aberdeen-music

What was the first punk record?

geo1903

Guest Tam o' Shantie

These days I think the first 'punk rock' album would have to be The Stooges (1969) - definitely nothing that any British band ever released, anyway.

When you get into talking about stuff like the Monks, where do you draw the line? Yes there was garage rock, fuzz rock, psych, avant-garde stuff in the 60s...punk in attitude perhaps but was it 'punk rock'? Can you really say that this is the same stuff that 70s punk evolved from? What about atonalism? Schnberg's music was called 'degenerate art' by critics

schoenberg.jpg

is this dude a punk rocker?

For my advanced higher music essay, I actually wrote an essay that claimed that those atonal dudes were the first musical punks...makes me lol thinking back.

Let's not start this discussion again...and close this thread!

These days I think the first 'punk rock' album would have to be The Stooges (1969) - definitely nothing that any British band ever released, anyway.

When you get into talking about stuff like the Monks, where do you draw the line? Yes there was garage rock, fuzz rock, psych, avant-garde stuff in the 60s...punk in attitude perhaps but was it 'punk rock'? Can you really say that this is the same stuff that 70s punk evolved from? What about atonalism? Schnberg's music was called 'degenerate art' by critics

schoenberg.jpg

is this dude a punk rocker?

For my advanced higher music essay, I actually wrote an essay that claimed that those atonal dudes were the first musical punks...makes me lol thinking back.

Let's not start this discussion again...and close this thread!

He actually looks like an old Howard Devoto....and you are correct there is no defined definitive first 'punk' record, hence my earlier query to define punk. Because if it's the traditional definition of mid-70's ripped clothes, questionable musical ability etc, then the first British punk record was indeed 'New Rose'. American was 'The Ramones' I think.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
He actually looks like an old Howard Devoto....and you are correct there is no defined definitive first 'punk' record, hence my earlier query to define punk. Because if it's the traditional definition of mid-70's ripped clothes, questionable musical ability etc, then the first British punk record was indeed 'New Rose'. American was 'The Ramones' I think.

In terms of straightforward NYC punk Patti Smith & The Dictators were both releasing albums by '74-'75, The Ramones S/T didn't come out until 1976.

But who cares, cos The Stooges and Funhouse were both on the shelves before the end of 1970.

Whilst Woody Guthrie didn't encapture the style of what we know as punk, he really carried out his music with the ethic of punk rock more notably than anyone at the time, and still more than alot have today. If Billy Bragg's early incarnations can be considered punk, then surely Woody Guthrie can too.

Whilst Woody Guthrie didn't encapture the style of what we know as punk, he really carried out his music with the ethic of punk rock more notably than anyone at the time, and still more than alot have today. If Billy Bragg's early incarnations can be considered punk, then surely Woody Guthrie can too.

The age old problem with punk; most people take the 3 chords and attitude far too literally and forget that punk rock is really about a freedom of expression and a non careerist ethic towards music.