aberdeen-music

Lockerbie Bomber

Bigsby

He's been convicted of the mass-murder of 200 people.

But he's dying of cancer.

Should he be released on compassionate grounds?

Despite seeing the horror of this whole thing unfold first hand and seeing the impact it had on people i know i still think that releasing the guy is the right thing to do.

It's always been a bit of a shaky conviction too.

Not a done deal yet, but my perception is that we seem to be rolling over much more easily in Megrahi's case that we did in relation to Ronnie Biggs which I find both bizarre and appalling.

Also ask yourself this....would Harold Shipman, Rose West, Myra Hindley have been released if terminally ill? Would they fuck.

If his release goes through, it's an absolute outrage.

Well fucking said!

The plane blew up over brittish country side, took out roofs of houses and spread debris from the plane (Including passengers luggage and bodies) into peoples gardens, farms and houses. But it's ok... because he has cancer? Aye fucking right he has cancer, sounds like karma to me.

Karma. What a fairytale. Just when you thought My Name is Earl plots were running dry.

Number 209. Bombed a Plane.

Did he actually do it, though? The conviction was always a bit dodgy.

If he actually did it then he's a worthless piece of shit who should stay locked up 'til he's dead and gone, regardless of his physical condition.

Well, we can hardly release him on grounds that his conviction was a little iffy. He was convicted, and that is that.

Until proven otherwise, he should be treated like a mass murderer and rot in jail.

People seem to be forgetting that he'll die in less than three months if he gets out. It's not like he's going to Alton Towers then waving his cock at houses in Lockerbie. The guy's going to die.

I really don't think it makes a difference whether or not he's in prison in the next while, the end result's the same: improbable, possibly accidental terrorist (from theories I've heard, just throwing that in) will be dead. Deadsies. Gone. So, let him out.

I hope he doesn't get out, they were saying that even if does get out he would have to spend the rest of his sentance in his own country.

Even if he got out for a week before he died thats still a week with his family, to say his goodbyes and go in peace, i'd rather he die alone in a cell, whicj if i remember is bigger that most peoples flats.

Nail on head. Almost. He may have had a role in the planning or execution of the bombing, but he was not the prime mover, he was just another patsy. The clamour for his continued detention is a totally understandable emotional response from those who wish to see someone, anyone punished for the atrocity, when in fact the real culprits are the ones we're shaking hands with at summits and signing trade agreements with.

He's dropped his appeal, so he's no longer contesting the conviction, in the knowledge he'll be freed in a few days anyway. Scotland and the families get a conviction, Libya welcomes back a folk hero, and everyone gets the feeling they've drifted off ten minutes into a spy thriller and woken up just as the credits are away to roll.

Realpolitik. Don'tcha just love it?

pretty bang on like, yeah. i'd like to see a proper investigation into the bombing though. libya have been accused of several acts of state sponsored terror (so have the US and UK), but i sure both iran and syria have been mentioned as possible culprits for the bombing too, no? i'm not too hot on the facts really, though. no doubt the americans will be pretty miffed if he's released, even though libya haven't taken part in any acts of state terror since 94 (apparently) their relationship is still pretty bad.

i have no problem with him going home.

• Upvote 1

How long before middle America starts banning and renaming everything Scottish, like they did with "Freedom Fries"?

I'd give it 'til the weekend before the Aberdeen Steakhouses go out of business.

I went to Houston in 2003 in the height of the Iraq war. In the huge "Katy Mills" mall the one boarded up store front was a place selling crepes.