couldnt have said it better myself. Have some rep :up:

-

I was in the Braided Fig last night, and the food was really tasty, and the portions are really big. I'm glad to go somewhere that isn't just the Belhaven pub menu as it is just so bland. I'm usually out with my dad a couple nights a week for something to eat at the moment, so we were both pleasantly surprised with how good the Braided Fig was and how different the menu is,

I was in the Braided Fig last night, and the food was really tasty, and the portions are really big. I'm glad to go somewhere that isn't just the Belhaven pub menu as it is just so bland. I'm usually out with my dad a couple nights a week for something to eat at the moment, so we were both pleasantly surprised with how good the Braided Fig was and how different the menu is,

I've never been disappointed by the service or the food in the Braided Fig. Their burgers are absolutely divine as well.

Frankie and Benny's

Howard & Hills.

Never eaten in the dump and never would!! It's the "cuisine" equivalent of Chicago Rock Cafe.

Eljo's - La Tasca. I've had traditional tapas at a wedding in Barcelona and it almost made my cock come to the boil they were so fine. La Tasca's just ain't real tapas, but if you can get over that it's alright for a bite. I will be participating in the 50% offer through spending 3 quid on 4 San Migs! It'll do the job for some scran when we're in town one night this year I'm sure!!