aberdeen-music

Tone

bryn

Guest The Tourist
Paul.... The guy from the Living End uses two Ibanez Tubescreamers. One with a higher gain level than the other

He must be an SRV fan then...

I've got a Tubescreamer you can hae a shotty of Paul, may even sell it if I can pick up a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in America.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guitar sounds are subjective and need to be considered in the context of the music (ie the rest of the band) and how they fit in to that sound

what might sound spectacular in isolation might sound shit when the rest of the band start playing

and the opposite is also true

:up:

I managed to spot this little gem of truth through the tears of laughter the rest of the thread produced.

well, betamax makes a post explaining how guitar sounds are different when played in isolation or in a band environment. ok fair enough, bears less relevance to the topic of the thread 'who's tone do you like' as opposed to 'making a good tone!' and you find this funny? I am missing something and regret writing this post as I'm sure its so blatantly obvious...

well' date=' betamax makes a post explaining how guitar sounds are different when played in isolation or in a band environment. ok fair enough, bears less relevance to the topic of the thread 'who's tone do you like' as opposed to 'making a good tone!' and you find this funny? I am missing something and regret writing this post as I'm sure its so blatantly obvious...[/quote']

The point is good or bad is a subjective term when applied to music and good or bad guitar tone is a prime example of this. I've lost count of the number of times I've thought " what the fuck am I supposed to do with this pish", only to find that the answer lies in the whole bands sound. Turn that round 180 and the same applies (i.e. "what a great guitar sound" only to find that it sticks out like a sore thumb and blends in as well as water does in oil).

There is no such thing as good or bad when it comes to guitar tone, suitable or unsuitable would be closer but still not right.

On second thoughts, it's not funny at all, it's very, very sad

'There is no such thing as good or bad when it comes to guitar tone, suitable or unsuitable would be closer but still not right'

ok, so your telling me that by me saying an album I can't listen to because the guitar sound is so unlistenable is bullshit because guitar tones cannot be good or bad? merely suitable or not.

Maybe I re-phrase, 'who's guitar tone do you like, in a band environment (which is obvious as rarely do you buy a cd with just a guitar playing, so no need to over-analyse) Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm speaking shit, but this is just the way it looks to me.

ok' date=' so your telling me that by me saying an album I can't listen to because the guitar sound is so unlistenable is bullshit because guitar tones cannot be good or bad? merely suitable or not.

Maybe I re-phrase, 'who's guitar tone do you like, in a [u']band environment (which is obvious as rarely do you buy a cd with just a guitar playing, so no need to over-analyse) Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm speaking shit, but this is just the way it looks to me.

Exactly that, the sound of the guitar is unsuitable for the tracks. It doesn't make it a bad guitar sound though, it could work well in other circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to take this oppertuniry to say that SCOOPING YOUR MIDS SOUNDS SHIT!

Sorry, it does, ...And Justice For All would be a far better album if you could make out the guitar in that fuzzy mess that hetfield calls a guitar tone.

How many bands have I seen in Aberdeen that go scooping out all their mids? All the bloody time!!! Guess what boys, guitar is a midrange instrument, thats right. If you get rid of the mids all you got left is the weak harmonics that dissapear when there are any other instruments involved. Bass end is the first to go being completely obliterated by the bassist leaving you with nothing but tinny tones that sound something like white noise with a boost at 4-8KHz. Soundian has a good point, you cant integrate some tones with the rest of the band, scoops are the worst to deal with, it ends up being EQ'd to fuck (you'd better believe it, you're highly prized EQ settings are being screwed with to get the instrument in its place in the mix, which lies in the midrange, sorry) at the desk so the audience can hear you without you being the loudest thing in the place.

Sorry for the rant, a lot of guitarists just dont realise that how it sounds in the bedroom doesn't work out live. What they also dont realise is that the human ear picks up mid frequencies louder at low volumes, but this levels out at higher volumes. Another reason they scoop is because their shitty practice amps have no bass or high end response, this is NOT TRUE for real amps you use live! PLEASE for the aural health of your audience STOP SCOOPING YOUR MIDS!!!

P.S. I agree with the comments about tim BENCH and Nuno Bettencourt.

Fact of the day - if you put your fingers in your ears while listening to BENCH you can actually hear the guitar!!!

meh.

I thought you said you'd never heard us but you're friend didn't like us or something? But I know what gig it was which you or you're friend would of been referring to. But Tim only uses one effects pedal now. Its a korg multi effects thing but he just uses it for delay, distortion and reverb and thats not all at the same time.

Haven't heard Bench, but one thing I've found is:

Multieffects - craptastic.

I have yet to hear anyone use a multieffect unit to get a good sound. Be it 505 or Boss GT-6. it always sounds shite, a big fizzy mess

It may be because people program all the sound from there, and don't have it set up to interact with the amp.

The only way to get a decent distortion sound is to use a pedal in conjunction with the amps distortion.

Even a RAT plugged into an entirely clean amp doesn't sound very good.

However, if you turn up the gain on the amp a bit so it overdrives, then push the front of it with a pedal, you'll get a nice sound. Even my MG10 sounds best this way, and my marshall stack definitely does.

Craig

Guest stuartmaxwell

i used to have that same korg toneworks effort, what a pile of tosh it was too, lovely delay etc

shite distortion, weedy as fuck

hughes and kettner warp factor is the way to go!i ve even figured out how to use it now!!

I've heard good things about the Vox Tonelab SE though. But then it's like a valvetronix in a floor board.

I've got really good sounds using a marshall guv'nor pedal with a marshall amp. The Big Muff pedal (although shockingly built) has a pretty immense sound.

Supposedly the Boss DS1 and SD1 pedals are really good for boosting amps.

There is a thing called a sparkle drive pedal as well. It's a tubescreamer withe a belnd control that blends some of the original signal in too.

Anyway, I shall be shot of my Marshall within the next week and will be getting an Engl head. Supposedly these things have a better distortion than the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectumfrier, but don't cost as much.

Weird thing is, in America, Mesas and Marshalls cost the same....

Craig

Weird thing is' date=' in America, Mesas and Marshalls cost the same....[/quote']

Probably because it costs Marshall to ship their amps to america, and it costs Mesa to ship their amps here. So here the expensive amps get more expensive and over there the cheap amps come up to the price of the expensive ones...

Multiffects are ASS!!!!!

and STOP SCOOPING YOUR MIDS!

Even the fucking dee jays in some of the nightclubs round here do it...

idiots!

Whats wrong with scooping mids. It's got to be done. Sure you don't need to turn it down to zero. But having a scooped shape to your EQ is one of the most important parts in having a good sound for playing heavy music with.

I am a fan of great valve tone though recently I witnessed how good solid state amps can sound at the Marshall Road Show. Hearing the MG series demo'd with a G&L was pretty awesom. I'm also quite impressed with some amps which only have a vlave in the input stage like the Laney Tube Fushion and to a lesser extent the Marshall AVT.

As for players - Pearl Jam now there's a band where both guitarists have amazing tone! A selection of valve amps, a few well chosen effects and a bunch of brilliant guitars.

Two points from this thread.....

I hate the sound of boogie amps.....

I love a good valve tone....but....I have learned from working with Niall Mathewson (Mill recording studio and Pallas) that digital works just fine....he plays Squire strats through a vg8 live and in the studio and gets a killer tone....that is of course pure digital....the pickups and guitar wiring are by-passed 100%. The signal is fed through a marshall tranny power amp to a stereo cab and sounds fuckin HUGE