aberdeen-music

Music clich

ca_gere

Been reading Stuart Maconie's book recently and he talks a lot about various bands and music business people and how they are all the same. Got me thinking about clichs that exist in music. Perhaps some that local bands are guilty of too.

e.g. A band getting interviewed : 'we just make the music we like, If people like and buy our records that's just a bonus'

or

An electronic dj/musician who has a laptop. Because the laptop is on stage and can be seen the 'lid' is covered with stickers of obscure record labels or ironic 'help the aged' badges. Because as we all know, stickers on a laptop is the accepted measure of coolness.

There must be tonnes.

Been reading Stuart Maconie's book recently and he talks a lot about various bands and music business people and how they are all the same. Got me thinking about clichs that exist in music. Perhaps some that local bands are guilty of too.

e.g. A band getting interviewed : 'we just make the music we like, If people like and buy our records that's just a bonus'

or

An electronic dj/musician who has a laptop. Because the laptop is on stage and can be seen the 'lid' is covered with stickers of obscure record labels or ironic 'help the aged' badges. Because as we all know, stickers on a laptop is the accepted measure of coolness.

There must be tonnes.

You could also argue that begrudging someone of openly liking what is to be considered "obscure" as quite the clich as well, as if people are really doing it score some kind of points, and not because the music is genuinely being enjoyed. I mean, are you expecting it to be covered in Celine Dion and Sony BMG stickers?

You could also argue that begrudging someone of openly liking what is to be considered "obscure" as quite the clich as well, as if people are really doing it score some kind of points, and not because the music is genuinely being enjoyed. I mean, are you expecting it to be covered in Celine Dion and Sony BMG stickers?

I'm not bothered about it or begrudging anyone. It's a clich is all. I don't expect a laptop to be covered in stickers full stop. You not got any to offer? I started this thread as a genuine attempt to get a discussion going about music clichs as I think it's a good topic and has potential to turn into a good thred, not as an attempt to prove i'm cool. I mean, i'm postin on a message board on the internet to pass the time at my job as IT support. Trust me, im not cool. I'm dreadfully sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Singers introducing the band during an instrumental bit. Especially using "Mr..."

"And on the bass, Mr ..."

Guitarists ending a song with howling feedback, putting it through a phase effect or something, and leaving the stage. (only to scuttle back on 30 seconds later and switch off the amp when the promoter kicks his arse)

Fake endings with pre-planned 'encores'.

I'm not bothered about it or begrudging anyone. It's a clich is all. I don't expect a laptop to be covered in stickers full stop. You not got any to offer? I started this thread as a genuine attempt to get a discussion going about music clichs as I think it's a good topic and has potential to turn into a good thred, not as an attempt to prove i'm cool. I mean, i'm postin on a message board on the internet to pass the time at my job as IT support. Trust me, im not cool. I'm dreadfully sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Oh, it wasn't aimed directly back at you. I understand the clich you're speaking of. I'm just suggesting that that particular one goes both ways in my opinion. Not as a counter attack or anything. reading back the last sentence, it came across that way, but it wasn't intentional.

As has been mentioned, speaking of things during the set that are planned, that English Ska/Punk band called [spunge] (yes, brackets and all). used to write the actions on their setlist between the songs. Including such trivial events as "so-and-so asks if everyone is having a good time" "so-and-so takes swig of beer and then talks about beer" "so-and-so sprays beer on audience". I wouldn't say that's a clich, as I've never heard of any other band being so fucking stupid!

Singers introducing the band during an instrumental bit. Especially using "Mr..."

"And on the bass, Mr ..."

Guitarists ending a song with howling feedback, putting it through a phase effect or something, and leaving the stage. (only to scuttle back on 30 seconds later and switch off the amp when the promoter kicks his arse)

Fake endings with pre-planned 'encores'.

Blame Kurt Cobain, however, I like that thing....

I take it your laptop is covered in stickers then? ;)

Oh, it wasn't aimed directly back at you. I understand the clich you're speaking of. I'm just suggesting that that particular one goes both ways in my opinion. Not as a counter attack or anything. reading back the last sentence, it came across that way, but it wasn't intentional.

As has been mentioned, speaking of things during the set that are planned, that English Ska/Punk band called [spunge] (yes, brackets and all). used to write the actions on their setlist between the songs. Including such trivial events as "so-and-so asks if everyone is having a good time" "so-and-so takes swig of beer and then talks about beer" "so-and-so sprays beer on audience". I wouldn't say that's a clich, as I've never heard of any other band being so fucking stupid!

Fair do's. Did come across as if instead of offering anything new, you were just nit picking at what i said. I can see your point tho... a cynical attitude towards anything that is 'cool' is a music clich in itself.

Also, I remember seeing spunge and their raucousness did seem very planned. Definite clich coz i'm sure loads of bands pre plan their random acts of rock and rollery.

Bands saying (insert town/city/countrise name) is their favourite place to play.Yawn

Ah, it's great when they bait between towns though

"Man, last night, they thought they knew how to rock in Manchester"

*Audience boo's*

"But obviously they've never been to BIRMINGHAM!!!!"

*Audience erupts. Rocking song starts*

Rock and roll is bitchin'. Yeah yeah.

Also, I remember seeing spunge and their raucousness did seem very planned. Definite clich coz i'm sure loads of bands pre plan their random acts of rock and rollery.

Ha, I bet they do. I've never seen it on a setlist before though. I bet the crazed fan that grabbed it off the monitor at the end was a bit disappointed that his favourite band were a bit of a pantomime.

Ha, I bet they do. I've never seen it on a setlist before though. I bet the crazed fan that grabbed it off the monitor at the end was a bit disappointed that his favourite band were a bit of a pantomime.

Hey, don't you ever call Spunge pantomime... fifteen year old me will rip throught the space time continuum and punch you in the face.

Current me will just nod in agreement however.

band photographs are wrought with cliches. You can't look too happy, not all band members may look at the camera, there has to be at least one who is looking elsewhere, why not stand at different lenghts away from the camera to add depth? With the singer in the foreground of course.