aberdeen-music

any good with circuit design?

Guest lime ruined my life

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23007

its a schematic for a distortion pedal, theres a link to it, and a few questions iv posted.

the schematics a bit rubbsih really, but iv worked out most of it. just that quad analouge switch and those wires that apear to connect to nothing (are those triangles earth connections?)

p.s what size transformer will i need for that power supply. (in uk obviously)

and is that a resistor in the top right hand corner? if it is then he's used two different conventions for resistors and he hasnt given us the rating of it. gah!

Guest Stripey

If you look at where the transformer is feeding into the circuit, you will notice that the negative terminal goes out thru a capacitor and terminates in a "little triangle". Those little triangles mean a connection to the negative rail. *i think*...thats what it looks like to me anyway...and yeah its a shit diagram.

you could be right, it apears all the op amps are connected to vs and "little triangles"

will i still have to connect up the power supply to the op amps? it doesnt seem to have that on the diagram, unless the powers going through the inverting and non inverting inputs.....

any idea what size transformer to use?

anyone reckon they know where the input and output is? i think its the little switchy bits on the far right and far left, but who knows.

i started reading this and was wandering where i had heard this before... :D

(i saw it earlier looking at the diystompbox forum)

the little triangles refer to ground, all these are connected together (including the ground connections on the jacks) and are connected to the negative tag on the power supply

all the little chevron style marks are refering to off board wiring, ie the chevron represents a piece of wire, and the component will be external to the board (a pot or jack for example) so the component should have a chevron between it and all its points of contact with the rest of the circuit

i ament completely sure, but the transformer part look slike its taking a normal voltage from a plug, and converting it to the supply the pedal needs (as opposed to using an external transformer, and just giving the pedal 9v)

it may be possible to miss this out if you are going to use an external transformer or batterys

i would check that out first, as i am not completely sure, it might be an idea to try and find someone that already has the MXR distortion II to see what adapters it needs

if this part can be removed, you will still need to include the end part, ie, the op amp and the network kof resisters attaching it to the =15 line, as this is used to change the voltage down for some parts of the circuit

im not aure how similar they sound, but it may be an idea to try and find the schematic for the MXR Diist+ or somehting like that, they might be simpler, and the dist+ is a more common pedal so there are likely to be better schematics out there (and less buggering about with power supplys)

David

the distortion+ is really piss easy actually, as a matter of fact. by the looks of the circuits id say they wont sound the same at all. although i worked out most of this circuit so far, im considering leaving out the logic switching if i can.

im considering getting an ac adapter from maplin and modding it, much easier than making my own power supply. any more help regarding this would be apreciated though.