aberdeen-music

New Megadeth

Hog

Yes.

I wanted to hate it, but I don't it's pretty fucking decent. The opening instrumental is a belter and there is a whole lot influence from the Cryptic Writings/Youthansia even World Needs a Hero albums, which is a good thing. Chris Broderick is amazing and Dave's lyrics aren't total shit this time around either.

Definitely my least favourite of the "big four" thrash bands, although Megadeth seemed to have come nowhere near the other three when it comes to losing the plot, musically.

Dunno like, they did some cracking stuff back in the 80s, Rust In Peace, Peace Sells, and Countdown To Extinction were all among my favourite albums in my formative years. I fucking loved Countdown. I still spin it now and again. Fantastic album.

Rust In Peace and Peace Sells are decent records. I do prefer the first 3 Metallica records and Slayer's South of Heaven and Reign in Blood though, as well as most things Anthrax did. I have a soft spot for Anthrax. Even the shitty shitty nu-metal stuff of recent times. Actually, no. Not really, although I'd favour it over listening to St Anger, but it really is like choosing where you'd want to be shot.

At least Megadeth appear to be just doing the same kind of thing as usual, where as the other three have gone way off the boil in the past 5, 10, even 15 years.

Rust In Peace and Peace Sells are decent records. I do prefer the first 3 Metallica records and Slayer's South of Heaven and Reign in Blood though, as well as most things Anthrax did. I have a soft spot for Anthrax. Even the shitty shitty nu-metal stuff of recent times.

At least Megadeth appear to be just doing the same kind of thing as usual, where as the other three have gone way off the boil in the past 5, 10, even 15 years.

Anthrax were the shittest of the big four IMO. Never took to them, even when I was a kid and really into thrash I thought they were kinda shit.

You could have a whole thread discussing the last time Metallica released anything good. But if anyone says anything other than "And Justice For All" they are wrong. And that's fact. OK, opinion then.

Did you ever hear the story about Megadeth playing a gig in Northern Ireland, and Dave Mustaine rather ill-advisedly trying to get the crowd on his side by yelling things like "Give Ireland back to the Irish" and other IRA slogans. Apparently they had to flee the city in a bulletproof bus. Dunno how much of that is true like, but funny story nonetheless.

Anthrax were the shittest of the big four IMO. Never took to them, even when I was a kid and really into thrash I thought they were kinda shit.

You could have a whole thread discussing the last time Metallica released anything good. But if anyone says anything other than "And Justice For All" they are wrong. And that's fact. OK, opinion then.

I don't even like Justice. It sounds like a demo recording, and I just don't like the songs either. I proper love the song 2x4 from Load though. Man, that song is so righteous. Fine, if they didn't want to keep rehashing thrash, then that's cool. But why all the radio rock and orchestras? Balls. Why couldn't Load just sound like 45 minutes of songs like 2x4? Total sleeze rock, with grooves a mile wide.

I don't know why I liked Anthrax. If I listened to it now, I would go back in time and kick the 14 year old me repeatedly in the neck, but back then, it ruled my life.

Megadeth have certainly had their fair share of going astray. A lot of people think that Risk and World Needs a Hero were pretty tame and shite, I like them, but the last two albums they did were crap I thought. They sounded like Megadeth, but a total rip off of their old stuff. At least this new album feels like a proper band again and is way better written.

I agree about Countdown, a brilliant album. Also Rust in Peace, full of brilliant, technical metal.

One thing about Dave Mustaine, he might not be the best singer in the world but the stuff he can play and sing at the same time is untouchable. An example of this has to be "Take no prisoners" from Rust in Peace, I can't believe that he can sing and play that at the same time.

New album is a grower, way better than some of the shite he has released in the last few years.

Anthrax.... IMHO a very underrated band. Sound of White Noise is indeed a classic. I also really like "Volume 8- The threat is real".

Anthrax were easily the most fun of the big four, imo. Metallica and Slayer were always my favourites, but when it comes to writing a simplistic, straight-forward, bouncy trash song? I don't think there's anyone else that compares. They were never the most technically interesting of bands but there's nothing quite like Caught in a Mosh, Antisocial, or Metal Thrashing Mad when you're young and have a fuckload of energy to expend. They dumbest thing they ever did was punting John Bush, though.

I enjoyed Megadeth - Rust and Countdown are fantastic albums, but I haven't touched either of them for years. Their last two albums were piss-boring, but that seems to be an opinion shared by a few people here, so I'll probably check the new one. Shit, who's even in the band these days? I completely lost track after Mustaine fired David Ellefson (sp?).