aberdeen-music

Decipher Tunnels Gig 06/08/09

Mirth

Decipher played to a disappointingly small audience in the Tunnels last night. Not too bad for a week night though. However, the gig was nothing short of awesome and the bands banter went down well with the crowd.

They were opening for Eleven Eleven (11,11?) but unfortunately I can't comment on that as I had to leave - curse of the dreaded 9-5!

Anyhoo, check them out on myspace! 'Confronted' is my favourite song so far but they're all good in my opinion! :up:

The guys have also been chosen amongst 400 other bands to be uploaded on their website - see below link. Basically, of that 400, vote for your favourite, then Kerrang! choose the top 4 to be mentored. Have a listen and see what ya think!

To quote Kerrang!;

"Four Kerrang! BlackXS Live Sound finalists will be chosen from all the entries uploaded onto the site by our panel of prestigious industry judges and will embark on a brilliant mentorship fit for a rock star, providing them with all the tips and advice they need to put on a electrifying performance at the live final the Black XS Live Sound Battle of the Bands in London in November 2009."

DECIPHER on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Black XS UK Live Sound : Rock bands competition for new music talents

That's some pretty good advertising for Paco Rabanne right there! And i might be wrong but looking at that website, anyone can upload songs, I don't know were you got the 'chosen to be uploaded bit from'. Ahhh Kerrang supporting the independent music scene as always...or losing money and desperately seeking a new avenue to generate money through advertising products under the guise of a 'battle of the bands'. Another 'get your mates to vote' and you might just win some'MONEY CAN'T BUY' prizes!

* A deal with Search And Destroy records (home of Fightstar and In Case Of Fire).

-which, will inevitably include various clauses tying your music to them for life and giving you an advance that you will never be able to afford to pay off, unless you sell enough records (but the amount of records needed will be way above the amount a band going through this route will be able to sell)

* A magazine feature by Kerrang! editorial

-usually a small interview with the band and a BIG advert for the company fronting the cash. In this case Paco Rabanne.

* An Epiphone guitar from Gibson

-Emmm i think money can buy you this, a sponsorship with gibson would be good. But one guitar?!

BUT WAIT...there's more...dun dun dun:

During this mentorship, the bands will attend celebrity master classes conducted by some of K!s biggest names and friends in the music world, offering advice on topics as varied as how to handle the press and how to shred your guitar like a true rock star, plus the chance to be styled by a professional band stylist!

WOW!

Guys i think your music is pretty good. Although sometimes too much like The Offspring, i think one of your songs actually is the riff from an offspring song. But things like this inevitably end up backfiring. One simple rule i like to follow is, until you have something real to shout about people will just take the piss.

Thousand apologies for that, friend of mine knows the band and he told me about the Kerrang! UK music thing, info not 100%.

Doubt the band will get your comments, don't think they come on here much now after the backlash of criticism they got a while back.

I think the fact they're getting gigs UK wide and NOT JUST IN ABERDEEN is something to shout about especially considering the three of them have only been playing together since April.

Good luck to you guys!

I think the fact they're getting gigs UK wide and NOT JUST IN ABERDEEN is something to shout about especially considering the three of them have only been playing together since April.

its hardly uk wide gigs, peterhead, edinburgh and newcastle.

and ousy lived in newastle for two years recently so he sould be able to get them some gigs in that area

don't think they come on here much now after the backlash of criticism they got a while back

and this backlash of criticism was entirly their own fault

fits rang we perth,

is that ment to be a dig at E2V's current only out of aberdeen date being perth?

sure go for it, but its not out only out of aberdeen show for the rest of the year. and just because a band gets out of town gigs does make them good. theres plenty bands in aberdeen miles better than dicipher who have never played a gig out of aberdeen.

the amount of gigs you play isnt proportional to how good you are and it never has been, id much rather not play a show for months and then have 3 or 4 great gigs than play a wednesday night every week with the same bands and too the same friends

• Upvote 1

fits rang we perth,

is that ment to be a dig at E2V's current only out of aberdeen date being perth?

sure go for it, but its not out only out of aberdeen show for the rest of the year. and just because a band gets out of town gigs does make them good. theres plenty bands in aberdeen miles better than dicipher who have never played a gig out of aberdeen.

the amount of gigs you play isnt proportional to how good you are and it never has been, id much rather not play a show for months and then have 3 or 4 great gigs than play a wednesday night every week with the same bands and too the same friends

Gads, i just gave you + rep by mistake.

Clearly your bandmate does though. I really don't understand the lack of support for people on here. Geez, I went to a decent gig last night and wrote about it on here. And then in typical aberdeen-music style all you get is bitching and fighting and some loser giving you bad rep points - no doubt that is coming my way again!

"Guys i think your music is pretty good. Although sometimes too much like The Offspring, i think one of your songs actually is the riff from an offspring song. But things like this inevitably end up backfiring. One simple rule i like to follow is, until you have something real to shout about people will just take the piss."

Christ, I think Decipher are a really good band. The link I posted for Kerrang, hell you can vote for any fricking band you like, I don't care. And if you're in a band then I hope I've posted a link you might want to upload one of your bands songs on!

And I think you're totally wrong about better bands never getting out of Aberdeen. If you're all that good there's no way you'd be stuck playing here. Even if your band is shit, then good on you playing elsewhere cos you might get more encouragement and support there.

What's the point of having contacts in other cities if you don't use them?! Good on Ousy and the guys for heading down there and spreading the word about their band. I mean, you're hardly gonna get famous if you keep playing in Aberdeen your whole life.

The point i was raising was that these 'battle of the bands' style competitions are never all they're cracked up to be. Good on you for reviewing a show, but the main point of your post seems to drag the attention onto this competition, which, in my opinion is just a money spinner for the company fronting the cash.

You posted this on the feedback forum, that was my feedback. Given that your not even in the band do you really think they would appreciate you insulting or provoking other people in other bands on their behalf?

And i wasn't insulting the band, in fact you quoted me saying i quite liked their songs.

I don't really know what the point of your post was other than writing a pretty poorly constructed review of the bands gig. You might as well have come on her and posted a thread saying 'i like decipher you should check them out', and people might.

E2V's dudes how you doing? Anyhow's sure you know me, least paul will!! I'd just like to say many bands better than decipher??? Really who are they?? I mean music, like anything is about taste, some people like this or that fact is I like to have fun at a gig and my buddies in decipher play a good gig in a style of music I love cause erm done in there and my style"!

When you guys playing locally again, missed you last time as left early? Did I miss a good gig?

Anyhows, yeah these battle of the bands thing is just a money spinner, they guys un decipher are having heaps of fun and people that see them usually have a good time!! I even think Paul was having fun last time, I seen a smile....don't deny it!!

Also hopee you guys play with them again soon we'll have a drink and a laugh and a good time!!

• Upvote 1

Hey man. This scene is too small for people to bitch at each other. I don't think paul meant that there are better bands in a way to insult you. I think he was just riled that this guy had a go at us for not having as many out of town gigs.

But anyway, really enjoyed your last set. Was just commenting on the Kerrang comp, which i think is a waste of time as, like most of these, ends up in a battle of who has the most mates to vote for them.

Think the guy who created the thread thought i was having a go at you personally, which i wasn't

I think the key is, no matter how bad you are, if you shout 'san-demus high school football rules' then you win.

Also befriend a naked indian dude and all will fall into place.

Lucky me, I do both on a regular basis. Who wants to be in my triumphant band? We'll rock so hard, the record company probably won't even want to fuck us over after we win :love:

E2V's dudes how you doing? Anyhow's sure you know me, least paul will!! I'd just like to say many bands better than decipher??? Really who are they?? I mean music, like anything is about taste, some people like this or that fact is I like to have fun at a gig and my buddies in decipher play a good gig in a style of music I love cause erm done in there and my style"!

When you guys playing locally again, missed you last time as left early? Did I miss a good gig?

Anyhows, yeah these battle of the bands thing is just a money spinner, they guys un decipher are having heaps of fun and people that see them usually have a good time!! I even think Paul was having fun last time, I seen a smile....don't deny it!!

Also hopee you guys play with them again soon we'll have a drink and a laugh and a good time!!

Go learn what a PM Is buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

They're okay, wouldn't say anything special if you know what i mean. sound very much like offspring styled bands as the original post said.

Lyrically not so good, technically not so good, but they're fun, and teenage kids would love them, hence why kerrang is "supporting" them. anyone agree?

I'm not trying to cause an argument of any kind, although as the original poster also said, the aberdeen-music folk do like to start shit off for no reason.

Teenagers don't like The Offspring anymore. They're into crunk-metal with an evangelical twist.

True enough. Crunk. Haha, didn't even know that shite existed until a few months ago. What has the music world turned into?

I've near enough given up on all music of these days. Don't get me wrong, there's a fair share of good bands out there, but most bands sound exactly the same as one another and it's pretty damn depressing.

I mostly listen to 60's, 70's and 80's stuff really these days.

Any of you guys given up recently? haha

True enough. Crunk. Haha, didn't even know that shite existed until a few months ago. What has the music world turned into?

I've near enough given up on all music of these days. Don't get me wrong, there's a fair share of good bands out there, but most bands sound exactly the same as one another and it's pretty damn depressing.

I mostly listen to 60's, 70's and 80's stuff really these days.

Any of you guys given up recently? haha

I think my brain just gave up.