aberdeen-music

Your Musical History

Soda Jerk

It was all amazing. AMAZING! "Cocaine is a hell of drug"....Gotta love Rick James.

To be honest it all kinda stumbled from that point on. Kartta began to meander and feel a little lost. You were impossible to replace Scotty. Sweet, sweet memories though.

Will give Phil an EP for you before he heads down again.

Yeah, it would have been good to keep playing with you guys, but I don't think we would have ended up wanting to be going in the same direction. Don't let craig hear you say I was impossible to replace, he'd hate that!

Thanks for the EP, that would be swell. Hope tonight goes well, and I'm sorry I can't be there, and I'm sorry I couldn't actually play the gig with you guys, it would have been fun.

On another note rob, download the Daysleepers album "Drowned In A Sea Of Sound". Sounds like Cocteau Twins/Slowdive crossed with the guitar parts of the Cure. It's all sorts of awesome, and right up your street I reckon.

Fukin awesome band. Never heard of till now, R8 enjoyed.

As for me:

Make your Time: Lossiemouth based pop punk covers band, i must have been about 14-15? Featured Doug of Fuct Off/Weeping Jesus/Disease/Man the Fuck Up.Filled in on bass bass whilst my brother was in India. Played one gig; god awful.

Loganberry: Again Lossie based pop punk, though i adopted the drums. Wrote one song, terrible terrible stuff. Played gigs in Elgin youth cafe with 'Snurge' (Dan from The Upstarts)

and one really strange experience at the Findhorn foundation.

Lupus: When i started play drums properly i formed a jam band with a few Lossie mates, never gigged, though it was fun. Wrote a few songs, in the vain of The Doors and Black Sabbath.

Weeping Jesus: Joined a metal/punk outfit with Richard singing and Aaron (Ablach) on guitarz, Doug (see above) and Callum (Kchgh/Fuct Off), who i knew from college, joined respectively. Started by learning a few discharge covers. Played a few gigs in kef drummonds etc, ace fun though i dont think we were received well.

Dis-ease: After much fuking about with Richard, for whatever reason, he left, leaving Callum to shout into the microphone. We started to write quite different stuff with lots of notes, though its still kept its speed. Disbanded after i moved from Aberdeen.

Isylore: Isylore on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Proggy metal, not unlike Opeth. Knew Ross (guiat/vox) for some bizarre moshulu related reason and offered to play drums whilst drunk, think that was around 2005. Musically, it is the creativity of Ross, writing most songs on guitar pro, then working it out as a band. We also consisted of Stu (guitar) and Mark (bass) who wrote some lyrics, about war time or summat. Again, disbanded afteri moved away. After a few failed attepmts at pursuing a long distance electronic rehashes of old material with Ross, we're currently jamming again with a new bassist.

The Offering: The Offering on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Expeimental electronic nonsense with Aaron (Abalch). Havn't done much in the way of actual stuff, but we have the rest of our young lives.

Crayon Revival: Pop band from Dundee, played bass, but lost our drummer recently to Copenhagen, so i have taken to seat, or at least i think i have. Kinda stressful, especially when i have to play the piano.

Kchgh: Current 'main' band. Not diminish the importance of anything else I'm doing, just seems to have the most going on. Techy nonsense with Callum (Fuct off/Dis-ease), James (e106) and Sid (End of Everything). Most fun i have had playing and writing in a while, though i need to get fit so that i can play it. Played a few gigs, they dont last long as our set is like 15mins.

Shupostekud: Neon Jason on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Own electronic music, just make it to flex my musical muscle, however weak it may be. Using reason cubase etc, plus various pieces of kit.

Sebastian Van Rees: Downloaded autotune and thought it would be fun to write a generic pop song with an 'associate'. not got a myspace or owt yet, but will soon.

thats it i think.

aye Zillah are pretty immense. The first song on the myspace player is a new one uploaded today with me playing bass on it. Joined and recorded my first tune on Tuesday. Yas

Haha, I remember that night, I was the sound guy. Hilarious.

You did the sound for our second gig as well then when we supported Jersey Budd and that was equally as odd. There were more beachballs than people at the Tunnels that night. Jersey Budd played to three people (excluding Tunnels staff and entourage) consisting of me and two old blokes who walked in for a pint. He still introduced his band to the crowd, 10 out of 10 for effort I guess.

In my teens I had some mates who started dabbling with forming a group. One guy had a ramshackle drum kit that he had cobbled together and I fell into slot as 'drummer', despite having never played, due to being slightly less inept than the other available guy who took on bass duties. By this I mean I could co-ordinate my arms and legs sufficiently to play a beat. Being barely proficient it wasn't great, although the nominal lead guitarist had a fair talent for learning songs by ear. Our repertoire consisted of U2, Stiff Little Fingers and Cult songs. With no singer. The lead guitarist, who owned the drum 'kit' and was the leader of the group, got wind of someone who actually owned a kit and decided a proper drum kit was key to becoming a good band so I was given an ultimatum to either get a kit or leave. So I left, having insufficient funds at 14/15 to buy a drum kit. They kept going with the same repertoire for a while but never went anywhere.

I eventually found myself in a situation in my late 20's where I had suitable funds + housing to get a drum kit so I bought one and proceeded to self-teach.

Discovered Aberdeen-Music and started thinking about trying to join a band.

About 2004/2005 I joined Sin E who became Port of Saints. Played a few gigs in The Malt Mill(!?!) and Tunnels. Eventually left due to bizarre plans to do a mid-week residence in ICI's which seemed like the worst idea ever and was largely based on the fact a supply of free drink was to be available which wasn't really as compatible with my working life as the other guys. Also I didn't fancy playing at Free at the Dee. So I left. I did however meet diminutive tyrant Jan for the first time.

After a while I applied as drummer for Dedalus. In the reincarnated version. Played a fair few gigs with various set lists and songs in stages of development ranging from not bad nick to barely proficient before the band imploded. Disappointing as I feel there was potential for good things.

The remnants of Dedalus plus a few other folk then formed a band which became Kartta. Played lots of gigs and had some abortive attempts at recording which sadly never progressed to public consumption - sad because there was good things going on in there. I ended up leaving as I felt my newly arrived fatherhood was likely to hold them back from what they wanted to do. With hindsight this probably wouldn't have been the case. Oh well. Will see their last gig tonight though.

I didn't really have any plans band wise following that, then Jan asked me to play for 1864 in Art and after a few jams we seemed to have some decent works in progress, sadly Jim the hairy bass demon left for pastures new after 2 gigs and nothing has really come together since although I don't believe it is deid yet.

Due to lack of 1864 activity and no foreseeable plan I offered to play for Winter in Siberia, 2 gigs have been played thus far and nothing has happened for a few weeks due to holidays and such.

• Upvote 2

One Night Stand (2006) - A one off gig for an awards evening at work. Had Shaki on drums although he never mentioned it in his post (either through shame or forgetfulness...I suspect the former) but I'm bringing it up as it was my first time on bass. Very cheesy as nobody knew we were going to play then up we get on stage and...BINGO BANGO...we start playing as a band. Ran through the crowd pleasers and got an encore as well, go us! Gig was on Friday night, we were legends till about Monday tea break.

Ha! I found the setlist for that gig when I was moving. I'll maybe PM it to you rather than post it here :O Can't believe I forgot to include that - Kings of the Canteen that blessed Monday tea break.

I believe the line up read:

Scott McKenzie, Distribution - vocals

Mark Lenthall, Business Advertising Manager - lead guitar

Andy Kite, Marketing Executive - bass

Scott Elmslie, Motors Advertising Manager - guitar

Duncan Dallas, Recruitment Advertising Executive - drums

ROCK n FUCKING ROLL :up:

Mondrahagiography pt 2

Where was I, oh yeah, at work, thats why I had to stop, anyhoo, after that load of old crap I did I went through a total reaction against all that Heavy Metal gubbins, to the point that its only now that I can listen to some of that stuff again, eventually started finding stuff I liked, and got turned onto Electronic Music (Martin Chapman, hello and sorry), and the wonders of doing everything yourself. So with my flatmate Erlend Tait's (future RAAR member) 4 track made some stuff as...

Indica 1994-97 Crap name/reference, no gigs, sporadic work with other people's gear, no trace remains. Very much not seminal. Then I got a Groovebox, and the Means of Production was in my hands.Then either through a divine revelation, or because I was watching the '98 World Cup, I realised that (part) of my destiny was to be...

Mondragon 1998-present Groovebox workin, plus with help from Sven Perth aka Double ID worked on some Jungle tracks which in retrospect, er, arenae great, plus some more mid paced funk electro breaks. Was hanging with mates who created Kia-Aura (best club night in Aberdeen ever) and so joined up with a couple of them to create the mighty...

Optoplan 1999-2003 Kia-Aura House (in all senses of the term) band, electrofunk discotek a speciality with DJ Mikey Urquhart and Andy Davidson fae Culter. Highlights include playing the first KA boat party on Loch Lomond, numerous nights at Drum, The Pelican and Shitey Esko, then back to the Peli, getting wrecked and some airplay. Fizzled out with Andy on the rigs, and Mikey making records under his Jonee Q alias. So, I'm in my final year at Uni, my whole future in the balance, the obvious thing to do is... join another band, so having spied some mates getting a good thing going I joined...

A.K.A. the Fox 2004-2007 which was a)easily the best band I was ever in and b) Nothing to do with Fox, wot I used to be in, I tried to persuade them to change it before deciding it was some kind of fate. It was Me, Steve Urquhart on bass & sequencing(yes he is), Brendan Lamont (vox), Tina Hakim (gtr) and the mighty Bowman on sax n vox, later joined bt Mikey Urquhart on synths and Killer Campsie on drums (now in Miss The Occupier). Our first year and a half surpassed all my expectations, ending with us last on the Tbreak stage on a Saturday night up against New Order and James Brown and whoever was on the main stage, some ding, and still getting a full tent, ace. After that we never did enough, made some bad decisions, and fizzled out.

Ridiculous the lot of it, so now I'm trying to persuade some of the old gang to form something, but will probably have to find some random Glaswegians to collaborate with. I doubt I'll ever have even modest success (I mean REALLY doubt), but its the journey that makes it worthwhile, what the fuck else am I going to do, Mondragon endures.

I tried to resist... But i couldn't

Formed first band at school. We had a different name every month or two - THE VIBRATING WIRES (1992-94?) was the name that stuck - admittedly, it's as gash as the rest were. Recorded our only demo 'Pigsear' down in Glasgow - it was jangely shite. "The Wires" played at the sixth year school prom: we were truely dreadful, I recognise with hindsight. But the audience invaded the stage in a friendly manner and proclaimed us Gods anyway. I sang very badly, hiding behind a pair of shades so I didn't have to look at anyone. Martin Deadloss played guitar - due to his unfailing technique, his guitar was covered in blood by the end of the gig, as it has been at every show since. Craig Deadloss played tambourine, got drunk, and fell asleep in some dog shit under a park bench - there's a pattern there too.

Around then we became aware of The Lorelei. As a local act who totally rocked and actually had some charisma, they inspired us to form a 'proper' band... SCUFF (1994?-98?) wrote much better songs and rehearsed, but were still quite indie sounding. Featuring Pogo (later of Clocker fame) and the drummer from Fools Gold, we recorded a few demos at Fluxus and Jim G played us on Northsound a few times. We played semi-frequently in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and loads in Aberdeen, where we almost always played with our best buddies, Clocker. Highlights include playing with power-tools at our (only) Lemon Tree show, but Scuff probably peaked with a gig down in London: new songs, free booze, and hot sex. If you grew up listening to Motley Crue and Guns N Roses, that's pretty much a textbook gig...

...... as an aside, Ross from Moshulu/Bond*Age/Dos Dedos was one of our biggest fans - he came to all the gigs and danced at the front. We all thought he was a bit simple :D

Then our tunes man ditched his Strat and bought a red SG. I think that was the key. We crawled into a damp, dark place for six months, and emerged with a new drummer as DEADLOSS SUPERSTAR (1998?-2002) - "sometimes brilliant, sometimes dire, never knowingly inbetween" was our motto. I seem to recall Chris Officer saying he booed us offstage the first time he saw us... We also had a period where I 'scratched' records over various songs... but let's quickly gloss over that. We all lived together like The Monkees: we did a tour, we self-released an album, we had a track on Lithium Records Volume One, we got banned from venues, we smashed up TV sets and home-furnishings onstage, we sawed a christmas tree in half, soundmen attacked us mid-set, bands tried to fight us, guitars got broken and we generally had a rocking time. Well, some of us did. The others quit.

By now we were putting on our own shows and writing a fanzine. We wanted a crowd-puller, so we formed a covers band and booked ourselves. RAGE AGAINST THE ABERDEEN MUSIC SCENE (2000-present) was born. Mart and Pogo Deadloss, Al Clocker and the infamous local scenester Pete Harper all joined me in dipping their toes in RATM, Limp Bizkit and Deftones. I made a Zak wig out of wool and a swimming cap, and we played 'in character'. Some of the most fun gigs I've played, including a packed Lemon Tree, circlepits at Westhill Community Centre, someone breaking their wrist crowdsurfing in Exodus and a slamming gig in Lava where 'Head-Up' almost killed me. We haven't played in years, but talk about it sometimes when we get drunk.

Then at some point we brought Bristol-based dark-hop merchant MOTHBOY up for a show. We hit it off and he did some remixes of Deadloss tracks. Inspired by this, Mart Deadloss and I formed ALT.ROCK T.M. (2001?-present). Mothboy sent us some electro tracks, and we just attempted to throw some guitars and Cajun-French voodoo chants on top. We played one amazing gig at Kef (joined by Kenny Lucas and Adam Sinister Waltz) which involved jungle beats, oil drums, sledgehammers, Bill Hicks samples, Spiderman masks and a lot of fucking noise. Mikey Subsist wrote a review for our fanzine, it's on the webpage:

ALT-ROCK TM on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

One day we WILL play another gig, and it will be truely terrifying.

Which brings us finally to DEADLOSS MOTHER FUCKIN SUPERSTAR (2003-present). With the addition of James (We Become Less) and Waz (My Decaying Leg) from local legands TAR on bass and drums, we found our voice and Deadloss became the band I always wanted to be in. Unpredictable! Punky! Rocky! A bit Metal! But with tunes! We've released a couple of EPs, toured, and played some (in our heads) monumentally good gigs - most notably a somewhat enjoyable and chaotic 'invite only' show at Exile Studios. We also gained a cello player. More recently, Rass from Black Atom joined on bass, and the legendary Pete Harper joined on drums. We may have peaked with shows in Stockholm a couple of years ago - we now rarely play and never rehearse - but new material is lurking in the pipeline!

Deadloss Superstar on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall Chris Officer saying he booed us offstage the first time he saw us... We also had a period where I 'scratched' records over various songs... but let's quickly gloss over that.

No way, the first time I saw you was in the Pelican (coldest gig ever?) possibly with Halcion Daze. I thought you guys were great and I seem to remember drunkenly saying so afterwards...

You did the scratching thing then. Probably best not to go into that too much.

By now we were putting on our own shows and writing a fanzine. We wanted a crowd-puller, so we formed a covers band and booked ourselves. RAGE AGAINST THE ABERDEEN MUSIC SCENE (2000-present) was born. Mart and Pogo Deadloss, Al Clocker and the infamous local scenester Pete Harper all joined me in dipping their toes in RATM, Limp Bizkit and Deftones. I made a Zak wig out of wool and a swimming cap, and we played 'in character'. Some of the most fun gigs I've played, including a packed Lemon Tree, circlepits at Westhill Community Centre, someone breaking their wrist crowdsurfing in Exodus and a slamming gig in Lava where 'Head-Up' almost killed me. We haven't played in years, but talk about it sometimes when we get drunk.

I would like this to gig again.

That gig in Westhill was ace fun.

:up:

My history.......

Before Aberdeen,

I played guitar at school in a Indie/experimental/rock band called High Tide (1995-1998), we played a lot of local gigs around Fife area, cut a demo at a studio in Glenrothes, and it fell apart when I moved to Aberdeen. Was really good fun though, shame I got rid of me guitars n amps when I moved to Aberdeen, I was building up quite a collection.

I also played guitar in a punk band while at school too called Scruffy Muff. (1996-98) This was along side the other band I was playing in. We basically wanted to Nirvana, but instead sounded like Green Day. Guitars where worn low and shitty 3 chord songs where written. It started to develop quite a bit before I left School. We played a few local gigs and descoverd the joys of cider.

I then moved to Aberdeen for Uni.

I started a band with a few mates again playing guitar but I can not remember the name of it. It was nu-metal inspired tunes. (1999-2000)

I then switched to vocals for a metal band. This was the first time that I met my current guitarist Campbell. It was a shitty wee 4 peiece metal band that sounded a lot like Pantera. The name again has gone from my memory as it did not last long. This was back in 2004 i think.

A Dead Issue (2005-2006). I guess this was my first proper band in Aberdeen. It was a hardcore metal band. This was my first proper go at vocals too. It never really got anywhere but we did record a wee demo at Toms and where about to start gigging before it sort of fell apart. It did however start the foundations for my current band.

R.I.P A Dead Issue on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Campbell, Pete and meself then formed Forever Tied, (2006-2008). This was a Metalcore/metal/hardcorey band. We got to play a fair few gigs in Aberdeen and outside of Aberdeen. Including playing with Broken Oath, In Decades Decline, Kaddish, Lobotomized, Bonesaw etc..We made a wee demo at Toms with original Drummer. Then Callum from Ablach/Bonesaw joined us to play drums. There where a few good times and a few bad times.

Forever Tied **SPLIT UP** on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I then played bass in a wee soundscape band for a little while called Epic of Fate... but that never really got anywhere. Lasted a few months.

Then I started Choose Your Fate (2008-Present). It got Campbell n Pete back talking to each other and we started the ball rolling with a Hardcore Metal project. We have played a fair few gigs now. Did a wee demo at Toms. Have had way too many drummers in such a short space of time. Currently have Matt from Downfall filling in on Drums the now.

Pete is away to leave Aberdeen in early October and the future of the band is sorta undecided at the moment. Hopefully we can find a full time drummer and carry on as a 4 peiece but we shall see......

Choose Your Fate on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Our next gig is the 20th September in Snafu..... :-)

I am now also playing guitar again....... in a band called Eternal Idol. This band has been on the cards for a wee while now.. and has finally got a full line up. We are jamming away and should hopefully be gigging in the not too distant future. Oh and it is a Doom/sludge/stoner metal band.... it is going to be well good fun playing this stuff live. Was trying to keep this all under wraps for now... but what the hell.. just hope folk like it.

So there ya go my music history lol...

Impure Transfusion - a shit nu metal band when I was 15. I did 2nd guitar. It was fucking terrible. played 1 gig in the Spanish ambassador to the UAE's garden for a house party.

Dementia - me and a guy from impure transfusion and 2 other dudes. playing pretty much the same songs. 1 gig. we sucked.

Element 106 - was vocalist for a while. according to Bry Fudge I offended alot of people with silly stage banter. we did play the unoffical highest gig above sea level with Bodies up at the lecht. I left.

Barzakh - Abu Dhabi black metal recorded on a tape player in the drummer's basement. I made up words on the spot. tape later got released with full artwork etc by some underground European black metal label. None of the three of us had anything to do with any of it, apart from Emir I think sent it to some people in necro as fuck people in black emtal IRC chat rooms: YouTube - Barzakh - ...And Thus We Set Thy Dreams Aflame (if you listen closely at the start of that video, you can hear the drummer's sister and her mate laughing)

Voice of Aggression - blackened crusty metal hardcore with Dave Rowlands and ALBOLLOX. A demo and a split with EatYerGreens, mini Benelux and Irish tour. Ace jams, good times!

Filthpact - VOA drummer left, got new drummer and 2nd guitarist, became Filthpact. Lots of euro tours, UK tours, Irish tours, 3 plsit releases, and a discography, then broke up suddenly. Filthpact on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Fighting Cougars - did an 8 date German tour as guitarist after joining the band 2 days before the tour, then 1 Glasgow gig. Fuckin ridiculous stories. Disbordertrek Tour - Teabags's MySpace Blog |

Vomitus - unholiest band in Aberdeen ever. Vomitus on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The Butchers of Bakersfield - thrash about arnie movies. fucking ace fun, not very serious. The Butchers Of Bakersfield on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Fuctoff - fast blast thrash smash. one demo and tour with Yacopsae and Magrudergrind. Fun times. FuctOff on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Bullet Belt Bastards - fast stupid thrash with RoddyGevitter. 2 gigs to date, one with The Sloth doing vocals as a guest after 1 hour long practice and no lyrics. terrible but fun. BxBxBx on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Uncalm - current band. doing well so far. new recordings on the way. angry as fuck hardcore. Uncalm on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

you forgot about legendary bands such as 1 practice wonders AAARGH! and 3 gig wonders Inshallah.

I had a dream about kiwi pete the other night

I then switched to vocals for a metal band. This was the first time that I met my current guitarist Campbell. It was a shitty wee 4 peiece metal band that sounded a lot like Pantera. The name again has gone from my memory as it did not last long. This was back in 2004 i think..

For some reason "Confide" jumps into my head...

o_O