aberdeen-music

The Beatles Remastered

Bigsby

After 22 years on CD, The Beatles back catalogue has finally been remastered and is being released next month.

Details here:

Exciting new details of Beatles Remasters announced in Chicago - BeatlesNews.com

Please note, this thread is just for discussion of these new remasters, comments about how fucking shit The Beatles are should go in the "Best Band Ever" thread, thanks.

I like the Beatles. Not sure why they need remastered though. I have a few of the original 7" recordings in my collection (thanks Sis) and I've never thought there was a problem with the sound. It's just the sound of the sixties I suppose. So what's the advantage of having all these on new remastered CD's. Is not a bit like recording in super HiFi CD and adding background hiss and pops so it sounds like a record? I suppose it's the other way round.

I'm just asking, and it's not a dig or a put down of the Beatles.

Cheers

Bri

I'm swithering whether to make a purchase but if I do it'll be the mono versions as they were the ones The Beatles concentrated their time on... and left the stereo ones to George Martin. The price though....how many times are we supposed to pay top dollar for the same basic product? There is very little in the way of extras (some short videos) and I think EMI missed a chance to give us value for money with something new.

The reason for the remastering is that the current CD versions are a tad lacking in depth especially bass. I've got the majority of the recent Purple Chick remasters, which were done to compensate for EMI dragging their heels and there is a huge difference. So it'll be cool to hear the official ones.

Remastering can be a dangerous process though. I remember hearing the remastered 70's ZZ Top albums done in the late 80s and the drum sound was appalling, indeed unlistenable.

I'll probably download them, sorry if people have a problem with it but I've already shelled out hundreds on everything The Beatles have ever done and have no inclination to do so again. I may pick them up down the line in a sale or whatever. But I guess I'll download the mono mixes of the earlier albums and stereo for the later ones.

Looking forward to hearing them though, the Yellow Submarine CD from about 10 years ago really showed what they could do to improve the 1987 CDs.

I'll probably download them, sorry if people have a problem with it but I've already shelled out hundreds on everything The Beatles have ever done and have no inclination to do so again. I may pick them up down the line in a sale or whatever. But I guess I'll download the mono mixes of the earlier albums and stereo for the later ones.

Looking forward to hearing them though, the Yellow Submarine CD from about 10 years ago really showed what they could do to improve the 1987 CDs.

i've no problem, I'll be doing the same. The cost of the two box sets are appalling - especially when you consider the mono & stereo versions of the albums would have managed onto one CD in most cases.

They only get remastered so all the "bigwigs" of the record companies can make more money off living legends

Erm.... The record company overseeing these remasters is apple corp - which is of course owned by those 'living legends'.

By the way, calling Harrison and Lennon living legends is a little inappropriate, isn't it?

This remastering is long overdue. I can only presume anyone objecting hasn't heard the Beatles on CD and does't appreciate the significance of the original mono versions getting released like this.

Still bloody expensive though.

I am at two minds about this, like most Beatles fans. It would be great to hear the albums remastered properly on CD, thus fully utilising today's technology, but I'll be fucked if I am paying full price for albums I have already paid full price for that were originally released 39+ years ago.

Supposedly there are clips of the remasters here, but I can't get them to play:

Cual Es?

Managed to get on to the site. I have to say the clips sound pretty good. I tried to do a A/B with the very few Beatle tracks I have at hand just. I would say, the new ones seem a bit more defined. The bass is good, but not overpowering. But then again I'm at least half deaf.

I'd a rush of blood to the head and ordered the Mono Box Set last night.. :help:

Could just be shrewd marketing, but it could turn out to be a good move. Amazon \US has sold out its allocation, so if it's truly a limited edition I guess it could be worth more than you paid for it in years to come.

Could just be shrewd marketing, but it could turn out to be a good move. Amazon \US has sold out its allocation, so if it's truly a limited edition I guess it could be worth more than you paid for it in years to come.

Yeah there is that although I have a lot of stuff of that nature and I doubt I'll ever sell...just keep hording :)

The main thing is that I do want to hear the mono versions as they were how The Beatles worked and thus they are how they wanted us to hear the songs. The Purple Chick mono versions were very enlightening and in some cases very different, so I look forward to the official ones. One negative to the mono box set is that Let It Be and Abbey Road are not included as they were stereo only releases, thus I will still have to shell out more :down: Having the tape and CD of the original Let It Be plus Naked, Abbey Road will be the priority though and I'm sure will be well worth it as it's a superb album.:up: