aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

I can't believe how poor most of the chippers are up here for fish considering we are a port city.

Goulash is the balls, used to love it when I lived in the Adelphi.

La Stella over the road was cracking as well, been a while since I've been in there now though.

Last restaurant I was in was Howies. I had the wood pigeon and the steak, absolutely gorgeous. Dinner for 2 including a bottle of wine, a couple Budvars and a coupel soft drinks came to about 75 which I thought was pretty decent.

I just had a solidly decent curry from Westend Tandoori (across from Alpine Bikes). They initially forgot my naan bread, but phoned me 5 minutes later to check and delivered it soon after.

Fairly stuffed now.

i used to go there a lot when i lived on nellfield place, it's pretty good.

if we're talking chippers in town then it has to be mike's.

I just had a solidly decent curry from Westend Tandoori (across from Alpine Bikes). They initially forgot my naan bread, but phoned me 5 minutes later to check and delivered it soon after.

Fairly stuffed now.

This used to be our favourite takeaway but the last 2 or 3 we've had from there havent been anything like as nice. Course now the ghurka's closed we need to find somewhere else.

Went to Borsalino last night. Italian restaurant out in Cults. Hugely disappointed. We had reservations, but we got put in the kind of place you'd get lumped with if you wandered in chancing for a table. Within touching distance of the guy crooning Dean Martin covers in the corner. He could have prodded me with his guitar's headstock with minimal effort, if he so wished. Would be quite a nice feat if you were sat at the other side of the restaurant, but when you're right next to the guy, it's pretty fucking loud. The table was broken and wobbly also, so we drew the short straw before we'd even ordered. The starter was okay. No real complaints. For the main, we both had a pizza. The parma ham on mine smelled strange, almost like wet dog. So I scooped most of it off. The chicken on the missis' pizza looked very cheap and nasty, with big, fatty, black veins running through it. Kinda grim. Won't be going back.

Went to Four Mile House in Kingswells for lunch today. Fuck my life. So good. We both had the haddock and chips, and it was incredible. Best fish I've had, possibly ever. A little greasy, and being a pub-food type place, the chips were probably McCain, but it was just immense. It's not exactly a pub, but it has that sort of pub food atmosphere. Best pub lunch I've had around these parts, except for perhaps the Cults Hotel. Can't decide between the two. Certainly the best fish anyway. The guy behind us sent his fish back because he didn't like it. He's probably fucking demented though.

Went to Borsalino last night. Italian restaurant out in Cults. Hugely disappointed. We had reservations, but we got put in the kind of place you'd get lumped with if you wandered in chancing for a table. Within touching distance of the guy crooning Dean Martin covers in the corner. He could have prodded me with his guitar's headstock with minimal effort, if he so wished. Would be quite a nice feat if you were sat at the other side of the restaurant, but when you're right next to the guy, it's pretty fucking loud. The table was broken and wobbly also, so we drew the short straw before we'd even ordered. The starter was okay. No real complaints. For the main, we both had a pizza. The parma ham on mine smelled strange, almost like wet dog. So I scooped most of it off. The chicken on the missis' pizza looked very cheap and nasty, with big, fatty, black veins running through it. Kinda grim. Won't be going back.

It's in Culter, not Cults.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was awesome. Brilliant pizzas. Anywhere that has anchovies, olives and capers as a standard option wins for me. But apart from that they were cooked perfectly, toppings were good and the base was nice and crisp. Couldn't fault it at all.

The dick with the guitar in the corner (we were sat right beside him as well) was the only downside, though he was pretty subdued so easy to tune out.

The restaurant may be better than the adjoining takeaway, I haven't eaten in for a while. But it really is fucking shit compared to the better chippers in the area. Get a standard haddock supper from the Ashvale, then get one from Hass' , or from The Bay or the Carron in Stoney, compare it to the Ashvale's one and then never return.

The Bay is the one near the 'amusements', right? If so, agreed - they're absolutely incredible.

Hass is bloody good too, even back towhen they were in Banchory.

As for the Ashvale? It's a pitiful excuse for a chipper, and their franchises dotted round the place are absolutely diabolical.

It's in Culter, not Cults.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was awesome. Brilliant pizzas. Anywhere that has anchovies, olives and capers as a standard option wins for me. But apart from that they were cooked perfectly, toppings were good and the base was nice and crisp. Couldn't fault it at all.

The dick with the guitar in the corner (we were sat right beside him as well) was the only downside, though he was pretty subdued so easy to tune out.

He started out fairly quiet, but he did get louder, and it was difficult to tune out. To be fair, he was pretty good, but not when you're sat within touching distance.

Cults. Culter. Peteculter. Easy to confuse, especially when they are all along the same road.

Cults. Culter. Peteculter. Easy to confuse, especially when they are all along the same road.

Aye fair enough, easier still if you're not from the area I suppose (even then I've seen people brought up here ask things like "Is Culter anywhere near Peterculter?").

It's really annoying me that people keep reporting such different experiences of the same restaurants in all these threads. Surely this inconsistency is one of the main reasons why people in the bigger cities and the really bad food snobs keep writing off Aberdeen and the shire's restaurants.

Sort it out food places!

Dizzys bar and diner on Carden Place, Aberdeen. Shit food, even shitter service. On Saturday lunchtime I slopped my way through what was supposed to be Spaghetti Bolognese it turned out to penne, overcooked to within an inch of its life, watery Bolognese sauce completely devoid of any flavour whatsoever, mouldy parmesan cheese that I didnt ask for, and about an inch of watery fat in the bottom of the bowl. I ate most of it (the fod, not that fat) because I was fucking starving, meaning to mention to the waiter at the end that it wasn't very good, rather than complaining and having to wait for them to make something else. When the waiter came over at the end to ask if everything was OK I told him Mine wasnt good. I didnt like it, expecting to be able to tell him then what was wrong with it. Imagine my surprise when he simply shrugged Oh well and took the plates away. Never again shall you get my custom Dizzys. To be fair my mate's chilli burger looked pretty good.

Little Italy - Holburn Street. Last time i had lunch in here it was an absolute disaster and I expected more of the same, but it was actually really good this time. The starters were slightly cold, but apart from that no complaints whatsoever, the main courses were huge and really really tasty. They have won back my trust.

For any Indian food lovers who find themselves in Stonehaven, I recommend the Tandoori Haven and particularly the 'Gaulda Chingri Combi' dish, which features a huge portion of king prawn with mushrooms and green peppers. It's amazingly tasty. Certainly as a takeaway so I would hope the sit down version would be as good.

The restaurant itself has had some up and down periods over the years in terms of quality but currently is maintaining a high, and is the best Indian takeaway/restaurant in Stonehaven, for me anyway.

• 1 month later...

Restaurant Recommendations

Hello.

Okay, I need ideas for relatively fancy places that won't completely wreck my bank balance but will still make me seem impressive enough for my girlfriend not to think I'm a useless, poor bastard.

Help me out please! Types of food don't really matter, I'm the fussier one.

cheers, you lovely people.

la bonne brasserie on back wynd. Pricey but worth it every now and again. Always a varied menu with a good mix of fish and meat. One of the best steaks in town id say.

Although, the last time I went I complained about the service which was far too slow. They were quite clearly concentrating on the larger, more wealthier looking parties and forgetting about the scruffy young couple in the corner. To their credit, they took my complaint very seriously and didn't make me feel like a tool for saying something.