aberdeen-music

Music clich

ca_gere

'Promo' snaps are horrible anyway, unless they're all wearing some kind of awesome mask/headgear and you can't see (much of) their face. I've got a bit of a thing for not wanting a phtoograph of the band on the front cover of an album. Exceptions are Best Of's, Live Albums, Solo Artists, and The Jam. They're allowed to do it. Maybe a live snap on the back or the inside cover, a la Descendents, but not on the front, where they are all just stood around, and they've been airbrushed to death. You pay money for a bit of substance. Give us some artwork and not a photo.

I dont know if these are clich's now. I'm just moaning.

band photographs are wrought with cliches. You can't look too happy, not all band members may look at the camera, there has to be at least one who is looking elsewhere, why not stand at different lenghts away from the camera to add depth? With the singer in the foreground of course.

Yeah we were badgered into getting some high-res photos done recently for promo purposes (not by anyone in particular but we're constantly asked for a photo anytime we're doing promo stuff so got some) and its quite a hard thing to do without the odd gael cliche. Ended up with a pic exactly as described above as everything else just looked cheesy as.

I'm also not really a fan of the lets all jump up in the air at once and get a pic taken method either. It used to be a favourite of boybands in smash hits but now a few hip cool bands are at it as well...

None however will be as bad as this photo The Grants are the best unsigned band in the world | Music | guardian.co.uk. "I'm the drummer so I'll hold a snare drum and drumstick whilst looking mean and moody"

Guitarists ending a song with howling feedback, putting it through a phase effect or something, and leaving the stage. (only to scuttle back on 30 seconds later and switch off the amp when the promoter kicks his arse)

I have done that once or twice, using a looping pedal. We did it at a Matricarians one in Snafu, and left the stage just to hear how it sounded. Worryingly I saw the other 3 band members applauding when we reached the bar :laughing:

"Our new album is definitely much darker than anything we've done before."

or "We've just finished recording our new album and we so want you guys to hear it. We put a lot of effort in and it fucking rocks (or some other cliched phrase!)" and it's usually the worse thing they have ever recorded

or "We've just finished recording our new album and we so want you guys to hear it. We put a lot of effort in and it fucking rocks (or some other cliched phrase!)" and it's usually the worse thing they have ever recorded

The best response to the 'so tell me about the new album' question has to be the La's

... 'It's fucking shit, don'y buy it'

An end of gig 'check out our myspace' seems to have become a clich

I think every single music cliche ever is in this already infamous interview by pop-rock production-line pricks RayGun. Watch a band shit the credibility their label has desperately tried to fake, clean up the wall in 5 minutes. Gold.

YouTube - Raygun - 4Play Promo [01.August.2009] [1/2]

That interview never stops being funny.