aberdeen-music

imp Culturedeluxe article

offramp

A much deserved bit of praise!!

(Calling Aberdeen a 'musical backwater' was sweet, too).

I disagree. Go to Middlesbrough, Stoke, Portsmouth, Plymouth and countless other cities in the UK and you'll see real musical 'backwaters'.

We don't know how good we've got it.

It's the constant, pointless comparisons with Glasgow/Edinburgh that bring us down.

Rant Over.

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say, in a roundabout way, was that Aberdeen does not seem to be getting the same level of acts up here as, say, three years ago. I don't know if that's because of things happening in Dundee and Inverness, money issues locally or if bands have returned to central belt myopia. This is one of the reasons were so lucky to have IMP and others doing great work in convincing bands to come up and see us. Saves on the petrol if anything!

I could be wrong, but bands on their way up tended to play shows at the Tunnels, Moshulu or Kef on their first tours. However, it's quite possible that it's more of a comment on the music scene in general and I'll openly admit I was more likely to go and see major-signed post-Franz / pre-Arctics type bands than I would be now.

I dunno, it really does seem though that the list of tickets in One Up is now about half the size it was...and a good few of them are coach tickets to festivals down south!