aberdeen-music

Oceansize + ASIWYFA + Vessels (rescheduled) - Sat 30 Jan @ Tunnels

After my scathing attack on a local forum on Oceansize's recent gig. They personally got in touch to send me a video of a monkey pissing into its own mouth with the caption "fuck off, yeah?".....

*slow clap

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs238.snc3/22536_290587031405_592211405_3937459_7761061_n.jpg

Hahahaha. What?!

Incredible. Not the monkey pissing in its own mouth, just the fact they bothered enough to contact you.

After my scathing attack on a local forum on Oceansize's recent gig. They personally got in touch to send me a video of a monkey pissing into its own mouth with the caption "fuck off, yeah?".....

*slow clap

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs238.snc3/22536_290587031405_592211405_3937459_7761061_n.jpg

Haha, mature. If they're going to the bother of searching you on Myspace just to tell you to fuck off couldn't a member of the band sign up to the forum and discuss the gig here?

*slow clap

I hope that you sent them a message back stating that drinking monkey p**s would be an infinitely more enjoyable experience than listening to their music at the Tunnels was.

Mike Patton style - "Oceansize, YOU SUCK" <incredulous look to camera>

Guest idol_wild
Haha, mature. If they're going to the bother of searching you on Myspace just to tell you to fuck off couldn't a member of the band sign up to the forum and discuss the gig here?

Good call. I'd like to see that.

Hey, if Stuart Braithwaite isn't too big to do it, then Oceansize certainly aren't too big to do it.

We are sure it was an actual member of the band that sent that and not a person who looks after their myspace? They seem like the sort of band that would get someone to run their online stuff. Just saying

I doubt it to be honest, I'd be surprised if they could afford such a 'luxury', unless it's some sort of zealous fanboy who does it for free.

Ok time to finally put this debate to rest. I replied to Oceansize's message both with sarcasm (it has to be said) and also with my main points being that the room was full of fans that felt let down. And here is what Michael had to say to me;

Hello chap

I'm not really convinced that a couple of off-hand onstage sarcastic comments -meant with the best of intentions: to raise a smile - warrant the two puerile and incoherent comments left on this site. Comments which frankly boarder on the hysterical.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show. We play every night to the best of our abilities, and we pretty much consistently enjoy it. However, much of the audience at the Tunnels were simply not interested in hearing us. That's fine - some people are easily distracted. Some people just aren't gonna like us. Personally, i find that if i'm not enjoying a band, i'll leave the room, rather than stand in the middle of the crowd shouting at my mates. That's not to say i don't like hecklers - i embrace them with open arms. I'm a fair believer in the reciprocal nature of live performance: The audience have to try too.

Also, I'm sorry you didn't get to hear your (former) favourite songs ON YOUR BIRTHDAY.

Here's an interesting article from Crack.com that may help you.

Peace and love,

Michael James Vennart

----------------------------------------------------

#1. Internet Asperger's Syndrome (a.k.a. The Troll)

We can't take credit for this one, blogger and Internet entrepreneur Jason Calacanis coined the term "Internet Asperger's Syndrome" to describe the utter loss of all social rules and empathy that seems to hit some people for no other reason than that they happen to be communicating via keyboard and monitor at the time.

We don't need to retell all of the horror stories. A kid commits suicide on webcam while the trolls cheer him on, Anonymous mocks a suicide victim, some kids fire a baby out of a giant slingshot for a YouTube video (we're not sure if that last one actually happened but it's really just a matter of time).

Normal kids, good grades, no criminal records... but get them in a chat room and suddenly it reads like the transcript to a Charles Manson parole hearing.

In Real Life it's Called...

Asperger's Syndrome.

This rarely diagnosed but often claimed disorder is a mild form of Autism that comes with what seems to be a biological inability to show empathy for other human beings, as well as (and maybe stemming from) an inability to recognize nonverbal cues. They continually do weird, upsetting things because they don't know it's upsetting you. That part of their brain is broken.

People cringe when they hear this term because they know that a large number of the teenagers claiming Asperger's are, in fact, merely dicks.

So Why Does it Happen on the Internet?

Calacanis figured out that people who do all of their communicating online wind up mimicking Asperger's behaviors because they are imposing the same disadvantages on themselves. In both cases, when the ability to see nonverbal responses and facial expressions goes away, so does empathy. Soon the thing you're communicating with isn't a person, they're just a bunch of words on a screen. A bunch of words that the little bastard didn't even bother to spellcheck.

So basically I have Asperger's or mild autism. I'm off to the doctor first thing tomorrow.