aberdeen-music

Oceansize + ASIWYFA + Vessels (rescheduled) - Sat 30 Jan @ Tunnels

Guest idol_wild
What a cunt. Mind you, I'd be a bit ill tempered if I was totally shown up by the two support acts, as seems to be the case.

Well put.

Vessels could play to 5% of their potential and still wipe the floor with Oceansize.

I really dont think this is doing Aberdeen any favours though. The vast majority of people I have spoken to enjoyed Oceansize and it seems just becasue a few did not and have chosen to air their views, that their performance is now being criticised by people who were not even at the gig.

Whilst clearly the set list hasnt pleased everyone, it wasnt any sort of "greatest hits" tour - they played new songs as they have new songs out/coming out as any band would do. With a fair amount of material it was never going to be possible to play everyones favourites!

Granted the band should never have replied with the video thing, but its gone on a bit too long now to the point I have their agents and others from that company asking why Aberdeen was so negative. Whilst I realise that some people didnt enjoy and are clearly not fans of the guys personally now either, I would suggest that its not really doing anyone much good, after all word spreads amongst bands/agents/sound techs/management and its hard enough to get big bands up here already!

Guest idol_wild
I really dont think this is doing Aberdeen any favours though. The vast majority of people I have spoken to enjoyed Oceansize and it seems just becasue a few did not and have chosen to air their views, that their performance is now being criticised by people who were not even at the gig.

Nobody who wasn't at the gig is criticising their performance. Just the band themselves. And anyone who has listened to the band has every right to do so.

Also, I think their booking agency should probably ask Oceansize what the fuck went on in Aberdeen - not you. You did your job - you booked and you promoted. Once Oceansize hit the stage, it's up to them to execute their part of the deal.

Guest idol_wild
Maybe their agents should screen the stuff they send out to folk then...

And yeah - that's an issue too. If one of the bands I was booking for responded to public criticism like that, I'd drop them from my roster in a second.

Totally - but then to many people Oceansize did execute their part of the deal and played a decent set. Thats all Im saying.

I've not taken the questions from the agent personally and totally think its fair that people have their opinions. I was just saying that in future that particular company may think again before sending a band this way (wrongly I would obviously add)

With regards what the band have replied with, I honestly think its fair enough for them to reply to comments that were fairly personal in the first place - granted a monkey pissing wasnt great, but the second reply Id say was fair decentish.

Guest idol_wild
Totally - but then to many people Oceansize did execute their part of the deal and played a decent set. Thats all Im saying.

I've not taken the questions from the agent personally and totally think its fair that people have their opinions. I was just saying that in future that particular company may think again before sending a band this way (wrongly I would obviously add)

With regards what the band have replied with, I honestly think its fair enough for them to reply to comments that were fairly personal in the first place - granted a monkey pissing wasnt great, but the second reply Id say was fair decentish.

Fair play on issue one there. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on that. But I was just outlining that the agency needn't be asking you what went wrong, given that you got a good crowd through the door. If the agency genuinely thinks twice about booking another one of its acts an Aberdeen show because of some of the negative responses on this thread, then the agency isn't up to scratch, frankly. I'd like to think they won't adopt that attitude, though.

And I personally don't feel the band should have responded to Tim with either of those messages. The second one was just as horrendous - the boy Vennart suggested Tim was autistic! Whether he is being facetious or not, is beside the point. You said this earlier:

Granted the band should never have replied with the video thing, but its gone on a bit too long now to the point I have their agents and others from that company asking why Aberdeen was so negative. Whilst I realise that some people didnt enjoy and are clearly not fans of the guys personally now either, I would suggest that its not really doing anyone much good, after all word spreads amongst bands/agents/sound techs/management and its hard enough to get big bands up here already!

Well, word spreads around music fans/promoters about band members doing cuntish things like emailing those two messages to Tim. Simple as, really.

If I discover that bands are cunts, I usually tend to listen to them a lot less (or not at all) and avoid their live shows. And I certainly wouldn't ever want to book them.

stuff

Yet again, complete truth from you, Mr Q.

I was considering going to this but other plans meant I couldn't. Glad I didn't now. Despite not being there, I still think I can offer an opinion on this whole thing - whoever sent the first message to Tim needs to grow up, and the second one is just pretty pathetic as well. It's all good having a laugh and that, heckling can be amazing if done well, but those messages are pretty sad really.

Were people actually impolite at the gig, or just generally despondent? Mr Vennart's moaning is giving me flashbacks to Dananananaykroyd's onstage sulking a wee while ago.

Just in case their agent is reading too.

I think with it being a Saturday there was an element of people who may have just gone with their mates to start a night out and hence there was a fair bit of the annoying chat going around.

With regards the agency comments I made yesterday I think I may have overreacted as I was at the time enduring 5 horrendous metal bands at work when I initially read it. In hindsight the agency may have been just asking my opinion of the show and gathering bith sides of why it was a negative show. All good!

Mike V has emailed me today to say that none of this reflects badly on AGP or the venue and they appreciated the way they were treated throughgout the day etc, that he just felt that people were not interested from the start and that the chatting people spoiled it for those that were enjoying it. He incidentally came across perfectly nicely in said email!

I guess we can just conclude that the band didnt feel the crowd was up for it, some of the crowd didnt think the band were up for it = relatively poor show for some!

Ha, that would be a treat.

I wasnt going to post this but hey ho... this would be my message from Mike...

Hi Ross

I'll be honest, yeah the abuse from that one (!) chap did make me perhaps overly concerned. His ranting was pretty lengthy yet relatively vague so i still don't really know why the long faces. I did see some of the stuff people have said on that forum - it's a shame they couldn't harness all the energy they've since expended hating me and used it to cheer on the band that was playing their hearts out for them.

Whilst we do our best to entertain, it was apparent that most people that night just wanted to get pissed, chat and cause a distraction for the few people that did want to immerse themselves. That's what i objected to. That's why i said, 'Thanks for listening, those of you that did'.

Ah well.

Thanks for taking care of us at the show. We appreciate good hospitality. The show's relative failure doesn't reflect on you or the venue in any way. But in all honesty - no, i have no great desire to play there again in the future.

All the best,

Mike Vennart

And their tour blog from their myspace...

Post-tour, Pre-recording

Just a quick emission to say thanks to all who came to see us on this tour.

Thanks also to our incredible support acts - Vessels, And So I Watch From Afar and Brontide. All were spectacular.

Highlights? - London, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Glasgow.... all warm and vibe-tastic (despite major gremlins in our machines at the London show. Thanks for egging us on - we really needed it).

Lowlights - Aberdeen Tunnels was kind of an uphill struggle. A sold out show rammed with intoxicated people shouting at each other. So loud was the bustle that it made it actually very difficult to play some of the quieter numbers. Thanks to those who did listen, we appreciate your patience.

We're also aware that some of you maybe didn't get to hear your favourite songs on this tour - dually noted, although it was expected. We, perhaps quite selfishly, played lots of unreleased material in preparation for the recording of our new album, which will commence this week. Also, often the songs that get requested are 10 minutes long, and enough of them will cane half the set. Also, we don't want you guys seeing the same show over and over. Apologies if you didn't get your song - we'll try to make it up to you next time. Dates are being pencilled in for September, i believe.

Huge love to our crew across the various dates - Ace TM/Guitar tech Ben Pomphrett, Sound bringer Oyvind Kurszus, and lampies Dave Morrissey and Ben (surname not available at this time). Did us proud, they did.

Hopefully we'll get some kind of video blog going for the recording. If there's time. Oh fuck, the camera's broke innit. Forgot. Hmm.

Peace, love and a multitude of distortion effects,

Michael James Vennart.

Guest idol_wild

Mike V has emailed me today to say that none of this reflects badly on AGP or the venue and they appreciated the way they were treated throughgout the day etc, that he just felt that people were not interested from the start and that the chatting people spoiled it for those that were enjoying it. He incidentally came across perfectly nicely in said email!

So, he's essentially blaming parts of the audience? Fucking hell, that is pretty epic. It's almost as if they are conceding that they played poorly/indifferently/whatever purely because he felt the crowd weren't up for it. To me, that's unprofessional. If a portion of the crowd were up for it, then focus on playing for them.

And of course it doesn't reflect badly on AGP - this only reflects badly on the band. Who the fuck does he actually think he is?

Sometimes I fucking hate bands. I know I wasn't at the gig and stuff, but I still feel strongly about bands who do this sort of thing. :down:

Although he is giving decent responses, they all seem to be very condescending and with that blog he just comes across like he is trying to throw his weight about. There wouldn't have even been a 'highlights/lowlights' if Aberdeen was a good gig.

HE had a bad gig, and the audience didn't enjoy HIS band, but I think pretty much every post here that has mentioned Vessels has been positive - so why try and discourage bands from coming up here?

That is two members of that band that have gotten right on my nerves. Bassist is a top chap though. Spoke to all the bands when he played with Kong and was full of compliments.

It would be interesting to hear what the other 2 bands felt about the night....I can't say I recall any major problems with folk yapping, certainly no more than any other gig in Aberdeen.

They obviously normally get a rapt audience, just like the one in 'Purple Rain' that are just standing watching Prince perform the song of the title (in an amazingly slick rendition considering it stems from a vary basic piano demo Wendy and Lisa did and he has never performed with the band) as if they are showroom dummies garbed in incredible 80's fashions ....

I digress slightly...I had never heard them before that gig and didn't enjoy them at all...the feedback stating they never played their better stuff may at one point have led me to give them another go but after seing this guy's attitude towards paying customers I won't even contemplate it.

The seems to have a generally inflated sense of his own worth and maybe his ickle feelings are all hurt because the support bands blew him off stage.

It's difficult to keep a rapt audience when you're playing songs that none of them have heard before. This is especially true of the music Oceansize make where it can sometimes take a few listens for things to come together. Surely as a band you have to anticipate that you aren't guaranteed to get a positive reaction when you're trying things out.

That said, I still loved the old stuff they played and would go see them again if I got the chance - preferably after I've had some time with the new material...

• 7 months later...