aberdeen-music

Music clich

ca_gere

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'd say there is a debatable difference between a demo and a nicely packaged EP. If it's just a CDR in a plastic wallet, then it's probably a demo. If some time has been spent on the presentation to make it look like something substantial, then it can easily be considered as an EP, regardless if its self released.

If it's a fucking CDR, it's not a real release - it's a demo.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
This is the second wave of people pretending to like the Misfits. Years ago, people pretended to like them because of Cliff Burton's tattoo. I neither know nor care why these brats pretend to like them now, maybe Retro's had a clearout sale of Misfits clobber?

Either way, The Misfits are fucking ding and always have been.

:down:

LOL! Thumbs up for the first paragraph, thumbs down for the closing statement. The Misfits might have sucked for 99% of the time, in 99% of their ever increasing ridiculous incarnations, but Static Age is a fucking classic punk rock album, despite not being released until 20 years after it was recorded, and one of my all time favourite records.

If it's a fucking CDR, it's not a real release - it's a demo.

Whats the difference between a band buying a spindle of Verbatims and having an all-night CD burning party, and a band self financing a pressing plant to print the discs? Both self financed and self released. It's just a different type of disc. It's like saying anything on a clear cassette is a real release, but a solid black tape is a demo tape. It's all about how its packaged, for me. A band from Leeds called Eiger released a double CD album in these proper slick gatefold, screen printed packages. The discs inside were plain silver CD-R's. There's no way that can be considered in the same breath as a marker penned CD-R in a plastic wallet.

Paying someone to do the hard work for you shows you're more serious about your music than putting in the graft yourself to burn, decorate and package your own CDs? I don't see how that adds up.

Well, showing you're serious enough to invest in professional means of production is a better way of stating it, I think. In terms of presentation, it kicks a CDR scrawled with a sharpie right up the crack. The same goes for cover art and packaging. Of course, it's impressive if you designed it yourself but not so much if you fabricated it yourself out of sticky backed plastic.