aberdeen-music

Oceansize + ASIWYFA + Vessels (rescheduled) - Sat 30 Jan @ Tunnels

This was a good gig, kinda marred by the Oceansize vocalist acting like a twat between songs. I wonder if he would have shut up if Satan really had fisted him in the ear. Wish they played Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions, if they did and I missed it sounded NOTHING like on record :p

Vessels were lush again. Even better this time I'd say. Their awareness of dynamics is quite something.

ASIWYFA bore the pants off me - I see that freaking swoosh pedal was in full force again.

Oceansize were so clinical super tight, but I've never really been into them, so after about 45 mins or so I was done. The first song was my favourite of the set - it was absolutely crushing.

Good to see such a healthy turn out though. Well done Ross!

p.s. The best part of my night was when I bumped into the guitarist from BROKEN OATH who used to wear the 3/4 length trackies. Winner.

• Upvote 1

Vessels are top drawer. Proper groove-drummer there and some very nice soundscapes. ASIWYFA weren't quite as bad as I'd been led to believe, though it really didn't jump out and grab me either. Wasn't particularly enjoying Oceansize that much TBH.

Good night though, and great to see so many faces along.

:up:

Vessels were great, I bought their album a while back on recommendation from Rob Kartta but was unconvinced, they are definitely one of those bands who come across more live.

ASIWYFA I also thought were really good, some good crunchy riffing going on.

Oceansize were so dull I left before the end, a few good instrumental parts but just dull, dull, dull. Haven't actually heard them before but really uninspired to check them out further.

I pretty much thought the bill should have been in reverse.

Wish i'd caught more of Vessels, they seemed like my cuppa.

ASIWYFA were fucking awesome, mind you i was only really there to see them, tight as bits.

Oceansize bored the living christ out of me, played what felt like about 7 hours of indistinguishable droany mush, with occasional highlights in tight heavy parts (i should add- not coz "i like metal so i only liked the heavy bits hur hur", but to the uninitiated listener there was no definition between any of the instruments unless the distortion was on).

Given that almost everyone i know told me they were the bollocks, i was pretty let down.

17 a shirt. i think that their shirts are stinking. Dull band, they get a two-toned GAAAAAAAAAASH from me.

GW annoyed them the last time with a timely "YOOSE ARE WORSE THAN CANCER" effort between songs

Only one itchy, ginger headed Dundonian could come out with that.

I pretty much thought the bill should have been in reverse.

I agree! Vessels were absolutely brilliant, I look forward to seeing them again although not to the same extent, I was impressed by And So I Watch You From Afar...I can see why people dont like them too though

Oceansize had some good riffs but mainly bored me. I headed after half an hour.

...did they play Homage to a Shame?

:'(

yes.

Oceansize still remain one of the best bands in the UK in my opinion. Just a poor balance of set list. Frames is one of the rgeatest albums ever and they only played on song from it.

On the plus side massive bereavement, the charm offensive and homage to a shame wre all immense.

Oh and mike vennart is a wanker. Genius, but a total knob.

I was disappointed by the number of songs in the Oceansize set I didn't know, I'm assuming they were new ones. Massive Bereavement was easily the highlight for me, don't think I'd seen them play it in any of the other gigs I've been to over the years. I can understand them only doing one from Effloresce but to only do one song from Frames was a shock. New stuff wasn't very interesting either, apart from the set closer, that was alright.

ASIWYFA were great too, I'd been looking forward to seeing them almost as much as the size and I wasn't at all disappointed. I think they're good fun, with more catchy hooks than the typical no-vocals-band. Had a wee chat with the drummer and one of the guitarists at the merch stand after it was all over, turns out I'd been to their first ever UK gig a couple of years back. Go Team Me.

Unfortunately I was late to the Vessels party so didn't get much of a feel for them. Will have to do some investigating...

Vessels were lush again. Even better this time I'd say. Their awareness of dynamics is quite something.

ASIWYFA bore the pants off me - I see that freaking swoosh pedal was in full force again.

Oceansize were so clinical super tight, but I've never really been into them, so after about 45 mins or so I was done. The first song was my favourite of the set - it was absolutely crushing.

Good to see such a healthy turn out though. Well done Ross!

p.s. The best part of my night was when I bumped into the guitarist from BROKEN OATH who used to wear the 3/4 length trackies. Winner.

Aye the one that sounded like it was off of Bleach!!

Vessels were the tits as usual. Their new stuff sounded ace! Looking forward to the new album this year.

ASIWYFA actually made me yawn. I got clocked by the guitarist that wasn't a ginger douchebag when doing so. I guess I'm getting old. But it seemed like their riffs were all stolen and had no hook to them. Saturated in shit wasp like tones and played them as fast as they could just because... I dunno it might seem like a good Idea? I'm never a fan of drummers who take their tops off to show off their rippling guns before they've even lifted their sticks. It just seemed that they more liked the image of being in a band than make music. Looking around tough there were a lot of people loving it. I just didn't get it I guess.

Oceansize impressed me so much, they wiped the floor with every one they played with and I became one of their biggest fans and started calling them one of my favourite bands in the world... 8 years ago. That was when they mopped the floor with Biffy Clyro and Cooper Temple Clause at the lemon tree. I was there when they played to an empty Lava after that. Then a half empty kef the next time. I was even there for the infamous double booked gig at moshulu. But all those gigs were amazing. Last sat I found myself begging for the gig to end. It actually hurts me so much to see one of my FORMER favourite bands put on a show like the one they did. AND ON MY BIRTHDAY too. Who do they think they are?

I could understand in the past gigs that luck was never on their side so Mike had a reason to be grumpy. And when I found out Ross was putting this one on I thought "finally they'll get the respect they deserve". And they fucked it up. What gives Mike any right to heckle fans just because they request a song. I'm very sorry that the room is full of people who love your music, mate. I just thought after that first gig in Lava when it was just me, my flat mate, a few others and your support band in the crowd and you got stroppy that you'd be a little happy about it? That just confirms that he is just a massive wanker. The set wasn't the best. Prob the worst choice of songs. They picked too many new tracks from the new album which is yet to be released. What was with Mike's sinatra moment with the wine???? This however was the only time I've seen them play Massive Bereavement. Fitting as it was probably the last time I will ever go see them. I've lost all faith in them now.

Does any one want to buy my signed "Music For Nurses" vinyl?

Rant finished.

Oh dear! :(

I didnt get to see/hear as much as I would have liked properly as I was out in the corridor doing the door, but its a shame Oceansize seem to have ruffled a few feathers!

I caught a fair bit of Vessels and thought they were awesome, ASIWYFA were sounding pretty decent from where I was too. I would say in Oceansizes defence that the tour was largely to promote the new material, so perhaps a wee bit unfair to criticise them for playing too much of it. Also the band were all really nice people off stage, chatted away and were generally pretty friendly. There was indeed a difference when they went on stage though which Im not a fan of. If you can be nice before you go on, why act like a dick even if youre not one, whilst performing!

All in all I still think the night went well and was good to see people come along early so the supports got a good crowd.

Sometimes when things are hyped alot beforehand (and in this case for a fair while beforehand due to the cancellation) that theres always going to be a few people let down. I have spoken to people who really enjoyed Oceansize too so guess they didnt piss everyone off!

• Upvote 1