aberdeen-music

Festival Set Lists...

delboy

was just reading some interesting comments about morrissey's set list at glastonbury, he did stuff mainly from his new album, three smiths songs (only one of which was a single shakespears sister), three solo songs from the back catalogue (everyday is like sunday plus a 1990 b side and album track from your arsenal) plus two unreleased songs. there seems a bit of mixed response from the moz elite, many complaining that the front part of the crowd who were obviously there for headliners Muse, simply didnt get it. the set is pretty much what Moz is playing on his current tour but there were enough die hards there to make the gig a success.

should the bigger, more established bands/artists churn out a greatest hits set at festivals? there's a decent arguement to suggest they should to please the crowd. on the other hand though, festivals are festivals and people should just get into the music. tim booth did a set of non james songs despite a proportion of the crowd yelling for james hits, however most of the crowd seemed to be really into his new stuff. i know its hard to draw the line but just wondered what everyone else thought on the matter.

actually until i saw booth and morrissey on the glasto TV coverage last weekend i was convinced bands should do 'greatest hits' sets at festivals but now i'm not so sure.

Guest Sundaram

No way, the artist should play what they want to play, the audience can choose to engage with the new music or just be ignorant greatest hits fans!

I prefer to hear new material by bands I like at gigs.

Del, do you have the actual setlist?

Ok saw the post above after i'd posted. But i disagree, I think they have to take into account that the majority of people are NOT there to see them directly, but may know their most famous songs.

Lets be honest you aren't going to piss of your own fans by playing a set of your greatest hits are you? So why not keep everyone happy.

These bands are payed to entertain, not keep themselves happy or make some kind of statement.

i think bands at festivals should feel free to play new material but should certainly chuck some favourties in there as well. a festivals not like a normal gig is it? if you go to a festival you expect to see the hits however i don't think solo artists should have to play material from a previous band even if it was the smiths. they should be allowed to move on.

This is something I've thought about, I saw Marillion at a festival a few years ago and was amazed that they just played their standard setlist, whereas I think it's up to the band but don't think the band are being very bright if they don't a few things the crowd know. I don't think Marillion did themselves any favours by playing a load of unfamiliar things and not playing any Fish era stuff. When Fish plays a festival he usually plays things like Kayleigh and Lavender, and I think people seem to enjoy it more, people like what they know and are more inclined to remember and enjoy a gig if there is something they can sing too.

I would personally say that I believe a greatest hits set should be played for the benefit tot the band reaching the masses, not walways neceassary and whereas I'm sure Morrissey played a great gig, I wonder if people would have been more inclined as a casual observer to remember it if they sang along to something like How Soon Is Now or This Charming Man...

Cheers

Stuart

Del' date=' do you have the actual setlist?

here it is!

Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice / Shakespeare's Sister / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Let Me Kiss You / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / The Headmaster Ritual / Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / First Of The Gang To Die / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / No One Can Hold A Candle To You / Subway Train (into) Everyday Is Like Sunday / Irish Blood, English Heart

make of it what you will!

i think bands at festivals should feel free to play new material but should certainly chuck some favourties in there as well. a festivals not like a normal gig is it? if you go to a festival you expect to see the hits however i don't think solo artists should have to play material from a previous band even if it was the smiths. they should be allowed to move on.

i think in morrissey's case he plays smiths songs because he wants to, most of the smiths stuff he does are album songs and b sides. he must do songs like 'such a little thing makes a big difference' (b side of 1989 smash hit interesting drug fact fans) simply because he loves the song. i think the problem at glasto was that the morrissey fans were further back, he didnt get a hard time from the muse fans at the front (hell i'm talking like i was there - i'm just going on what i've read on the net and seen on the TV!).