aberdeen-music

Fudge 5th Birthday

Alkaline

Well i dunno about everyone else but i feel a little bit ripped off after last night. I can't believe they charged 5 for that!!!!!!

Also, maybe the bands that were on last night are good in heir own "surroundings" but they all came across really badly. The atmosphere was really crap as well.

As for who was at fault for last night was it Fudge for putting forward a completely badly thought out gig? The bands for not bringing anyone along at all- clearly none of the people there were there to see Simon Gall, Spike Pile Driver, The Cuts and Sucioperro, only Tar- which was shit coz these bands must have some sort of fan base otherwise maybe they shouldn't have been playing this sort of gig? Or were the crowd at fault for not giving each band the attention they deserved- come on it was like "hurry the fuck up so Tar can get on".

A very, very poor gig that was not up to the standards i've come to expect from the aberdeen scene.

:moody:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sundaram

I enjoyed last night, but there was a strange atmosphere. It was all very polite and quiet, a smaller venue would have been better suited I think *Dr Drakes*.

Whats about Drummonds, has there been a fudge night there before, do you think it would work in that venue?

Guest Sundaram

Compare this years birthday gig with last years one at The Lemon Tree.

The Lemon Tree one was so good I thought, great atmosphere, bands and Fudge banter...

I think the move to Moshulu was maybe not the best of ideas, the place is horrid when it's empty. The Fudge awards was a great success, so why not this years birthday bash?

if everyone didnt stand right up at the back for most of the night and actually came forward and looked like they were slightly interested in the bands then it would have been cool....Sucioperro did plead a few times for everyone to come down to the front but instead it just looked like everyone was extremely rude!

and Alkaline....what do you mean by 'a poor standard'....??

shaz

By poor standard i mean:

1. It didn't live up to my expectations (maybe my expectations were too high-i suppose i've just got used to seeing too many good bands in aberdeen)

2. I don't think that the choice of bands complemented each other- i felt really sorry for Sucioperro coz they must of got a really crap perception of the scene up here which isn't representative of how it really is. Fuck it, i felt sorry for all the bands- in the right circumstances each of the bands last night probably would've sounded awesome.

3. 5? I would pay that to see an up-and-coming uk band not four bands that haven't got particlarly high profiles from aberdeen. (no disrespect to the bands-but high profile means attracting a bit more than about five people per band to the gig).

Ps- this wasn't intended as a personal attack on anyone-it's just my opinion, so if i've offended anyone i'm sorry but that's how it is.

Guest stuartmaxwell

we only go there for sucioperro and tar

sucioperro were very good, could have done with some volume though, i think the bands should be louder in that place, it also may help to discourage people from sitting and having a laugh up back

i felt very sorry for those guys because they played there hearts out, to about 8 of us,

as for tar, i thought they were fucking appaling, it was like a scene from a school "talent" show, if that was the best that fudge had to offer for their 5th birthday then fuck a duck!joke or no joke, if people pay a fiver they should get their moneys worth

great tunes from shaz and jim! :up:

i know its not a personal assult on anyone but i just wanted to add that its bloody hard puting on gigs and getting people to actually attend... as i well know, no matter how much you advertise....and i know how much work Brian did for this gig and for all his july Fudge gigs - great posters all over town and constant posting on this site....and the fanzine...he was up endless nights writing it and getting it ready in time....so what else can/could he do?

a mix of bands like last night is what Fudge is about really (hence the word 'Fudge'...get it?!) and a mix like that is supposed to bring in 3/4/5 different crowds of people which *should* equal busy gig! yes i think the bands should try harder to get folk along but everyone is gigging so much these days that they stop trying/your friends stop coming to your gigs because they've seen you 3 times in 2 weeks already....

i think Fudge is just suffering like everyone else in this business of running a venue/puting on gigs....its a bit bleak at the moment...

sharon

yes couldnt agree more which is why i dont bother putting on gigs anymore (apart from tonights one off), i sometimes dont know what people expect from gigs, four bands plus DJ's for a fiver seems reasonable to me (considoring the price of drinks etc.) but you know the scene is saturated with gigs at the moment and many bands still play too often because its so easy to get gigs.

as for tar' date=' i thought they were fucking appaling, it was like a scene from a school "talent" show, if that was the best that fudge had to offer for their 5th birthday then fuck a duck!joke or no joke, if people pay a fiver they should get their moneys worth[/quote']

i think thats a bit harsh maxi!! Tar were legendary a few years ago....and they did write those songs when they were about 14! and to be honest most of the people there were there to see them so it was a better people puller than most other bands would have been...

as for tar' date=' i thought they were fucking appaling, it was like a scene from a school "talent" show, if that was the best that fudge had to offer for their 5th birthday then fuck a duck!joke or no joke, if people pay a fiver they should get their moneys worth

[/quote']

That's harsh as fuck. I haven't seen an Aberdeen band get that warm a reception for a LONG time, probably not since the Liber8 EP launch at Lava.

I thought it was a pretty good night, I enjoyed myself anyway, and was drunk. :rolleyes:

Guest highroller

as soon as one of our "sacred cows" is given a bad opinion by ONE person then they are attacked...people say im bad for it...

so what it was Tar, (ive never seen em so i dont have an opinion...thankyou) can Maxi not say what he thinks...hmmm?

Guest highroller

yeah...its the way things are said though isnt it?

and it seemed a bit like he was being jumped on slightly (Thats my opinion...so read that!)

.xbenx.

Guest highroller
No Ben' date=' it's the way you read into things.

It would have been interesting to see what MMW would've made of Tar actually....[/quote']

"is that you john wayne...is this me?" :)

Guest tv tanned
as soon as one of our "sacred cows" is given a bad opinion by ONE person then they are attacked...people say im bad for it...

so what it was Tar' date=' (ive never seen em so i dont have an opinion...thankyou) can Maxi not say what he thinks...hmmm?[/quote']

hang on...

If I wasn't too busy with work, I'm pretty sure I could find a few threads where you are less than charitable to Mr Maxwell saying what he thinks...

But I can't be bothered really.

It's Friday folks, let's not fight and bicker.

here have a crunchie...

Guest Josephine
yeah...its the way things are said though isnt it?

and it seemed a bit like he was being jumped on slightly (Thats my opinion...so read that!)

.xbenx.

I don't really see what any of this has to do with the thread. Are you trying to cause trouble with jonny lucifer so you can come accross as the "better" man? If so just start a new thread. I'm sure we'd all find it quite entertaining.

Guest highroller

yes...again im the horrible nasty man...if ANY other fucker said what i said it wouldnt have been taken this way...blah blah blah blah blah blah fucking blah....

Josephine...thats ridiculous...i dont need to come accross as anything on here...just a bit fed up of the witchhunt...

*cue the posts now saying "oh ben do you really think you are so important that...blah blah zzzzzzzz yawn yawn yadda yadda yadda zzzzz"*

I have a fucking opinion like anyone else....why does mine ALWAYS get fucking raped...????

*toys royally thrown out of the fucking pram*

gig was good for what i saw....never heard of any of the bands before...but then thats a bit of a given with me these days :rolleyes:

the dj sets inbetween were ace....

and the lounge act kinda band....forgive my ignorance at forgetting the name...were a nice change....good stuff i say

I was pretty dissapointed with last night, it seemed quieter than most of the usual fudge nights. The bands were all pretty ace, but couldn't have worked *that* hard on getting much of their fans along...

Take last years fourth party, 4 bands at the lemon tree, quite busy, heaps of games and a freindly atmosphere... i thought it was pretty ace. This year just seemed to be lacking the usual drunken fudge spirit. I feel sorry for the 4th band as i wasn't even expecting them to play... didn't know who they were untill the end of their set. I thought it was pretty groovy sitting down to the Simon Gal set after the only game of the night. SPD - pretty amazing, definately a unique combination of short songs and 'comedy', went to the bank and missed about 10 songs! Cuts, not really my thing - never been big on 80's new wave....

As for tar (and the anal punishers?).... it seemed to be a really, really old school thing, built up to be one of Aberdeens greatest bands - they did put on a decent show, but it only seemed to appeal to the Cults Academy kids of 19-oatcake... didn't do much for myself.

And as for the sound in general, i think it'd be an ace venue if someone could nail the sound every night, most of the bands i've seen there have had at least one instrument/vocals drowned by the rest of the band. It's a shame when a band puts in so much energy into a performance and the sound doesn't do them justice.

i thought TAR rocked! it was like being 16 again. like james said, if he'd written one of those songs now, undone, he'd be a fucking millionaire. it was good to see all the old crowd there and the reception for TAR was reminiscent of simpler times of yore. i didn't really like sucioperro very much, but that was more the style of music. simon gall were really good although i wasn't really in the mood for it so i lost interest before they were finished. didn't see the first 2 bands cos i was stuck doing the door.