aberdeen-music

Does anyone repaint guitars?

Lemonade

I've taken a big chip out of the paintwork of my Tele, and instead of patching it up and it being a slightly different colour I thought about maybe just getting the whole thing repainted. I've seen someone attempt this before and fuck it up badly so I don't want to attempt it myself. Does anyone on here do this or know someone who does?

I want it to go from this:

Fender%20Telecaster%20Candy%20Apple%20Red%201966%20159311.jpg

to this:

fendertelecustom93.jpg

I remember getting a quote for a repaint on an old Pacifica and I was quoted 300 beans, and that was for a basic black. Sucked!

So I had a go myself. Attempted to make a yellow and black striped Van Halen type effort. Made a right dick of it, so I covered it in stickers.

Aye, that's why I'm looking for more of a bedroom guitar repairer than someone professional cos that will set me back a cunting fortune. I'm trying to pretty up that old Tele you sold me, I got a white sparkly scratchplate and some gold knobs and a gold plate, and Imma get some gold tuning pegs and it'll look reet good.

Aye, that's why I'm looking for more of a bedroom guitar repairer than someone professional cos that will set me back a cunting fortune. I'm trying to pretty up that old Tele you sold me, I got a white sparkly scratchplate and some gold knobs and a gold plate, and Imma get some gold tuning pegs and it'll look reet good.

Solid! What colour are you wanting to pain the body? (I can't see the picture at work)

Good colour choice!

You could probably get a motorcycle spraying company to do it for you (so long as it's not like... a properly fine tele), if all else fails.

It's not a dear guitar, it's just a Squire that I bought off Original Spies for 90. It sounds mint and plays great but it looks a bit beat up so I want to sex it up a bit. Which is why I'm not that concerned about just letting someone "have a go at it", if they think they know what they're doing...

It's a bit silly just how well that guitar plays considering the value of it. Really nice action. Open chords sound like beautiful people making sweet love.

I love hitting a really thick overdrive with it and just listening to it go fucking mental. I used it on Cobra Kai's first EP and it's the best guitar sound I've ever had on anything, ever. Jusrt perfect. Check out "Sins Of The Flesh" on Cobra Kai on MySpace Music and prepare to have your ears blown off around the 1.15 mark.

One of my mates makes and finishes guitars. So presumably he could do this for you. He doesn't have that much time for it these days though, due to work. I will ask him to see if he could do it and get both a price and time estimate from him if he can.

That would be ace, thanks.

People pay a lot of money for dings and scratches , leave it as it is :up:

also , you may find a refinish completely changes the sound of the guitar :down:

*finger in ears* NOT LISTENING!

Just learn to love the chip, some people pay lots of money for Fender to smash the guiatr up in the factory.

*finger still in ears* NOT LISTENING!

:up:

also , you may find a refinish completely changes the sound of the guitar :down:

I think that's unlikely in this case, maybe on a 40 year old nitro finish on a Gibson archtop or something, but replacing one relatively recent fairly thick poly finish with a brand new fairly thick poly finish on a solid body Fender won't affect things.

I think that's unlikely in this case, maybe on a 40 year old nitro finish on a Gibson archtop or something, but replacing one relatively recent fairly thick poly finish with a brand new fairly thick poly finish on a solid body Fender won't affect things.

Fender would have you believe that there is a difference to the acoustic characteristics of the wood between a standard nitro finish and a "thin skin" nitro finish , and even charge you extra for using less paint , if this cheapo guitar sounds so good as it is why risk changing it ? :down:

Fender would have you believe that there is a difference to the acoustic characteristics of the wood between a standard nitro finish and a "thin skin" nitro finish , and even charge you extra for using less paint , if this cheapo guitar sounds so good as it is why risk changing it ? :down:

Because he wants a different colour and the risk of the sound being altered is slim to nil.

it's the best guitar sound I've ever had on anything, ever. Jusrt perfect.

After saying that about it I would just leave it alone , no fancy gold bits , no fancy scratch plate , no new paint........

........for what you've spent on bits and what you will spend for someone to take it apart , paint it and put all the bits together you could buy a surf green tele :up:

..........then you'd have 2 , and know that at least one of them sounded just how you want :up:

The battered red Telecaster looks ace and manly. Like Joe Strummers battered black one he always played. Looks road worn and great.

The turquoise version with gold and spakly bits will only enhance your hair straightener/metrosexual image.

Which is fine if Cobra Kai are aiming to be the new Poison I suppose.

:up:

We're aiming to be the new Crue ;)