aberdeen-music

Animal Welfare

Ah well when I'm on a plane which crashes over some foreign land with lots of plants unidentifiable to me as edible yet lots of animals, i'll feel a lot happier about eating meat than I am just now

The only reason i'm unhappy is because I eat too much meat

Best store i have ever been in,and the best meat i have ever tasted.:up:Farm Animal and Meat Quality Standards | WholeFoodsMarket.com

Nice if you can afford to shop there! Also known as Whole Paycheck :up:

As for the preachy attitude in this thread. Well, now we know why no one wants to be vegetarian. The pussyass zealots are one of the main reasons I gave it up myself. I got sick of taking a bunch of shit from people on their behalf and I laugh at their utterly self-defeating behaviour.

I like the taste of meat. I like the texture of meat. I would categorically not have a problem killing and eating any one of you lot or another human being i wasn't emotionally attached to (though if they were dead already i wouldn't have a problem eating them) if the need arose.

I have no problem with people that don't feel the same but i will remind you that you're first on the fork if the shit hits the fan :up:

take the test Would You Eat Your Buddies in a Blizzard?

This thread has totally come off topic, but I can understand why! I never started this debate as a Vegie v Non-Vegie debate, it was purely to try and open some eyes to cruelty which I have recently discovered in regards to Animal Slaughter. I am Vegetarian, not because I am against animals being a food supply, but because I dislike meat, I would never preach as that is unfair to those who enjoy eating meat, but I do believe the animals we kill deserve some respect in death.

But some of the attitudes, views and analogies within this thread have been not only disrespectful and ridiculous, but also pretty immature. It has become apparent that it is not possible to have a serious debate on this site (This is where Im sure I get told by all the regular posters to fuck off if Im not happy), but it seems if a sensible post is started, it isnt long before it is ruined by pre-teen comments and punch lines.

If someone wants to judge me because I dont eat meat, or because I believe animal cruelty is wrong, then that says more about them as a person than me!

If someone wants to judge me because I dont eat meat, or because I believe animal cruelty is wrong, then that says more about them as a person than me!

This kind of quote is the route of your problem. It's all very well being offended, but making judgmental little digs like this at the end of your spiel will undoubtedly get people's backs up.

Your initial post was seen as condescending (purposefully or otherwise), as most people do in fact know where their juicy steaks come from, and the naive 'oh my word, did any of you even know that animals have to die so that you can eat them?!' shtick is really old hat. Killing things in an affordable manor is never going to be perfect.

This kind of quote is the route of your problem. It's all very well being offended, but making judgmental little digs like this at the end of your spiel will undoubtedly get people's backs up.

Your initial post was seen as condescending (purposefully or otherwise), as most people do in fact know where their juicy steaks come from, and the naive 'oh my word, did any of you even know that animals have to die so that you can eat them?!' shtick is really old hat. Killing things in an affordable manor is never going to be perfect.

I haven't once been confrontational in this thread, nor have I been judgemental. You are obviously tryng to wind me up to get me into a childish arguement, that is on every other page of this site, but it's not going to work.

I am looking at this from the non-vegetarian point of view, and you just don't seem to get that,at no point have I had a pop at anyone who eats meat, and I have no right to. And I'm totally aware that everyone knows where beef comes from, but I was wanting to try and raise a little awareness to how brutal some slaughters are.

So the big question is, what do you propose we do about it man? I mean, you're not just trying to lay down a guilt trip, are you? I assume you have a solution on your mind.

I kind of hoped that if we made it known that we won't settle for animals being abused, that maybe slaughter houses etc would take more notice and take care that the animals were treated more humanely. I'm not saying that a post on AMF will change the World, but every little helps yeh? I certainly wasn't patronizing or laying any guilt trips!

I wear leather, my dogs eat meat, both of which cause distress to animals somewhere down the line I'm sure, so I'm not saying I'm excempt from the whole process. But, if I was told there was someway I could directly stop cruelty to these animals up to the slaughter, I certainly would.

Tomas

you're not just trying to lay down a guilt trip, are you?

To be sure, you, not anyone else were the one who turned this thread into vegi/non vegi flamewar

His original post highlighted what he believes are bad practices which need to be stopped. he never laid down a guilt trip in the original post, just expressed disgust and asked for our opinions.

This thread has totally come off topic, but I can understand why! I never started this debate as a Vegie v Non-Vegie debate, it was purely to try and open some eyes to cruelty which I have recently discovered in regards to Animal Slaughter. I am Vegetarian, not because I am against animals being a food supply, but because I dislike meat, I would never preach as that is unfair to those who enjoy eating meat, but I do believe the animals we kill deserve some respect in death.

But some of the attitudes, views and analogies within this thread have been not only disrespectful and ridiculous, but also pretty immature. It has become apparent that it is not possible to have a serious debate on this site (This is where Im sure I get told by all the regular posters to fuck off if Im not happy), but it seems if a sensible post is started, it isnt long before it is ruined by pre-teen comments and punch lines.

Your post was about how you watched this video and how terrible it was. You didn't refer to the source or provide a link so we could debate it at all, so it was a rather uninformative post, high on emotion. This may go some way to explain the resulting thread. Perhaps you would care to remedy this situation and we can proceed to discuss any information you care to put forward?

I stopped eating meat about a year or so ago (I continued to eat fish to ease the transition but have more or lessed stopped that as well).

I did it purely on moral grounds, I always loved meat but I realised the only reason for me eating it was that I enjoyed the taste and for me to enjoy that taste, things had to die unnecesarily (obviously continuing to occasionally eat fish was continuing that but I think that was one of the things that stopped me going 'oh fuck this I'm having a steak'.

People often talk about 'preachy vegetarians'. I have never heard anyone I know who doesn't eat meat start a conversation about immorality of meat with a meat-eater. However, almost every time I've told someone I don't eat meat I've been met with a barrage of questions and the typical 'they're bred to be eaten' and have a hamburger ROFL! stuff. It always ends up with meat-eaters going into an unprovoked rant about why they still eat meat as if I'm interested!

My main argument for not eating meat is that I would only be doing it because I like the taste and I'd rather kill as few things as possible purely for my own pleasure. I haven't found it particularly difficult and I can't see myself going back to meat, I've lost any real desire for it.

• Upvote 1

I kind of hoped that if we made it known that we won't settle for animals being abused, that maybe slaughter houses etc would take more notice and take care that the animals were treated more humanely. I'm not saying that a post on AMF will change the World, but every little helps yeh? I certainly wasn't patronizing or laying any guilt trips!

I wear leather, my dogs eat meat, both of which cause distress to animals somewhere down the line I'm sure, so I'm not saying I'm excempt from the whole process. But, if I was told there was someway I could directly stop cruelty to these animals up to the slaughter, I certainly would.

Tomas

Damn straight you're not except from the whole process! You feed your dog commercially produced meat, an animal which has a diet that you essentially have complete control over! Not to mention the fact that you wear animal skin in the name of fashion (which might I add, does not come from the same cow that got carved up to feed your hungry hound).

I disagree that every little helps in this case. Hypocrites can cripple a cause. I don't doubt that your heart is in the right place though, and you've certainly struck up a decent debate. You'll likely be preaching to the converted however.

Damn straight you're not except from the whole process! You feed your dog commercially produced meat, an animal which has a diet that you essentially have complete control over! Not to mention the fact that you wear animal skin in the name of fashion (which might I add, does not come from the same cow that got carved up to feed your hungry hound).

I disagree that every little helps in this case. Hypocrites can cripple a cause. I don't doubt that your heart is in the right place though, and you've certainly struck up a decent debate. You'll likely be preaching to the converted however.

lets not get started on ANY medicine or pharmaceutical product...

if I was told there was someway I could directly stop cruelty to these animals up to the slaughter, I certainly would.

I agree with you about protecting them from abuse and mistreatment up to slaughter, but that isn't what you said before.

Are you sure the cow you saw in the video was conscious at the time, and it wasn't a nervous reaction? The animals are either knocked unconscious by and electric shock to the back of the head. If I remember correctly from family members who have worked in slaughterhouses it is 300-odd volts at 2 amps, more than enough to knock them out; or it is a captive bolt-gun into the brain in the front of the head. I've seen animals thrash around a lot after death as their nervous system goes mental, are you sure it wasn't that you were seeing?

I agree with you about protecting them from abuse and mistreatment up to slaughter, but that isn't what you said before.

Are you sure the cow you saw in the video was conscious at the time, and it wasn't a nervous reaction? The animals are either knocked unconscious by and electric shock to the back of the head. If I remember correctly from family members who have worked in slaughterhouses it is 300-odd volts at 2 amps, more than enough to knock them out; or it is a captive bolt-gun into the brain in the front of the head. I've seen animals thrash around a lot after death as their nervous system goes mental, are you sure it wasn't that you were seeing?

Agreed. Of course Animals shouldn't be cruely treated while they are being farmed or brought up but killing is killing. It's funny how these sorts suddenly change their tack when it becomes obvious that they're not being realistic about what they're saying.

I stopped eating meat about a year or so ago (I continued to eat fish to ease the transition but have more or lessed stopped that as well).

I did it purely on moral grounds, I always loved meat but I realised the only reason for me eating it was that I enjoyed the taste and for me to enjoy that taste, things had to die unnecesarily (obviously continuing to occasionally eat fish was continuing that but I think that was one of the things that stopped me going 'oh fuck this I'm having a steak'.

o_O

So you stopped eating meat on moral grounds, but to ease the transition you only stopped eating meat that was reared specifically to be food but kept eating the meat that was ripped out of it's natural environment on an industrial scale?