aberdeen-music

The Huns - Pitied or Scolded?

Diesel

Having abstained this far, I'm not having the mighty Arabs dragged into this nonsense. The rivalry between United and Dundee ceased to be even vaguely religious so long ago as to be almost completely irrelevant. Yes, the two sides originally had religious bases a hundred years ago, but happily we have evolved far beyond the necessity to cling to dogma and stupidity.

Also, before anyone brings up the Derry references, I'd suggest they check what one one of the stands at Dens is referred to as.

There is a difference between rivalry and complete and utter bigotry.

The old firm are a total disgrace.

Rivalries are different from a hatred derived from religious bigotry.

[EDIT= Beat me to it, JM. But have some rep.]

Having abstained this far, I'm not having the mighty Arabs dragged into this nonsense. The rivalry between United and Dundee ceased to be even vaguely religious so long ago as to be almost completely irrelevant. Yes, the two sides originally had religious bases a hundred years ago, but happily we have evolved far beyond the necessity to cling to dogma and stupidity.

Also, before anyone brings up the Derry references, I'd suggest they check what one one of the stands at Dens is referred to as.

He said hatred, not bigitory. Be clearer next time, eh?.

Hearts and Hibs rivarly still stems from Religion.

The OF have done a great deal to combat the problems, what remains is the doss cunts who still hold true to old values - which there are still plenty of in any side with religious ties - it's just present more in others.

There is a difference between rivalry and complete and utter bigotry.

The old firm are a total disgrace.

Rivalries are different from a hatred derived from religious bigotry.

[EDIT= Beat me to it, JM. But have some rep.]

No, they haven't. They pay lip service to it, but ultimately keep it going because it increase revenue for both of them.

Banned certtain songs from playing on the tannoy, remove anyone from the ground who are caught singing anything sectarian, banned any Ulster related gear from the stadium. There's not a great deal more the club can actually do other than close the stadium and play behind closed doors, which I'm sure you lot would love.

If you honestly think that the majority of United and Dundee fans genuinely hate each other, I am lost for words. To even compare the rivalry between the two Dundee teams to the hatred that exists between significant sections of Old Firm fans is just daft.

If you honestly think that the majority of United and Dundee fans genuinely hate each other, I am lost for words. To even compare the rivalry between the two Dundee teams to the hatred that exists between significant sections of Old Firm fans is just daft.

The comparision wittles away when you compare the support for the sides. For every 1 Dundee/United fan who's a cunt, you probably have 50 OF fans. Hatred is hatred no matter what spin you put on it, I know the old firm are worse, thats why I said it's present more in certain sides.

Rangers are scum. And all their fans. Every last one of them. Especially those from up here who are 'massive' fans and have no weegie connections and never stepped foot in Ibrox.

To summarise:

Rangers die.

Bigotry:

1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

To be fair......

Anyway, Huns, fucking hate them.

Banned certtain songs from playing on the tannoy, remove anyone from the ground who are caught singing anything sectarian, banned any Ulster related gear from the stadium. There's not a great deal more the club can actually do other than close the stadium and play behind closed doors, which I'm sure you lot would love.

Absolute nonsense. I've been to Ibrox and Parkhead on many occasions and have never seen anyone getting turfed out for spewing their bile.

If anything the weegie cops pick on away fans for merely trying to support their team and throw THEM out. Not to mention the torrents of abuse and being pelted with various items by the wonderful old firm fans.

The gutter trash of society.

Not a lot more that can be done? How about a 20 point deduction.... I bet that would stamp it out.

As for the "action" taken, I have yet to see a Huns crowd that doesn't fly Red Hand of Ulster flags.

Add to that the Israeli/Palestinian flags in Rangers/Celtic ends respectively (a brilliant case of the Old Firm co-opting human tragedy for football point scoring), the songs that are sung week in week out by both of the ugly sisters and the fact that the Huns actually had an orange away kit (to "honour" their Dutch contingent...aye right), not to mention Donald Finlay, and I think the term "action" is a tad strong.

• Upvote 1

Have to disagree with this. I was down at Ibrox last year (away section of course) and there were red hand of ulster flags being waved about, little kids holding up orange scarves with no surrender written on them. Derry's walls was being sung loud and clear.

The comparision wittles away when you compare the support for the sides. For every 1 Dundee/United fan who's a cunt, you probably have 50 OF fans. Hatred is hatred no matter what spin you put on it, I know the old firm are worse, thats why I said it's present more in certain sides.

Erm, yes, I'd say the comparison is non-existent. Thank you. And, as was pointed out earlier, you are confusing hatred with rivalry.

Absolute nonsense. I've been to Ibrox and Parkhead on many occasions and have never seen anyone getting turfed out for spewing their bile.

If anything the weegie cops pick on away fans for merely trying to support their team and throw THEM out. Not to mention the torrents of abuse and being pelted with various items by the wonderful old firm fans.

The gutter trash of society.

Not a lot more that can be done? How about a 20 point deduction.... I bet that would stamp it out.

I've sat and watched people being thrown out many times, a friend of mind had his season ticket revoked for being an arsehole.

The problem is that no matter what the club does, they can't silence and punish every single person at every moment it's improbable that this would be possible.

As for the "action" taken, I have yet to see a Huns crowd that doesn't fly Red Hand of Ulster flags.

Add to that the Israeli/Palestinian flags in Rangers/Celtic ends respectively (a brilliant case of the Old Firm co-opting human tragedy for football point scoring), the songs that are sung week in week out by both of the ugly sisters and the fact that the Huns actually had an orange away kit (to "honour" their Dutch contingent...aye right), not to mention Donald Finlay, and I think the term "action" is a tad strong.

You remember how long ago the Orange strip and Donald Finlay things were? I'm referring to recent years.

As the for the confusing "hate" with rivalry, no. I never said "all" "almost all" fans hate each other, I was stating, and now repeating myself, that there is, hate between sides - it's just more prominent in the Old Firm, and I'm sure that lot could muster up as many fans then it would look that way too.

Talking to a wall, here.

The irritating thing is that Celtic/Rangers are supposed to be the bitter ivals who hate each other, but Aberdeen fans are the worst for it against us from what I've experienced, I'm not saying they're all like that, and I'm sure in some parts we're just as bad.

I've sat and watched people being thrown out many times, a friend of mind had his season ticket revoked for being an arsehole.

The problem is that no matter what the club does, they can't silence and punish every single person at every moment it's improbable that this would be possible.

You remember how long ago the Orange strip and Donald Finlay things were? I'm referring to recent years.

As the for the confusing "hate" with rivalry, no. I never said "all" "almost all" fans hate each other, I was stating, and now repeating myself, that there is, hate between sides - it's just more prominent in the Old Firm, and I'm sure that lot could muster up as many fans then it would look that way too.

Talking to a wall, here.

The irritating thing is that Celtic/Rangers are supposed to be the bitter ivals who hate each other, but Aberdeen fans are the worst for it against us from what I've experienced, I'm not saying they're all like that, and I'm sure in some parts we're just as bad.

No you're right. I'm pretty sure EVERY Aberdeen fan hates Rangers. Saying that i'm no Celtic fan either...far from it.

To be honest you could argue till your blue in the face, nae just the nose, about how Rangers are this and that...etc i, along with thousands wouldnt listen to you.

We fucking hate Rangers. Bottom line.

The hate is more prominent between the Old Firm because of the filth that they're brought up around.

A die-hard Rangers family from Govan will care whether a person is catholic or protestant - no doubt about it. And their kids will be brought up the same way. Hell, my mother's side of the family are Rangers fans, and whilst being exceptionally nice people, even they care - and it winds me up no end.

The hate is more prominent between the Old Firm because of the filth that they're brought up around.

A die-hard Rangers family from Govan will care whether a person is catholic or protestant - no doubt about it. And their kids will be brought up the same way. Hell, my mother's side of the family are Rangers fans, and whilst being exceptionally nice people, even they care - and it winds me up no end.

Stereotyping right there, well done. I have family from Govan, 2 of whom married into a Catholic family.

No you're right. I'm pretty sure EVERY Aberdeen fan hates Rangers. Saying that i'm no Celtic fan either...far from it.

To be honest you could argue till your blue in the face, nae just the nose, about how Rangers are this and that...etc i, along with thousands wouldnt listen to you.

We fucking hate Rangers. Bottom line.

That was always going to be the problem trying to stick up for my team in Aberdeen :up:

Yes, it's a stereotype - I'm not denying that; all I'm saying is you take a family (obviously not like your own) who are that-way-inclined and it will filter through from generation to generation because the bigotry amongst the Old Firm fans is never allowed to die.

Are you seriously trying to say that the 'hatred' Dundee United fans have for Dundee fans is the same as the 'hatred' that exists between Rangers and Celtic fans?

Yes, it's a stereotype - I'm not denying that; all I'm saying is you take a family (obviously not like your own) who are that-way-inclined and it will filter through from generation to generation because the bigotry amongst the Old Firm fans is never allowed to die.

Are you seriously trying to say that the 'hatred' Dundee United fans have for Dundee fans is the same as the 'hatred' that exists between Rangers and Celtic fans?

I said earlier;

hatred is hatred no matter what spin you put on it

So in a way yes, but, as I already said, I know that it is much less of a problem down that way, one that isn't very evident - but to try and argue that no one in Dundee holds a hatred similar to that of an OF fan for the other side is just ludicris. That's part and parcel of having a rival, people will always hate them, no matter what it's in.