aberdeen-music

Meteor Shower

Skacel

I looked out the window when I went to bed and it was suddenly clear skies with loads of stars out. So we switched all the lights off and sat in the dark for 20 minutes but only saw 2 shooting stars. I suspect my bedroom window was facing the wrong bit of sky, but still two isn't bad.

Was out for about an hour and a half last night saw about 8 I think, 2 really good ones. It was a bit too cloudy though.

Also I've never noticed before but you can see satellites zooming about up there, pretty cool.

I'll probably head out tonight for another look, weather permitting.

It was quite cloudy last night at around midnight but was pretty clear at 3am and the best display I have seen this year so far.

Re satellites: they move quite quickly across the sky and of course they aren't very far away.

You can also spot the Space Station as its recently added new solar panels that appear to light up when the station is in sunlight and we are in darkness.

below is a helpful link:

2010 - NASA Science

It was quite cloudy last night at around midnight but was pretty clear at 3am and the best display I have seen this year so far.

Re satellites: they move quite quickly across the sky and of course they aren't very far away.

You can also spot the Space Station as its recently added new solar panels that appear to light up when the station is in sunlight and we are in darkness.

below is a helpful link:

2010 - NASA Science

Things are probably a wee bit easier to spot where you are just south of the city. In the BOD the night sky isn't usually very clear imo; too much light pollution.

• 6 months later...

visible aurora tonight

Saw one particularly Deep Impact-esque meteor last night. Whoosh.

I think I accidentally made fun of some druids hanging out near some standing stones.

Quite a good visual aurora right now. It fades and ripples in and out but quite a wide, curtain like display.

If you are somewhere clear of street lighting look towards the North East.

It always nice to see the Northern Lights and this display is free!

auroral acitivity

Still going? Worth waking the parents? I'm down in Newtonhill

Sorry for the slow response I had to go into Aberdeen.

Right now the skies are clear but it could come back any minute.

The link below shows an awful lot of red! This diagram shows how far south the auroral activity is extending. As you can see from the chart on the last pass of the satellite the area was reaching further south than us.

I am going to bed - got to work tomorrow - suggest you only wake your parents if you see a lot of activity.

Graham

PS I am at Findon - very close to you - but this villages has no street lights at all but I do get some light from Aberdeen to the north. From Newtonhill you should see it best if it re-appears looking out to sea towards the North East.

PM me how you get on - otherwise we will bore all the musicians.

Northern Hemisphere Enlarged View

Argh! I've been wanting to see the Aurora for ages. Was really annoyed the other week when the biggest solar flare for 4 years erupted and it was pissing it with rain all week so we couldn't see anything.

Going to get the torch out and go for a walk tonight and see if I can see anything.

Oh and thanks for posting that link! Much more useful than the frequently rubbish AuroraWatch.

I saw them out in Banchory the weekend before last.

*grumble*

Right I'm definitely going out tonight if it stays clear. Reckon if I walk out Arbeadie Road a bit it should be far enough from houses to see something. The other options could be down to the river bank out towards crathes or up Scolty. But those are a bit far to go late in the evening when a warm house and the TV are beckoning.

*grumble*

Right I'm definitely going out tonight if it stays clear. Reckon if I walk out Arbeadie Road a bit it should be far enough from houses to see something. The other options could be down to the river bank out towards crathes or up Scolty. But those are a bit far to go late in the evening when a warm house and the TV are beckoning.

I was at Sunset Seat. Its just in the woods off Hillcroft Road, to the north. Follow the path past the No Dumping sign. Its a good spot.

I was at Sunset Seat. Its just in the woods off Hillcroft Road, to the north. Follow the path past the No Dumping sign. Its a good spot.

Cool, that looks close to where I was thinking of heading anyway. If I don't get out tonight I'll try again when it's clear.

Argh! I've been wanting to see the Aurora for ages. Was really annoyed the other week when the biggest solar flare for 4 years erupted and it was pissing it with rain all week so we couldn't see anything.

Going to get the torch out and go for a walk tonight and see if I can see anything.

Oh and thanks for posting that link! Much more useful than the frequently rubbish AuroraWatch.

you know the aurorawatch live monitor is actually in banchory don't you? i've heard nothing but good things about it before now.

you know the aurorawatch live monitor is actually in banchory don't you? i've heard nothing but good things about it before now.

It never sends an email when there's any activity! It's useless. The website isn't much better. There'll be loads of stuff in the news about solar flares and aurora activity and AuroraWatch will have nothing on it's graphs. Or they send out an email the day after an aurora.

I've been registered on it for years and only had 2 emails; one of which was a technical fault.

it's got a pretty clear increase in activity from 5 through to midnight. so yer speaking shite.

It's got a slight increase but is still very much green. By it's own explanation it's still showing quiet activity and didn't send an alert email so if I was looking at aurorawatch and deciding if it was worth going out I wouldn't bother based on that.