aberdeen-music

Your Musical History

Soda Jerk

John from our old mates from the first time round, the Dawntreaders

John Martin?

He was a teacher at my old school (I think he joined just as I was leaving) and a really good guy. He caught me and my two other bandmates (during class hours) carrying a drum-set the long and hidden route down to the Turriff Gateway Centre where we had set up a mini studio for the day. Instead of reporting us to "proper" teachers, he just asked us what sort of stuff we were playing and if he could have a copy when we were finished!

What a guy. If we are indeed talking about the same fellow.

John Martin?

He was a teacher at my old school (I think he joined just as I was leaving) and a really good guy. He caught me and my two other bandmates (during class hours) carrying a drum-set the long and hidden route down to the Turriff Gateway Centre where we had set up a mini studio for the day. Instead of reporting us to "proper" teachers, he just asked us what sort of stuff we were playing and if he could have a copy when we were finished!

What a guy. If we are indeed talking about the same fellow.

Aye, the very same. I'll mention it to him. Did you give him a copy?

Dedalus - Steven and Rob used to come into One Up when I was doing Sonic Deth Monkey at drakes and I offered them a gig. Apart from a dodgy joy division cover I really liked them and they mentioned they were looking for another guitarist. We played epic post-punk stuff not too dissimilar to Interpol and Editors I guess and coulda made a go of it, only we were all pretty unorganised. Played an ace gig in Inverness. Also played the first Gavfest, Steven was so drunk he fell off the stage. Footage of this was rediscovered and will be appearing on youtube soon.

I really liked Dedalus. I still give the split EP with Politik (way back when...) a listen now and then. So there.

Dedalus - Steven and Rob used to come into One Up when I was doing Sonic Deth Monkey at drakes and I offered them a gig. Apart from a dodgy joy division cover I really liked them and they mentioned they were looking for another guitarist. We played epic post-punk stuff not too dissimilar to Interpol and Editors I guess and coulda made a go of it, only we were all pretty unorganised. Played an ace gig in Inverness. Also played the first Gavfest, Steven was so drunk he fell off the stage. Footage of this was rediscovered and will be appearing on youtube soon.

I still remeber the gig in the back room of Moshulu and being absolutely enchanted by Dedalus then. Epic is an overused word, but it definitely fits here. One of my all time favourite Aberdeen bands :)

2005-2007 YOUR OWN DISASTER - A poor mans Stayover. A VERY poor man. Played guitar and yelped.

One of your songs actually had quite a decent guitar hook in it, if I remeber rightly :)

orwell - guitar. 2nd ever band which was during uni days. pure awful indie rock with a shite name and the odd gash version of cover (mission of burma- thats when I reach for my revolver).

your being a little harsh there maxie, i remember orwell with fondness... although i believe i was completely hammered everytime i saw them play :up: you were shite though but you knew that anyways :up:

Aye, the very same. I'll mention it to him. Did you give him a copy?

Haha, awesome!

I never did get round to giving him a copy, but he gave me a Dawntreaders CD for free which I think I still have. I've just remembered that he gave my girlfriend guitar lessons aswell. Does he still work in the school? He was a pretty cool bloke.

This thread is ridiculously entertaining. I feel obliged to contribute my often terrible contributions.

Past endeavors (in order of appearance)

Smoking Banana Skins - playing punk rock/punk pop covers on drums.

A2C - dumming for an alt-rock/punk cover band reduced to terrible heavy metal/power metal by competitive guitar players. (don't get me wrong, it seemed like a great idea at the time)

Morpeth - yet more drums for a coal chamber/system of a down influenced band, named after a village near Newcastle.

Jester - End of high school, jumping around like a fanny, singing lots of poppy, angsty punk rock. Best memories provided mainly from gigs that the band were too drunk/busy chatting up girls to play. Particularly that one at the Chinese restaurant.

Up Satellite - Guitar, with added lack skill. Slightly overambitious hardcore punk/pop/post-space rock band. Went tits up. Sold name to Iomega for 40 Euros.

Acoustic guitar appreciation years - drinking whisky/ey and scrumpy, jamming with friends, writing a bunch of jazz influenced pop songs, touring the uk for an expensive couple of weeks with a teenage mutant hero turtles sleeping bag, making lots of friends, growing embarrassment of standing on a stage in front of people requiring actual entertainment.

Mark McCabe and the Tearoom Posse - Pleasant cynical folk pop adventure, playing a rickety bass guitar. Short career as 'the grumpy one' ended recently, seemingly assisting in the demise of the entire backing band. High points: supporting Dr Karl Kennedy off of Neighbours and Chris T-T.

Presently

Les Pelicans - Jangly mid-atlantic french-indie influenced pop affair. One major compilation contribution under their collective belt (thanks Alan Cynic!) and a bundle of rough laptop demos about items of fruit.

...also, some punk rock thing.

Fundamental Hate

2004-2006

Consisted of my friend Stuart on drums and myself on guitar. Never got anywhere at all, was just jamming in his garage playing Metallica and Slayer stuff with the intention of getting other people together to make it into something.

Ended up getting a friend (Sarah-Jane) to play bass and we played Master Of Puppets at a Cults talent show in 2005.

In 2006 we did another talent show and played two originals. Had Callum (ex-Weeping Jesus/Dis-Ease/current KCHGH bassist) to play bass and Aaron (ex-Weeping Jesus/Dis-Ease/current Ablach guitarist) to do vocals. We came 2nd. Aaron made a young girl cry :laughing:

Element 106

2006-present

Was approached by Hog about joining either via this site or when I went to an Element gig when I was 17. Had a jam and it seemed to go pretty well and the next jam was to play a track with them at the Moorings. Had to get special permission from Flash given my age haha. :D

Been good fun since. Couple of slight lineup ammendments and some usual band issues have arisen over the time but it's always been good :) Just need to move up a gear, make the heavy heavier and the melody more melodic this year ;)

KCHGH

2007?/2008-present

Ultra silly techtastic stuff with Callum and Jason (both ex-Weeping Jesus/Dis-Ease). Absolutely LOVE playing with this band. It is fun and feels very natural and comfortable, yet is so fulfilling in that I feel like I am getting to push myself and try really hard and outstep my usual comfort zone. Lots of intensity and effort but I think it yields good results. Only played 4 gigs so far (took a long time to get everything sorted vocally (tried out a couple before Sid (ex-End Of Everything) joined us :) Glad he did as it works very well!

We had a Moorings open mic effort a couple of weeks ago which involved just myself on guitar and Jason on drums instrumentally. Normally we tune to BEADGC but I never had a guitar with me (at the pub!) so played in standard E. Callum joined Sid on vocals, as did Aaron and Teabags. I could hardly play the stuff for laughing for the duration of the set hahahaha. It was great fun though!

Irritable Down Syndrome

2008-2008 (I think?!)

42 minutes, one song. Pretty heavy, very slow. It was certainly different. Not my usual thing at all but it wasn't bad! Was verging on moving into doing a Slayer cover tape but at the band's signature pace, which would have seen the name "Slower" :laughing:

Unnamed Thrash

2008-present

Been jamming with my mate Lewis on some very thrashy stuff. It's basically Master/Justice era Metallica. Good fun as that is the music that got me playing guitar and is very much my natural thing to do it seems. Bob (Rise) on drums now. Kieran (Which Way Now) on bass. Still needing vocals.

Lot of faith in this one. Just need to find the right vocalist and we're good to gig I think! :)

Man The Fuck Up!?

2009-present

Hardcore/Thrash mayhem with Aaron (ex-Weeping Jesus/Dis-Ease/current Ablach guitar) on bass, Doug (ex-Weeping Jesus/Dis-Ease guitar) on other guitar, Dave Rowlands (ex-Filthpact/current Ablach vocals) doing vocals and Nassim (work with him at R&B ;)) on drums.

Again, like the thrash band, I have LOTS and LOTS of faith in this. Mucho potential. Tonnes of heart and energy in everything. Could see it doing well if it keeps going the way it is. :)

Think got gigs sorted for October, so we shall be surfacing soon. Keep peeled, it'll be awesome!

Wedding Band! Unnamed

2009-present

Myself and Jason (KCHGH drums) decided we wanted to get a covers/function band on the go. It's a good break from the constant heavy onslaught on our plates at all other times and will - hopefully - be financially beneficial.

Still putting together a set. Got Ross (Isylore guitar/vocals) on keys, Eleanor (?) on vocals and Wayne (?) (sorry guys!) on bass.

It's very different to my norm. It'll be good though, it'll broaden my horizons and get me learning some other stuff than the usual metaaaaaaaaaal!

Think that is all. 5 still at present. Fairly time consuming, but got to love it! :)

Played in a band at school doing metallica covers with 2 other guitarist friends and our music teacher on drums. This was basically to get us through scotvec music (record 10 mins of cover material to pass).

After I left school I tried to get a band together for a while and eventually wound up in the original lineup of Nu Metal (or post-nu metal according to one particularly awful bit of hype) car crash Red By Choice. Was in that band for ages, had a great time and wrote some good stuff for them. Then not long after playing the first gig (which featured crowd surfing in exodus) I got sacked for talking to the other guitarist while drunk or something. Cunt. Half of Aberdeen then went on to be recruited and sacked by the band it seemed.

Dos Dedos 2000-2003 were next. Formed with myself, Marcus, Ross Morrison (of bond-age and moshulu fame) and Steve from Familiar/Psycho-a-go-go. Ended up being political grunge rock. Rage against the machine crossed with soundgarden really. We had some great fun, played ace gigs (Hundred Reasons, Capdown, Biffy Clyro) and met some great people through it. Ross left in 2002 to be replaced by Ryan, a much more capable bass player if slightly less reliable as a person (as he's already mentioned). It all ended after about 5 people turned up to a gig in Kef and the rest of the band quit straight afterwards. I was absolutely gutted.

Listening back to the songs now most of them haven't aged well, but there are a few I'm still very proud of. Shame we never recorded Barstool.

2003-2007 was spent trying to get something else on the go. For a while I started something with former Dos Dedos members Marcus and Steve with another guitarist and bass player. But it never got anywhere. I spent 2 years trying to help Alkaline get From Her Ashes on the go. Wrote some great metal songs but had horrendous luck with bass players and drummers.

2007-Present 1864 In Art. After a drunken conversation with Jan we formed this band with a view to writing straightforward riffy rock songs, but it's ended up being something more interesting. Played 2 gigs with Jim No Pasaran on bass before he moved away, had more bad luck with bass players but hopefully we can get back to it soon.

2009-Present Causey Mounth Bit of a work in progress, just me and an acoustic guitar trying to play some folk/trad songs. No plans for gigs or recording yet.

Dos Dedos 2000-2003 were next. Formed with myself, Marcus, Ross Morrison (of bond-age and moshulu fame) and Steve from Familiar/Psycho-a-go-go. Ended up being political grunge rock. Rage against the machine crossed with soundgarden really. We had some great fun, played ace gigs (Hundred Reasons, Capdown, Biffy Clyro) and met some great people through it. Ross left in 2002 to be replaced by Ryan, a much more capable bass player if slightly less reliable as a person (as he's already mentioned). It all ended after about 5 people turned up to a gig in Kef and the rest of the band quit straight afterwards. I was absolutely gutted.

I am shocked and offended :laughing: Sorry for breaking your band.

I am shocked and offended :laughing: Sorry for breaking your band.

:up:

I'd never have mentioned it if you hadn't already. I remember seeing you play with Lost and the rest of that band were hammered and I think you actually said from the stage that you suddenly realised what I put up with...

Seriously though, you didn't break the band. I think it had just ran it's course.

Impure Transfusion - a shit nu metal band when I was 15. I did 2nd guitar. It was fucking terrible. played 1 gig in the Spanish ambassador to the UAE's garden for a house party.

Dementia - me and a guy from impure transfusion and 2 other dudes. playing pretty much the same songs. 1 gig. we sucked.

Element 106 - was vocalist for a while. according to Bry Fudge I offended alot of people with silly stage banter. we did play the unoffical highest gig above sea level with Bodies up at the lecht. I left.

Barzakh - Abu Dhabi black metal recorded on a tape player in the drummer's basement. I made up words on the spot. tape later got released with full artwork etc by some underground European black metal label. None of the three of us had anything to do with any of it, apart from Emir I think sent it to some people in necro as fuck people in black emtal IRC chat rooms: YouTube - Barzakh - ...And Thus We Set Thy Dreams Aflame (if you listen closely at the start of that video, you can hear the drummer's sister and her mate laughing)

Voice of Aggression - blackened crusty metal hardcore with Dave Rowlands and ALBOLLOX. A demo and a split with EatYerGreens, mini Benelux and Irish tour. Ace jams, good times!

Filthpact - VOA drummer left, got new drummer and 2nd guitarist, became Filthpact. Lots of euro tours, UK tours, Irish tours, 3 plsit releases, and a discography, then broke up suddenly. Filthpact on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Fighting Cougars - did an 8 date German tour as guitarist after joining the band 2 days before the tour, then 1 Glasgow gig. Fuckin ridiculous stories. Disbordertrek Tour - Teabags's MySpace Blog |

Vomitus - unholiest band in Aberdeen ever. Vomitus on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The Butchers of Bakersfield - thrash about arnie movies. fucking ace fun, not very serious. The Butchers Of Bakersfield on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Fuctoff - fast blast thrash smash. one demo and tour with Yacopsae and Magrudergrind. Fun times. FuctOff on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Bullet Belt Bastards - fast stupid thrash with RoddyGevitter. 2 gigs to date, one with The Sloth doing vocals as a guest after 1 hour long practice and no lyrics. terrible but fun. BxBxBx on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Uncalm - current band. doing well so far. new recordings on the way. angry as fuck hardcore. Uncalm on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

This is a great thread, and my entry is truly ridiculous.

Suicide Squad 1987-88: Me, Craig Anderson fae AGS(vox), Glen Cook (guitar)fae Banchory, Zak(drums) fae Strobing Goat in the far future, also AGS. School 2 chord thrash, nae equipment, clue or anything else; Seminal, but rubbish.

Pariah/Travesty 1988-89 All the above except Zak, 99% talking shite, and attempted songwriting, 1% a single practise at Carnegie Hall (Dyce) with a dude called Spunge on drums, who was pretty sound, but it felt like nothing would ever happen so I hooked up with a guy from College, Steve Mann, to plan the great Thrash/Glam crossover that wasn't Celtic Frost Cold Lake, but got to play an actual gig as...

Bucharest Gun Club 1989-90 Me, Steve Mann (bass), Grahame Sheddon (drums), Booga(guitar)Played the East Neuk as a combined Birthday celebration for me, Sid fae Korpse (early outing at this gig) and Marianne, Steve's pard'ner. THe crossover actually ended up consisting of 2 Metallica covers, 2 by the Cult, and Bathroom Wall by Faster Pussycat. Fucking Rubbish PA meant it was a total mindfuck of a night I'd sooner forget, and Copie got fucked off as he was too pissed to join us for the Cult numbers. Seminal. Steve then went on to form pure thrashers Darkest Hour with the other dudes, fair enough as I was too far gone in glam nonsense to back down. Then I got asked to join a band returning from hiatus that I actually liked...

Fox 1990-91 They had been great before various members left for the States, so when a couple came back it was Me, Aberdeen legend of metal MC (vox), Mike Fyvie (bass) and 2 dudes from the American School (!!) Ingmar (gtr) and Ryan Croft (drums)

Immediately we formed a musical act that was nowhere near as talented as the previous line up which had axe wizard and Jake E Lee devotee Jensen (later of the Dreaming) in my role. Lots of squeaky artificial harmonic metal, a bit heavy in a sleazy way. 3 gigs; 1 Fight Night disaster at Daisys, also with Korpse (nae their fault though) for a punk as fuck 50p entry, I at Caesars Palace supportng Sweet Addiction (exactly), and a disaster at the Beach Ballroom upstairs, where the daftie promoter Duncan Hendrie of Aberdeen Rock left getting the PA to us, just before Xmas, it got all fucked up, blew up, Nightmare, MC goes fuck this, fair enough. Was talking of doing stuff with MC and Mike, although he decided to do Kill The Doctor with other dudes, so Me and Mike spent a year forming...

Psycho Love Groove 1992-93 Me, Mike Fyvie, Wayne Mathews (vox), John Forbes/Scotty Mathews (drums). More Rock n Roll, as I had gotten into the Stones, Primal Scream, Creedence etc Scotty was ex Cherry 200 helping us out and has gone on to be in Men Lie, J 60, King Voodoo etc along with Wayne. They left to do that stuff. I gig at the Lemon tree supporting Fireball (exactly), one Sunday Afternoon in a very smoky Pelican, that was it. Shit this needs a part 2, back later.

One Night Stand (2006) - A one off gig for an awards evening at work. Had Shaki on drums although he never mentioned it in his post (either through shame or forgetfulness...I suspect the former) but I'm bringing it up as it was my first time on bass. Very cheesy as nobody knew we were going to play then up we get on stage and...BINGO BANGO...we start playing as a band. Ran through the crowd pleasers and got an encore as well, go us! Gig was on Friday night, we were legends till about Monday tea break.

Static in the City (2006 - 2009) Recently deceased indie rock band. Actually had some decent tunes in my opinion but didn't really push ourselves very hard. Had a good few months last year getting to the T Break showcases in Edinburgh, recording and releasing an EP called "An Unseen Truth", getting some good reviews and radio play. Then took a long break from playing and upon our return nobody could really be arsed so called it a day.

The Scandal Extracts (2009 - present) - Started as a side project with three SitC members to play songs written by our guitarist but on the demise of the original band this has now become our main focus. Had a slow start as our first gig was quiet to say the least. When we were setting up there was only a couple of folk sitting at a table and one of them approached the stage and said "Just want you to know that we're not actually going, just away for a cigarette and then we'll be back in"...bless 'em. Think we played to about six people that night but just before we were ready to play there was only the sound guy and the barman. Had a few gigs since including one at the Moorings a couple of weeks back which was good fun. Tunes are a bit more lo-fi than SitC although we are mint at improvised post-rock at practice so we should maybe use that as a new direction.

Haha, I remember that night, I was the sound guy. Hilarious.

Those gigs can be fun sometimes. When I stood in for Sirius, we played a joint gig with Point Of Origin upstairs in that Irish bar on Justice Mill lane. We went on first, and the crowd consisted of the guys from Point of Origin, Terry Cunt's girlfriend and my girlfriend. When Point of Origin went on, the crowd consisted of Sirius, Terry Cunt's girlfriend and my girlfriend. Turned out to be a fucking great gig :up:

Also played a gig with Lost in Drakes, where the crowd was my girlfriend, Ryan's girlfriend, and that was it.

Ha ha ha ,I saw a band and I liked it

Volvo Death Spell - 2006

After an emergency call was put out by Stroszek after their singer came down with a dodgy throat on the eve of a Friday night gig in Drummonds, I answered the call and saved the day. What followed was 25 minutes of 'improvised music' in which we caused most of the audience to leave, Les playing guitar with his pint (bought halfway through our only 'song', Doug shouting Alan Partridge quotes at outraged punters who actually paid to listen to it, me getting told that I was a shit singer (despite not singing and just ranting into the microphone about how no-one understood us and how we were the future of music) and just generally pissing absolutely everyone off in the place.

For some reason, we didn't get paid and got banned from Drummonds :(

Never felt the need to go on stage after that for some reason.

I'd pay to see this again, much better than half the shite gan aboot nooadays

Forgot to add

Kartta (2008 - 2008)

Filled in for a week long tour on bass for these dudes. Good times. went to England, Ireland and Scotland. Loved it. Ireland was amazing.

It was all amazing. AMAZING! "Cocaine is a hell of drug"....Gotta love Rick James.

To be honest it all kinda stumbled from that point on. Kartta began to meander and feel a little lost. You were impossible to replace Scotty. Sweet, sweet memories though.

Will give Phil an EP for you before he heads down again.

Oddity (2000 - 2003)

Zillah (2009 - Present)

Moved to Edinburgh this year and was instantly asked to join this band. Loving the new material. This band sound like a mix between Ion Dissonance, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, Neurosis etc. Signed to Retribute records and a possible new label announcement soon. Exciting times and all that.

Yas

Fukin awesome band. Never heard of till now, R8 enjoyed.

As for me:

Make your Time: Lossiemouth based pop punk covers band, i must have been about 14-15? Featured Doug of Fuct Off/Weeping Jesus/Disease/Man the Fuck Up.Filled in on bass bass whilst my brother was in India. Played one gig; god awful.

Loganberry: Again Lossie based pop punk, though i adopted the drums. Wrote one song, terrible terrible stuff. Played gigs in Elgin youth cafe with 'Snurge' (Dan from The Upstarts)

and one really strange experience at the Findhorn foundation.

Lupus: When i started play drums properly i formed a jam band with a few Lossie mates, never gigged, though it was fun. Wrote a few songs, in the vain of The Doors and Black Sabbath.

Weeping Jesus: Joined a metal/punk outfit with Richard singing and Aaron (Ablach) on guitarz, Doug (see above) and Callum (Kchgh/Fuct Off), who i knew from college, joined respectively. Started by learning a few discharge covers. Played a few gigs in kef drummonds etc, ace fun though i dont think we were received well.

Dis-ease: After much fuking about with Richard, for whatever reason, he left, leaving Callum to shout into the microphone. We started to write quite different stuff with lots of notes, though its still kept its speed. Disbanded after i moved from Aberdeen.

Isylore: Isylore on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Proggy metal, not unlike Opeth. Knew Ross (guiat/vox) for some bizarre moshulu related reason and offered to play drums whilst drunk, think that was around 2005. Musically, it is the creativity of Ross, writing most songs on guitar pro, then working it out as a band. We also consisted of Stu (guitar) and Mark (bass) who wrote some lyrics, about war time or summat. Again, disbanded afteri moved away. After a few failed attepmts at pursuing a long distance electronic rehashes of old material with Ross, we're currently jamming again with a new bassist.

The Offering: The Offering on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Expeimental electronic nonsense with Aaron (Abalch). Havn't done much in the way of actual stuff, but we have the rest of our young lives.

Crayon Revival: Pop band from Dundee, played bass, but lost our drummer recently to Copenhagen, so i have taken to seat, or at least i think i have. Kinda stressful, especially when i have to play the piano.

Kchgh: Current 'main' band. Not diminish the importance of anything else I'm doing, just seems to have the most going on. Techy nonsense with Callum (Fuct off/Dis-ease), James (e106) and Sid (End of Everything). Most fun i have had playing and writing in a while, though i need to get fit so that i can play it. Played a few gigs, they dont last long as our set is like 15mins.

Shupostekud: Neon Jason on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Own electronic music, just make it to flex my musical muscle, however weak it may be. Using reason cubase etc, plus various pieces of kit.

Sebastian Van Rees: Downloaded autotune and thought it would be fun to write a generic pop song with an 'associate'. not got a myspace or owt yet, but will soon.

thats it i think.