aberdeen-music

Loop Pedals

fatboy

I have an Boss RC-2 (the compact single pedal) been playing around with it for a few months and love being able to lay a rhythm down then instantly be able to get ideas for lead parts, cuts alot of time out of writting. Ive been watching a few vids online of people using the loop pedals to there upmost capabilty, pretty decent like how they can create whole songs from it, a few of them have the big one so its alot simpler to control parts/sequences when playing compared to my RC-2.

this guy is awesome YouTube - Boss Loop Station Contest www.Questpoetics.com original "Broken and Torn" RC-50

whats you thoughts on loop pedals? and do you have any tracks you have done with a loop pedal?

That's cool... kinda like Bob Sinclair except RIDICULOUSLY talanted. I want to rap whilst playing guitar! That man has pop sensibilities.

I'm with Ross though... the boys from battle can make a tune out of pretty much anything!

The guy from minus the bear/botch was really good too. I think live Steve from The Ocean Fracture was pretty good at it.

I've got the double pedal Boss one, mainly because it looked a lot easier to use and wasn't much more expensive than the RC2. It's quality, even though I'm a relative n00b with it. But I'm using it a lot at the moment to try and get my solo stuff on the go.

Oh and as an added bonus, whoever had it before me ( I got it off ebay) left a loop of awesome heavily delayed feedback-y noise, that sounds shit hot through the reverse setting. It's too nice to delete off of it, but I'll feel like a bit of a fraud if I ever use it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Gladstone

Just been doing a bit of online reading up about loop pedals/stations for bass.

They are pricey as fuck, but I really like the look of the Boss RC-50 or Boss RC-300. One link said the RC-300 is the "new RC-50" but looking at the basic info on the Boss website it doesn't look to have as many features as the RC-50. Anyone got any experience of these bad boys? I may put in a Xmas present request...

Guest Gladstone

What does the RC-20 do then? All the threads I read on bass forums etc. were just steering everyone to RC-50.

By what I read, it sounded as if the RC-20 was very limited.

Guest Gladstone

So yeah - just watched a couple of RC-2 videos and that does look very cool for the money. Can I plug my effects pedal into that? It isn't a Boss. Digitech BP80.

That's what I really want to do with the looping pedal - is play different effects effectively at the same time. I recorded a couple of tracks on our 8 track a while ago with various different effects, but that obviously can't translate into a live setting without a looping pedal.

Guest Gladstone

Cool - I'm on bass - all I have is my digitech FX pedal, so it would go bass > RC-2 > Amp.

So I could also use the RC-2 to play pre-recorded samples as well (via the AUX input)?

yes the mk 1 version of the rc-2 has a aux input for recording samples, you have 8 banks you can use to store samples, the mk 2 version has a usb connection and more space for loop times. you can set your sample to repeat over and over or you can set it to play once when ever you stomp it while still playing normally, i used to record harmonized lines and the stomp them in at the right moment. i also had a talking monologue from hellraiser over a quiet bit in a song, recorded it on to the rc-2 and used it live worked really well

Cool - I'm on bass - all I have is my digitech FX pedal, so it would go bass > RC-2 > Amp.

So I could also use the RC-2 to play pre-recorded samples as well (via the AUX input)?

You can. Just plug whatever device they are stored on (laptop/ipod etc) through the AUX input and press the pedal to record it. It's not as high quality as recording straight from your bass though, but it's not bad.

I used mine mostly to record loops of harsh noise, from mashed up beats, white noise, and stuff I'd mangled up in Mixcraft via the AUX input, or just layers of guitar harmonics and feedback. It was useful in DROSS.