aberdeen-music

Your Musical History

Soda Jerk

Guest idol_wild
Whatever happened to Hookers Green no.1? They made a fantastic album, then a great single, then I never heard any more from them. Someone enlighten me?

I think, basically, they went their separate ways. Perhaps Richard will offer more of an insight if he feels it is necessary...

A band I enjoyed a lot, though. :up:

Oddity (2000 - 2003)

My first band that sounded like "my first band". Played awful "punk" music that was inspired by Pennywise, Millencolin and early hardcore. Got compared to Minor Threat, Early Misfits, Gorilla Biscuits etc. Changed our style for a much more "indie" sound. Ended up sounding like Jerry Built meets early Biffy Clyro. I played bass and did half of the singing. Band broke up because I decided to play with another band...

Contra (2003 - 2006)

They were my favourite Aberdeen band by a country mile. They played Ska/Reggae/and played Punk Rock faster than anyone in Aberdeen. Sounded like a mix of Capdown, Rancid, The Bronx etc. They are still playing to this day, and they are still great.

We Shall Be Blessed (2005 - 2008)

I played bass and occasionally did backing vocals in this outfit. Played a sort of Grindcore/Tech Death Metal crossover similar to The Red Chord, Premonitions Of War, TUSK etc. Played a load of gigs with this band. Played in England for a week. Never properly released anything. Wish we had. Loved playing in this band. Played our first gig with The Great Deceiver, shared the stage with loads of great bands, Yacopsae, Magrudergrind, Himsa, Remembering Never, Cephalic Carnage, The Hope Conspiracy, Walls Of Jericho and loads of others.

My Minds Weapon (2008 - Present)

Originally joined them as a stand in bass player until they found someone. But after having loads of fun playing with the guys, most of whom I was mates with for years, I decided to stick with it, and have been enjoying it ever since. Working on album number 2 just now, and it's going to be awesome.

Zillah (2009 - Present)

Moved to Edinburgh this year and was instantly asked to join this band. Loving the new material. This band sound like a mix between Ion Dissonance, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, Neurosis etc. Signed to Retribute records and a possible new label announcement soon. Exciting times and all that.

Yas

The seagull song is the best song EVER written..... there has been NOTHING like it ever.

Jim/Mike/Ian - these people are in the know

• 4 months later...
The seagull song is the best song EVER written..... there has been NOTHING like it ever.

Jim/Mike/Ian - these people are in the know

100% truth.

I played in three bands:

Contra (bass)

Gerold, Ross & myself formed this trio while at Aberdeen uni. Had some amazing shows. My personal favorite was probably the first Fishstock at Lava/Kef. The Lemon Tree gig with Aereogramme was pretty good too. 'Explosive' remains my favorite recorded output and I'm glad to hear they're still going strong.

We Become Less (bass/vox)

James Johnson is an incredibly talented songwriter. Playing in a band with him just felt right - I've yet to experience the same kind of kinship with another musician. I always felt as though WBL could've gone further than we did if only we'd been a little more focused. I think my favorite show was a Fudgenight at Moshulu with My Minds Weapon and Eric Euan - we played well and impressed ourselves that night.

Today We Fight! (guitar)

By far the most care-free and downright fun band I was lucky enough to be a part of. We started off pretty shakey but once James joined on bass, everything really fell into place. We were fortunate enough to have one of the best drummers in the land - Neil Warrack - which more than made up for my shoddy guitar playing. By the time we ended, we'd toured the UK twice, put out a 7" record and played with tons of quality bands. Our last Edinburgh gig will be forever imprinted on my mind.

Guest Bob Double Jack

Here goes......I've really had to dig through the memory for this one.

(1993 - 2000) Cost Of Status

As with everyones first band, we thought we were great, and latterly we actually became ok, although we had a really shit name. really shit - i didn't come up with it, but i still don't know what it means. We played quite a few gigs over the years, and the line-up changed quite a lot over the years. First real gig was at the Neptune, half my school was there. and we were fucking terrible. Played the usual haunts (malt mill / drummonds / moorings / lemon tree) at various stages, and by the time we changed our name, we had a pretty steady line up, and had written some decent tunes.

(2000-Present) Double Jack

We changed our name in 2000, cos the other one was pish. we recorded an album which we did through fat hippy records. album was really let down by poor production, and naivety on our parts as far as that was concerned. however, i still think the tunes on the album were mostly good. we did a tour of sorts with black atom, got some really cool support slots at moshulu and drummonds (notably Thin Lizzy, Graham Bonnet, Girlschool, Blaze Bayley, the Quireboys) but that was always really going to be the stretch of it. We all got to an age where it was more about making a few beer tokens in the end as opposed to wanting to pursue it further. We kept the same line up for 6 years, and the last gig we played as that line up was great. We also had some great fun doing local showcase gigs with Atom, Turning 13, KArloff and many more.

Now, we're down to a 3 piece and solely doing covers. ~Now, I know that cover bands get a pretty raw deal on this site and fuck knows why. there are some great musicians in cover bands in the town, probably better than some of the people in "original" bands/ The reasons I do it? I love playing guitar, I love gigging and I'd rather do what I'm doing now than not doing anything. I will never ever join a wedding band. Also, the money is pretty good, and when you've got a young family, every little helps. So get off your high horses about cover bands, they have as much of a job to do than "original" bands. If you don't like them, dont go and see them, but i can guarantee you, every single person on this forum has at some point in their life.... enjoyed a covers band (yup, you know it's true!)

Side Projects

Skint Lizzy (2000 - 2009) - Thin Lizzy Tribute; had some great fun doing this.

Irn Midden (2 gigs for charity) - Iron Maiden tribute - really enjoyable.

In Your Honour (foo fighters tribute - 2007-2009) - We could have made a lot of cash doing this, but not to be unfortunately. had a great weekend of gigs in shetland though.

Green Days (1 gig for charity) - really didn't enjoy it at all. sorry lads.

haha excellent thread! my musical history reads much like any successfuly musicians history although with out the success and musical ability... :up:

1995ish to 1999ish: Played classical guitar, took regular lessons and joined a school orchastra. Technically I should be shit hot on the guitar because of this but I never practiced much at all! :down:

2001 to 2007: The Scott and Doob Show Me on guitar or bass, my best mate on drums or guitar. Good times, wrote songs in afternoons and made wee demos for our own amusement when we had time, rock and pop punk mostly. Once convinced a group of pish heads we wrote Kyuss' Freedom Run when we recorded it onto the B side of our demo tape!! :up:

2001 to possibly as far as 2002: Scott, Doob, Sanj and John. My fist band while at school, pop punk to the max! We never made it past bedroom rehearsals but good times none the less.

2002 to 2009: Derived by Insdecision My mate Scott and myself were asked to join this band, me on second guitar and scott as a "temporary" drummer. I ended up on bass after we lost touch with the origonal bassist. (if anyone knows Andrew Grieg from inverurie acadamy get in touch!!) The band recorded some terrible demos and achieved nothing!! We did one gig at a Youth conference in Aberdeen, many moons ago, it was very bad!!

2007 to 2008: Granite Ruin I blagged a lead guitar slot but was kicked out after almost a year or so due to work clashing too much. Also I'm a woefull lead guitarist but the guys must have been too polite to say!! Good times again! I missed all the gigs apart from an open mic at the Moorings....

2008: Irritable Down Syndrome I played bass in this epic sludge machine. also recorded a demo which has never been finished.... my bad

2009: Echo Tunnels I joined this band on bass but it imploded two rehearsals later, I think I gave them band Aids after having unprotected rehearsals with multipul bands.

2010 to present: Glassman Playing bass for this stoner rock monster :cheers:

Guest Bob Double Jack
haha excellent thread! my musical history reads much like any successfuly musicians history although with out the success and musical ability... :up:

spot on for almost every post on this thread!

2008: Irritable Down Syndrome I played bass in this epic sludge machine. also recorded a demo which has never been finished.... my bad

It's kinda fitting that such a slow band has taken so long to get any tangible product. Give us a shout when you've finished tweaking it. And we technically never split up either...

:up:

It's kinda fitting that such a slow band has taken so long to get any tangible product. Give us a shout when you've finished tweaking it. And we technically never split up either...

I was meaning to get in touch regarding this!

Looking forward to hearing the finished product!

I was meaning to get in touch regarding this!

Looking forward to hearing the finished product!

I actually have a couple of "as finished as there going to get" versions of the tune, one with added "frilly bits". I ended up selling my mixer and replaced it with cubase but the computer appears to just fail under the epicness of this tune so I can't really add anything more. I'll get some copies made up!

1994 - 1997 General Zod

A novelty rock covers band. Went downhill when we started to play Pavement covers.

1999 - 2001 Coriolis

A metal band. Nobody really seemed to like us.

2001 - 2003 Subsistence

People seemed to quite like us, but hardly anyone came to our gigs except our final gig which was a double funeral with Dos Dedos

2002 - 2004 Spinal Pap

Spinal Tap "tribute" band. Did three shows and on the third one had pyros in the Lemon Tree.

2003 - 2005 Electric Tibet

Don't really need to say much about this band. Unfortunately most of the members left Aberdeen, including myself.

2005 - present The Leonard Jones Potential

The Leonard Jones Potential on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Inverness based eight piece funk band. Arguably the most successful band I've played in. After our first gig we got booked for the main stage at Belladrum, had lots of airplay including Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show, local and national press exposure. I'm basically going through my musical ambitions and ticking them off one by one with this band. We're getting a crowd of around 200-300 at our gigs in Inverness and when people who you've never seen before turn up knowing all the words to your songs it's pretty exciting!

Inverness based eight piece funk band. Arguably the most successful band I've played in. After our first gig we got booked for the main stage at Belladrum, had lots of airplay including Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show, local and national press exposure. I'm basically going through my musical ambitions and ticking them off one by one with this band. We're getting a crowd of around 200-300 at our gigs in Inverness and when people who you've never seen before turn up knowing all the words to your songs it's pretty exciting!

That is awesome. Have you done your Jazz Bar gig yet?

We're there on the 26th of June, then Craig Charles on 24th July. Have you played yet?

Yeah it was really good, I'm sure you'll go down a storm there. It was quite hard keeping it up for an hour and half though (well not quite that long). But definetely playing better because of it!

This is such a great thread. I'm not going to bother with a list of bands I've been in because it's probably not very interesting. Here's my first one though:

Precision: Three 10 year olds who liked "punk" music and CDs with Parental Advisory stickers. We formed to compete in our primary school's talent show. I was on vocals and a Casio keyboard that was broken and stuck on "synth trumpet" (which was handy cos I thought it sounded brilliant). We made a drumkit out of old tins of baked beans and cat food and performed a cover of Teenage Dirtbag at the school talent show. We came in 2nd and got a 5 Woolworths voucher to share. I bought a bottle of Lilt and a Feeder cassette single with my winnings. I think I suggested that we wait for my voice to break and for the guitarist to get an electric guitar before we do anything again. Needless to say that was the end of it. I think we were going to do a Slipknot cover because we found some boiler suits in the aforementioned garage, but that never saw the light of day. Can't believe that this was a decade ago.

We played for around 90mins last weekend and it was pretty damn brutal! It's our drummer and singer that feel the pain worst as our set is pretty relentless these days. Did you get a decent crowd through the door? You get a cut of the door on top of the guaranteed fee don't you?

Yeah, that's the deal. We actually did pretty well out of it, covered most of our van hire for the 4 days. There must have been about 88 through the door based on what we got.

This is such a great thread. I'm not going to bother with a list of bands I've been in because it's probably not very interesting. Here's my first one though:

Precision: Three 10 year olds who liked "punk" music and CDs with Parental Advisory stickers. We formed to compete in our primary school's talent show. I was on vocals and a Casio keyboard that was broken and stuck on "synth trumpet" (which was handy cos I thought it sounded brilliant). We made a drumkit out of old tins of baked beans and cat food and performed a cover of Teenage Dirtbag at the school talent show. We came in 2nd and got a 5 Woolworths voucher to share. I bought a bottle of Lilt and a Feeder cassette single with my winnings. I think I suggested that we wait for my voice to break and for the guitarist to get an electric guitar before we do anything again. Needless to say that was the end of it. I think we were going to do a Slipknot cover because we found some boiler suits in the aforementioned garage, but that never saw the light of day. Can't believe that this was a decade ago.

Please reform this band. I'm imagining a cross between Suicide/early B-52's with a little bit of the Flying Lizards the pop sensibility of Weezer. Basically, the best band that Aberdeen has ever seen. Adding an electric guitar is the worst thing that could happen to this band. In my head, I love all your albums and listen to them everyday.

• 3 weeks later...