aberdeen-music

LUKE LEIGHFIELD+Cast of The Capital+Marionettes+LightGuides+Nicky Powel@Tunnels

AGP and Nitrogen Promotions (co promotion) present

LUKE LEIGHFIELD

plus support

Dec 16th @ Tunnels

Tickets 5 on sale now at One Up and Welcome to TicketWeb!

14+ show

MySpace - Luke - 22 - Male - Upton upon Severn / Southampton, UK - myspace.com/lukeleighfield

Perhaps best known for the part he played in the success of Get Cape Wear Cape Fly (where he played violin), Luke's solo material resembles a fantastic mix between Ben Folds & the likes of Death Cab For Cutie.

Some quotes

Luke Leighfield basically owned the crowd. He played brilliantly, then in one of his last songs, managed to get the three-days-hungover, lethargic and lounging-on-the-ground crowd to all stand up and do big stadium clapping. It was awesome. He writes brilliant songs and is enormous fun live."

Marsha Shandur, Xfm

"Luke Leighfield is just getting better and better. His tunes have a way of sticking fast in your head, and it's a real joy to watch him at a gig where everyone's singing along, so you have an almost community feel about the gig, but in the way that you very much feel part of that gang, regardless of whether or not you've seen him before (I know from my first experience, and from others having related that to me)."

Marsha Shandur, Xfm

This full band show is part of a massive European tour to promote new release "Have You Got Heart" and is sure to be a belter!

Locals tbc soon

I think I'm as confused as Ross about this issue that people seem to have.

Can someone please explain?

Call yourself a music promoter and yet you don't know who Del is? Pah!

Adam's bang on the money. Del's supported (and booked) Luke a fair few times if I'm right, and it wouldn't have been a huge shock if mistakes in animation came along for the tour too :)

(Del's also a thoroughly decent bloke and comes highly recommended if he ever wants to gig up here...)

Call yourself a music promoter and yet you don't know who Del is? Pah!

Adam's bang on the money. Del's supported (and booked) Luke a fair few times if I'm right, and it wouldn't have been a huge shock if mistakes in animation came along for the tour too :)

(Del's also a thoroughly decent bloke and comes highly recommended if he ever wants to gig up here...)

mmm will have to check them out, although it will definitely be a surprise if they come along for the tour as theres no tour support been discussed and therefore no budget for them. Luke certainly didnt mention anything when we spoke to him about the dates and as well as the Aberdeen one with Inkster, Im doing his Edinburgh one just as AGP too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

first reviews coming in for Lukes new album...

Filling the niche of Britains answer to Piano-Popper Ben Folds is this sterling chap: Mr Luke Leighfield. Like Folds (an idol Im told) Leighfield has never paid too much attention to what musical styles are of the moment, instead choosing to carve his own brand of piano driven pop songs. But comparisons to the American alternate pop legend should only be made with some care, because theres so much more to Luke than that.

For a start while Folds songs are full of intrigue and mystery, songs from Lukes latest offering Have You Got Heart? wear their meanings proud on their sleeves: the sort of song-writing thats gripping because its so easy to identify with. Lyrical subtlety is never something Luke has placed high on his list of priorities and with good reason: hes created a style of no holds barred song-writing that gets across his point in the aural equivalent of a flashing neon sign. I nearly went so far as to describe this album as communist because its so of the people, and not just in sound: Luke has decided to pull a leaf from the Radiohead school of marketing and offer the album for free (or a donation).

Such a move just reinforces the overall message of the album (and a good deal of previous material from him) that music is about heart not money or fame. Its a message weve come to cynically beat down without much examination because for decades that message has been used to do the complete opposite. This album will light a glimmer of hope in even the hardest heart, maybe because the hard hitting no nonsense honesty of the songs feel like Luke is begging you to have faith in Music again. Its like learning to fall in love again after a difficult break-up: at the time it seems impossible but then along comes the special one and then all of a sudden youre left wondering how you ever doubted. Music can have heart, and this man is on a mission to prove it.

8/10