aberdeen-music

Another reason to hate the council

Lemonade

This might not be a recent development, but I've only just noticed it. I was in town on Sunday afternoon with the car, and found that suddenly you have to pay to park your car in town on a Sunday between 1-5. It used to be free all day on a Sunday. Plus they've doubled the price! 4 to park on Golden Square for 2 hours? Fuck that noise! :swearing:

They've also put the price of my parking permit at my flat up from 50 a year to 80 a year. That's quite a significant jump. I understand the council is broke but why are they suddenly trying to make all their money out of car owners?

I really hate this city sometimes, you just get ripped off for everything. As well as all the carry on over bus fares basically doubling, I see taxi fares are away to go up again. I honestly think Aberdeen has the most expensive taxis in the whole of Britain. A taxi to the Bridge of Don on a Saturday night will set you back the best part of 20 these days. The fucking meter starts at about 4 before you even leave the taxi rank.

That's it I'm moving back to Fraserburgh.

/rant

I always just park in harriet street car park, don't think its went up in price since i've been driving. Its 2.30 for 2 hours and i usually can do the shopping in 1 so works good for me.

Council should really stop spending money on themself and start putting in back in community. How much is there new building costing.

You've had to pay to park in town for ages, must be at least 5 if not 10 years...

Not on a Sunday you didn't. The multi-storey ones at least were free on a Sunday up until recently, but you have to pay for them now. 4 for 2 hours is prety wild as well.

Apparently Stagecoach have upped their fares and it costs a tenner to take the bus to Fraserburgh these days. Maybe I won't move back there after all. A fucking tenner! To take an hour and a half to reach somewhere you can drive to in 40 minutes, stopping in every little shithole town on the way there, on a bus that's uncomfortable, too hot, and full of junkies. Plus you can drive there and back on a tenner's worth of petrol, easily.

Stagecoach are terrible. I'm glad I have no reason to go into the shire, but when my old job had me working 1 day a week in Stonehaven, a return was over a fiver and took an hour and a quarter to get there. Everytime it had to go through shitty shitty Newton Hill, and everytime it picked up and dropped off fuck all passangers. That was a waste of about 15 minutes. A horrible journey.

Not on a Sunday you didn't. The multi-storey ones at least were free on a Sunday up until recently, but you have to pay for them now. 4 for 2 hours is prety wild as well.

Ah, sorry, was meaning on-street.

On the council building thing, the council does have staff and I think it's right that those staff have somewhere decent to work. St Nicholas House is literally falling apart and the staff need to go somewhere else. Whether or not that should be Marshcial College, I dunno, but the council does need to spend some cash on this whichever way you look at it.

I really hate this city sometimes, you just get ripped off for everything.

Indeed, I received a final demand for outstanding council tax on a flat I had 3 years ago, which I've already paid. It's only 60 but it's 60 I've already paid! Cue lengthy debate in that horrible Crown Street office, and I'll probably get the same bill through again in six month's time...argh!

I like that the Council are moving into Marischal College though, fitting, seeing as it's essentially an evil scarey castle...

Apparently Stagecoach have upped their fares and it costs a tenner to take the bus to Fraserburgh these days. Maybe I won't move back there after all. A fucking tenner! To take an hour and a half to reach somewhere you can drive to in 40 minutes, stopping in every little shithole town on the way there, on a bus that's uncomfortable, too hot, and full of junkies. Plus you can drive there and back on a tenner's worth of petrol, easily.

7.40 for a single and a whopping 13.40 for a return to the Broch these days!

Stagecoach is an absolute shitpile... and this is coming from somebody who's done customer service for them for 4 years =P. Basically, because there isn't really an alternative for anybody that doesn't have a car and because there aren't any real competitors outside of town, the company can get away with charging ridiculous crazy fares. A lot of people seem to think that if Stagecoach tookover some of First's town services then things would improve... makes me laugh.

Stagecoach are terrible. I'm glad I have no reason to go into the shire, but when my old job had me working 1 day a week in Stonehaven, a return was over a fiver and took an hour and a quarter to get there. Everytime it had to go through shitty shitty Newton Hill, and everytime it picked up and dropped off fuck all passangers. That was a waste of about 15 minutes. A horrible journey.

The Fraserburgh bus is a nightmare, it departs Aberdeen and trundles through Balmedie, Newburgh, Ellon, Ellon Park & Ride, Mintlaw and Strichen before it finally reaches Fraserburgh. An hour and a half is a long time to sit on the bus, and it's always roasting. Regardless of how hot it is outside, the heating is always on on the bus, and the air conditioning is never on. I used to commute on the bastard every day, which meant leaving the house at 6.30 am and getting home again at half past 7 at night. I hated every minute of it.

Indeed, I received a final demand for outstanding council tax on a flat I had 3 years ago, which I've already paid. It's only 60 but it's 60 I've already paid! Cue lengthy debate in that horrible Crown Street office, and I'll probably get the same bill through again in six month's time...argh!

I like that the Council are moving into Marischal College though, fitting, seeing as it's essentially an evil scarey castle...

Tell me about it, i had to go in and lay the smackdown on them last week when i got a Final Demand letter for something i'd paid well in advance and that i was assured was sorted. I had a debt collection agency after me for it as well. They gave me a half-hearted apology and still treated me like a criminal despite me producing (for the second time i may add) a full list of receipts for that particular financial year. I really hope all the scum who can't be arsed paying Council Tax at all get it in the neck a lot worse than i did.

Thing is, it's not like you can take your business elswhere with a local council and even if you do get a change of political party it's not like the new lot come in and sack all the incompetant wankers that are there already.

They really are an absolute shower of cunts. Something needs to be done about it.

The council tax dept seem to make incompetence their number one target. As my mate puts it " Nobody on earth makes me seethe like those fucking incompetent fuck-loafs. I hate the stupid fuck-wits. I mean most people/companies make a mistake in the process of everyday practice. But not the council. Their practice is mistakes. Then making you pay for them. I'd like to break their piss off."

I got a tax bill last year out of the blue for 400 for a flat I lived in years ago - which I'd already paid years before. However I paid it in cash and of course didn't have any proof, and they just simply wouldn't listen. In the end I just paid it again to get them to fuck off.

Common sense and Aberdeen City Council are two things you rarely hear in the same sentance.

My family live in a council flat. In a few years, Aberdeen City Council plan on demolishing all the buildings in my area (including the one I live in).

However, earlier in the year, the council decided to put new bathrooms and kitchens in all the flats! ?(

Aberdeen was originally asked to host Radio One's Big Weekend a couple of years ago. They turned it down and it was given to Dundee.

Idiots.

I didn't know that. Still, Dundee was asked to become the focal point for the entire North Sea Oil industry back in the 70s, and turned it down and it went to Aberdeen instead. And that didn't turn out too badly for us, so it's probably still Aberdeen 1 - Dundee 0. :up:

This might not be a recent development, but I've only just noticed it. I was in town on Sunday afternoon with the car, and found that suddenly you have to pay to park your car in town on a Sunday between 1-5. It used to be free all day on a Sunday. Plus they've doubled the price! 4 to park on Golden Square for 2 hours? Fuck that noise! :swearing:

They've also put the price of my parking permit at my flat up from 50 a year to 80 a year. That's quite a significant jump. I understand the council is broke but why are they suddenly trying to make all their money out of car owners?

I really hate this city sometimes, you just get ripped off for everything. As well as all the carry on over bus fares basically doubling, I see taxi fares are away to go up again. I honestly think Aberdeen has the most expensive taxis in the whole of Britain. A taxi to the Bridge of Don on a Saturday night will set you back the best part of 20 these days. The fucking meter starts at about 4 before you even leave the taxi rank.

That's it I'm moving back to Fraserburgh.

/rant

Did I mention I'm trying to quit smoking at the moment? :laughing:

Since I work here, I was curious as to just how many millions.

So I found out.

90 Million ???? that is unacceptably obscene.... shame on them and us for even allowing that.....

Cast your mind back...... when the Sick Kids Hospital was built 5 years ago..... it cost in total 25 Million

(that included a new building and ALL kitted out and supplied) and they moaned about that cost.....

Moving to another existing building (despite upgrading it and fitting it out) should NOT cost anywhere near 90 Million..... APPALLING !!!!!

:down:

How can it possibly cost that much. Imagine you'd just bought a delapidated property and you phoned a builder, a plumber and a sparkie to come round and give you an estimate to basically rip the guts out of it and rebuild it. There's no way on earth you'd get a figure even close to 90m! Do the council just automatically pay tons more for stuff than everyone else? Surely it wouldn't even cost anywhere near that to just build somewhere new.