aberdeen-music

Lights Out

Stupid, IMO. The energy-saving bulbs are great when quality of light is less important but they suck for reading under. Supposedly, LED 'bulb' technology is much better and can produce light comparable to sunlight but it's still years from being a commercial reality.

Grrr....another shite idea. Low energy bulbs:

1) ...contain mercury, so disposal is a pain in the arse.

2) ....take far too long for the light to reach full intensity.

3) ....emit a horrible type of light, similar to fluorescent tubes.

4) ....are massive. Had a look at installing low-energy GU10 bulbs. The low-E bulbs are about 3 times the friggin size. Useless.

In short, I fucking hate the things.

They had a guy on GMTV this morning who skirted around the disposal issue. He said it was merely a case of educating people.

Doesn't matter what they say, A lot of people will just throw them in their normal trash. Or the government will introduce a new tax for disposing of them!

I haven't used these bulbs but I know they take a while to build up energy and produce decent light, however this guy was saying thats old ones. Nowadays they instantly give you the same level of light that a normal bulb gives? This was probably the usual talk though to sell the idea from them.

I've got energy saving bulbs all over my flat. They come to full light almost instantly and the light is perfectly fine for reading with or any other activity you need to see for. Lasts a hell of a lot longer than the old bulbs as well, making them cheaper in the long run even before you look at how much they save on your energy bill.

I've got energy saving bulbs all over my flat. They come to full light almost instantly and the light is perfectly fine for reading with or any other activity you need to see for. Lasts a hell of a lot longer than the old bulbs as well, making them cheaper in the long run even before you look at how much they save on your energy bill.

Agreed. I replaced almost all the lights in my flat with energy savers (most of which i got for free as well) about a year and a half ago and they're all going strong and light up almost instantly and throw as much light as other bulb types. I've never had any problem reading using them either. They made a massive difference to my electricity bill as well.

I'm not a fan, because they sometimes act as a trigger for migraines.

Any idea if there's bulbs available that are as 'soft' as the old ones and don't emit such blinding light?

Speaking of which, 100W bulbs are freely available here...yet another case of the UK following an EU directive to the letter?

OSRAM|Consumer|Home Lighting|Alternatives to light bulbs|EU directive - household lighting|index

Definition of phase-out:

Phasing out means that the relevant product groups may no longer be placed on the

market in the European Union. This relates to initial marketing only.

Stocks at OEMs, wholesalers and end customers are not affected of course and

may continue to be sold and used as they are already on the market and the measures

do not relate to the use of the products

I think that's from a manufacturer's site.

Pah, I just checked while shopping and ASDA have already brought teh bans.

BTW, does anyone know where I can actually dispose of the spent ES bulbs? Or batteries, transformers, and sundry electrical waste that may contain contaminants for that matter?

Find your nearest river and throw them in there.

The only concern is that I have dimmer lamps than use compact bumbs (60W). Would these be affected? They aren't standard sized.

You have to get special energy saving bulbs that work with dimmer switches. Predictably, they're considerably more expensive than the normal ones.