aberdeen-music

Grampian Motorcycle Convention

Skubbs

Is anyone coming to the Grampian Motorcycle Convention? It's on Sunday 6th September, at the Grampian Transport Museum.

Show starts at 11am, it was a bit of a let-down last year because of the weather (absolutely pouring all day!). Bon Accord Motorcycle Club are the joint organisers this year, and there seems to be a lot more on this year

The Purple Helmets have been booked as the main stunt act, really looking forward to it :) They're from the Isle of Man, and "look like Dads Army has just collided with Mad Max and combines the slapstick humor of Tommy Cooper with Benny Hill" :up: Has anyone seen them before?

I think there's actually a photo of one of the guys in the "photographs that make you laugh out loud" thread - it's the one with the guy on a motorbike with a trumpet stuck up his bum! I'm not sure how they'll get away with that in front of the kids... o_O

The details are on Home

Or is the lack of live music mean that no-one will fancy it? Maybe it's something to suggest for next year

I think there's actually a photo of one of the guys in the "photographs that make you laugh out loud" thread - it's the one with the guy on a motorbike with a trumpet stuck up his bum! I'm not sure how they'll get away with that in front of the kids... o_O

The details are on Home

Or is the lack of live music mean that no-one will fancy it? Maybe it's something to suggest for next year

so thats where that pic comes from?

Do you get commission for every ticket sale you encourage?

Haha no, I've just never been before because I've always been working on the Sunday but I'm getting to go this year, and the purple helmets look quite a funny stunt act.

Take it you won't be bothering then?

Yeah that must be where the photo comes from, it was only when I had a looky at the website I realised I'd see it on here

i've been to this a few times. its a great day out, especially - obviously - if you are in any way into bikes.

they used to have "moped mahem" this is where team of three odd bikers would enter a 50cc bike into a 50 -100 entrant bike race.

funny as fuck, you had guys that normally drive 100bhp+ super bikes, racing in their one peice race suits on 50cc step throughs (complete with basket on the handle bars and the motor tuned so tight you'd be lucky if it had a 30 minute half life...)

good call slutbags.... :up:

Is anyone coming to the Grampian Motorcycle Convention?

Not been for years! It used to be a giggle.

It was an opportunity for armchair bikers to blow the dust off their garage-dwelling machines.

My enduring memory of the GMC is parking my bike next to a year-old Ducati 916 owned by some Dainese leather-clad fatboy who was holding court with some other bikers. He was gobshiting about all the expensive after-market performance mods he'd had fitted. I looked over at his odometer (the bike was running) and it had 86 miles on it.

86 miles in one year? - it kinda sums up the bike scene over the last 20 years. Full of technocrats and geeks who don't actually ride their fucking bikes.

The Moped race was hilarious.

Not been for years! It used to be a giggle.

It was an opportunity for armchair bikers to blow the dust off their garage-dwelling machines.

My enduring memory of the GMC is parking my bike next to a year-old Ducati 916 owned by some Dainese leather-clad fatboy who was holding court with some other bikers. He was gobshiting about all the expensive after-market performance mods he'd had fitted. I looked over at his odometer (the bike was running) and it had 86 miles on it.

86 miles in one year? - it kinda sums up the bike scene over the last 20 years. Full of technocrats and geeks who don't actually ride their fucking bikes.

The Moped race was hilarious.

so what did you/ do you ride?

86 miles?! another 400 odd and it might be just about run in... all the aftermarket stuff (i presume the usual suspects K&N filters, carbon fibre pipes etc would have blown his warranty to pieces and not done his motor any favours. for the record for the first few hundred miles you shouldn't do more than 55 mph (that's what the little red line on his speedo id for)

i bought my duc in 93, i didnt use it for 6 years, i have just over 10k on it

i'll get me coat...

so what did you/ do you ride?

86 miles?! another 400 odd and it might be just about run in... all the aftermarket stuff (i presume the usual suspects K&N filters, carbon fibre pipes etc would have blown his warranty to pieces and not done his motor any favours. for the record for the first few hundred miles you shouldn't do more than 55 mph (that's what the little red line on his speedo id for)

i bought my duc in 93, i didnt use it for 6 years, i have just over 10k on it

i'll get me coat...

Hi - I think at the time I had a Triumph T595 that I bought the with the insurance money from my Fireblade that was stolen in Amsterdam. A very underrated bike.

• 3 weeks later...

I went along to this. It was fun times. The moped mayhem stuff was good fun, and the Moto-X guys were good to watch as well. Total thumbs down for the Purple Helmets though. They were utter shit. I know their whole act was that they were supposed to be a bunch of drunk idiots, but they actually fucked up virtually every stunt, and not even on purpose. Gash.

Lots of nice bikes around and I got to have a nose through the museum, which I've been planning to do for months but never got around to.

I was disappointed by the purple helmets too, they were absolutely blutered and the guy in the middle of the track just describing what they were doing, in monotone, made it worse. The funny music and sped up videos on their website should have a disclaimer on it "warning: we are actually crap"

What was especially shit was that after boring the tits off everyone for 45 minutes with their shite stunts, they came back on two hours later, and did exactly the same shite stunts, in the same order.

Motorbike stunts are only good if you don't fall off every time you try do one of them. Only the commentator found it funny, and presumably he was their mate.

I don't think it's set in stone, but it had been planned. A lot of customers have commented on how drunk the act were, so it's a bit daft that the museum have stalls selling motorbike clothing and police/paramedic info points to promote safety and here are the main act, shitfaced and falling off of their bikes.

I was disappointed by the purple helmets too, they were absolutely blutered and the guy in the middle of the track just describing what they were doing, in monotone, made it worse. The funny music and sped up videos on their website should have a disclaimer on it "warning: we are actually crap"

But did they stick a trumpet up their arse or what?