aberdeen-music

Music clich

ca_gere

Having samples from films.tv at the beginning of songs. I've been in a band that went a bit OTT on it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but alot of bands do it pointlessly. We tried to make them related to the songs in some way. Graf Orlock go mental with the samples, but they actually do it live too, so that's pretty neat.

Singers introducing the band during an instrumental bit. Especially using "Mr..."

"And on the bass, Mr ..."

Guitarists ending a song with howling feedback, putting it through a phase effect or something, and leaving the stage. (only to scuttle back on 30 seconds later and switch off the amp when the promoter kicks his arse)

Fake endings with pre-planned 'encores'.

This thread is titled "music cliches" not "top tips for a succesfful gig" .... seriously, that stuff you speak of is gold!!

like The Misfits?

God, I hate the Misfits.

What, even the original era Misfits? They were great. The rehashed version not so.

Why are stickers on a laptop a cliche? Is that not just a co-incidental desire to plaster things with stickers? I've seen DJ's doing that with their record cases, is that a cliche too? And guitarists with their cases.

Having samples from films.tv at the beginning of songs. I've been in a band that went a bit OTT on it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but alot of bands do it pointlessly. We tried to make them related to the songs in some way. Graf Orlock go mental with the samples, but they actually do it live too, so that's pretty neat.

Used to be a time for me when a tune wasn't complete without either a) a sample from Repo Man or b) a sample of Ken Kesey mumbling something on a documentary.

Crazy cut up drum loops fractured to infinity.

Hang on, thats what I do/listen to. Well its still a cliche if an ACE one.

Why are stickers on a laptop a cliche? Is that not just a co-incidental desire to plaster things with stickers? I've seen DJ's doing that with their record cases, is that a cliche too? And guitarists with their cases.

In itself, putting stickers on anything isn't a cliche. But, when something, anything, is noticeably reocurrent at gigs/dj nights it becomes a cliche imo. A man behind a laptop perhaps isn't as expressive as a man with a guitar so its a way of getting some sort of personality across I guess. Nothing wrong with it at all, just something I've noticed a lot recently.

I remember seeing Black Atom once at Halloween and they started the set with a Crystal Maze sample (correct me if I am wrong). Was perhaps the best use of tv/film sampling ever. Proof cliches aren't a bad thing.

What, even the original era Misfits? They were great. The rehashed version not so.

I wasn't all that fussed for the original era, but the Graves and Jerry Only + 2 of Black Flag eras are godawful. It's that, in addition to them being nothing more than a pointless merchandising brand that makes me dislike them as much as I do.

I also like stickers on guitars. It way punx.

Bands who have a new album coming out and say stuff like "we've really grown as a band" and "the new album is a lot more mature than our old material". So what you're trying to tell me is that it's going to be a big bottle of watered-down piss? Right-o.

"Political" bands who sign to major record labels and then say "we're doing this so that we can bring our message to a wider audience". It's alright, we all figured out you only want a little extra change for your wallet. Quit spouting pish.

Shit indie bands who sing in northern English accents that they blatantly don't speak in. I'm looking at you, Fratellis.

Bands who have a new album coming out and say stuff like "we've really grown as a band" and "the new album is a lot more mature than our old material". So what you're trying to tell me is that it's going to be a big bottle of watered-down piss? Right-o.

Not only that, but it's stating the deadly obvious. The opposite would be them saying "Yeah, we've been a band for X amount of years now, and not only have we made little or no progression as a band, we're actually a little bit worse now".

I have no problem with bands being on major labels, but it's a bit odd when bands jabber on about never signing to a major label in their early days, and then go against that. If a band never committed themselves to such a clause, then it's not really a big deal when they do sign to a major. But when you're 14, and you're watching Anti-Flag in a stinky little shoebox of a club, and they're middle-fingering everyone, telling us to "FUCK MAJOR LABELS", and then they go and sign to a major anyway.... What gives? Luckily, I kinda realised they were pisspoor anyway. I did used to really dig Against Me, but since they signed major, they've started sounding a bit like Franz Ferdinand. Gross.

I wasn't all that fussed for the original era, but the Graves and Jerry Only + 2 of Black Flag eras are godawful. It's that, in addition to them being nothing more than a pointless merchandising brand that makes me dislike them as much as I do.

The new era Misfits tarnishes the legacy of 2 great bands that's certain. Same with Dead Kennedys reforming without Biafra.

I've always thought the Misfits skull logo looks ace but it seems to be the auto-garb of the identikit prepubescent emo gimp. How and why did that happen? I don't believe they all like The Misfits.

The new era Misfits tarnishes the legacy of 2 great bands that's certain. Same with Dead Kennedys reforming without Biafra.

I've always thought the Misfits skull logo looks ace but it seems to be the auto-garb of the identikit prepubescent emo gimp. How and why did that happen? I don't believe they all like The Misfits.

Same goes for Ramones t shirts. I once asked a girl in the queue at HMV what her favourite song was when I clocked she had a Ramones shirt on. She said she liked them all, and then left the queue for some reason. I thought we were having a great conversation. Kinda rude.

Big endings to songs where the drummer plays lots of fills and guitarists play diddly diddly guitar. This all builds up to a huge crescendo and finishes with a double stop. Fucking yawn!

An old band from Sheffield used to do this, except they started it, and then just went straight back into another chorus after a few seconds of all that clarting about. Written down it sounds kinda crap, but it was really quite something, and I felt like a cock for clapping too early.

Graf Orlock do it well.

"This is a fast one...CIRCLE PIT!"

XxX tatoos. Vegnism.