aberdeen-music

Venue trouble/your basement?

Huw

oops, sorry about that!

i knew that you had said something about it.

we had hoped to maybe do something in our lockup off market street, but we can't seem to get hold of the guy who runs/owns the place and the electricity has been down for a month now! Gigs in there would be good!

to clear up, the gig I did there had no problems. Dave and Steve from upstarts who were running the place and at the gig checked, and there were no complaints from the saturday. all complaints were from a Monday, when a certain band (who later chucked toilet paper all voer the place when they heard we were getting kicked out) decided to practice with doors wide open. I was very strict at our gig that it'd be finsihed by a certain time and doors never opened while bands were mid-song.

Yeah that was an ace gig, shame we didn't get a chance to do more, we had a lot of plans for that place...

oops, sorry about that!

i knew that you had said something about it.

we had hoped to maybe do something in our lockup off market street, but we can't seem to get hold of the guy who runs/owns the place and the electricity has been down for a month now! Gigs in there would be good!

Hah, we've just finished up there, know your pain man!

Why? Just out of curiosity.

We're a bar/venue and the business is predicated on our bar trade. We need to be predicable and consistent about when there's an admission charge.

People know that Mon-Thurs we're operating as a bar. That on Fri we're operating as a club (albeit one that closes early), on Sat as a venue with a door charge, and on Sun as a pub with music. Whenever we deviate from that routine there is a knock on effect and it takes a few weeks to recover, this applies no matter how successful the gig.

Likewise through the week we tend to shun activity nights like karaoke, pub quizzes, contests etc. We're a safe haven for people who just want to drink and listen to the jukebox.

We're a bar/venue and the business is predicated on our bar trade. We need to be predicable and consistent about when there's an admission charge.

People know that Mon-Thurs we're operating as a bar. That on Fri we're operating as a club (albeit one that closes early), on Sat as a venue with a door charge, and on Sun as a pub with music. Whenever we deviate from that routine there is a knock on effect and it takes a few weeks to recover, this applies no matter how successful the gig.

Out of interest, would you consider putting gigs on during the week if there was no admission charge?

Out of interest, would you consider putting gigs on during the week if there was no admission charge?

No, for the same reason. People are expecting to be able to buy a drink and play the jukebox. We need to remain predictable and consistent.

Doctor Drakes was a venue that was very accommodating to bands and gigs and Aberdeen is a poorer place without it.

Likewise through the week we tend to shun activity nights like karaoke, pub quizzes, contests etc. We're a safe haven for people who just want to drink and listen to the jukebox.

If only there were more places in town with this attitude ie no-nonsense places with music that the punters actually want to hear (or am I just being an idealist?)...

A decent boozer/bar with decent tunes. Not rocket science...

(I'm aware that there are a few places who do a sterling job by the way, not having a go at them)