aberdeen-music

Music clich

ca_gere

Haha, I didn't realise most of their videos are like that until you mentioned this!

The videos for 'No Sleep Till Brooklyn', 'Sabotage' and 'Ch-Check It Out' are classic though.

I was watching a video collection of theirs the other week actually, Star Trek references in that video pre-empted the new movie!

They do like the old fish eye - 'Shake Your Rump', 'So Watcha Want', 'Sure Shot', 'Intergalactic', 'Triple Trouble', 'Ch-Check It Out' all spring to mind, I'm sure there are others...it's like their thing for videos, can't say it bothers me, they are generally pretty amusing...

Examples...

I don't remember the specific band names as I had little interest in them, but I do remember a fair few gigs in the early noughties with countless bands wandering round with straight edge tatts and tshirts on, pished out of their tiny little minds and smoking weed.

As I said, I have no problem with straight-edge as a lifestyle choice, but don't use it as an image when you blatantly don't follow the lifestyle.

A few more that spring to mind

...going "unplugged"

...working with an orchestra

...cool old alternative bands reforming for a money spinning tour and greatest hits package

...Festivals

...having a drug problem/going to rehab - leading to those "my coke hell" stories in the tabloids

...wars of words with other bands

...rock/alternative bands trying to work with rap/dance producers to broaden their "crossover" appeal

...starting your own clothing brand (didn't the Beasties pioneer that one too?)

...smashing your instruments - double cliche if you do it on a tv show

I've always thought the Misfits skull logo looks ace but it seems to be the auto-garb of the identikit prepubescent emo gimp. How and why did that happen? I don't believe they all like The Misfits.

This is the second wave of people pretending to like the Misfits. Years ago, people pretended to like them because of Cliff Burton's tattoo. I neither know nor care why these brats pretend to like them now, maybe Retro's had a clearout sale of Misfits clobber?

Either way, The Misfits are fucking ding and always have been.

:down:

local unknown bands who at a gig proclaim 'here's a new song' to most of the crowd who aren't your mates they're all new songs!

local unknown bands harping on about an EP which in actual fact is nothing more than a glorified demo.

local unknown bands talking about getting 'signed' as if they'd signed on the dotted line with EMI.

mates of bands who claim to be the band's manager (usually a mate who has even less talent than the band themselves)

established bands refusing to play their biggest and most well known hits especially at festivals

• Upvote 1

local unknown bands harping on about an EP which in actual fact is nothing more than a glorified demo.

I'd say there is a debatable difference between a demo and a nicely packaged EP. If it's just a CDR in a plastic wallet, then it's probably a demo. If some time has been spent on the presentation to make it look like something substantial, then it can easily be considered as an EP, regardless if its self released.

local unknown bands who at a gig proclaim 'here's a new song' to most of the crowd who aren't your mates they're all new songs!

established bands refusing to play their biggest and most well known hits especially at festivals

You must have been to Wizard as well were you!!!

New drummer + new vocalist and they would be really good to be honest, like to wankery but some epic melodies here and there:)

The drummer is really good. It's the trigger sound that is horrible... all they had to do was change the sound on the drum module... I kinda like the vocals though. At least he doesn't sound like every other -core vocalist on the planet :p

Hmm other cliches. . This video has them all

What's that? Barbarians fighting? Decapitation? Nude carnivorous women covered in blood? Generic as fuck metal song? Check!