aberdeen-music

Scotland's World Cup Qualifying Campaign

Shaki

Im just looking at the qualifying tables... are Scotland not out already?

Its only the EIGHT best runners up that go to play offs, and we are in the weakest position with the worst goal difference by far. I think we would have to beat Holland about 7-0 to make it through. Am I missing something?

Its only the EIGHT best runners up that go to play offs, and we are in the weakest position with the worst goal difference by far. I think we would have to beat Holland about 7-0 to make it through. Am I missing something?

Because we're in a group with less teams, to decide who goes through to the playoff, each other team that finishes second has the points/goals that they gained against the team who places last in their respective groups removed. I think.

Someone else may be able to explain that better.

I think it is taken into account that we are in a five team group instead of the other groups having teams. Not overly sure how it is worked out mind you and the fact is we still have to beat the Dutch!

Because we're in a group with less teams, to decide who goes through to the playoff, each other team that finishes second has the points/goals that they gained against the team who places last in their respective groups removed. I think.

Someone else may be able to explain that better.

Is correct.

Even if we somehow win on Wednesday, things still depend on how the remaining games go in the other groups. Hungary are in the weakest position so far but may have 2-3 games left to play.

Hoping that Hungary or Northern Ireland have a shocker...

2010 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoping that Hungary or Northern Ireland have a shocker...

2010 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hungary don't have it easy, especially given Portugal's precarious position;

Hungary v Portugal

Portugal v Hungary

Denmark v Hungary

Northern Ireland;

NI v Slovakia

Czech Republic v NI

Bosnia & Herzegovina;

B&H v Turkey

Estonia v B&H

B&H v Spain

First things first we must secure second position in our own group then play the waiting game...

Ah, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

McFadden's goal was awesome. Everyone's moaning about his booking and saying it was a case of mistaken identity, but if that's the case then presumably the ref meant to book Scott Brown, meaning we would have played the second half with 10 men. So folk should probably shut the fuck up about it.

Missing Faddy is a huge blow. When he's on his game he's unstoppable. But hopefully we can still get a result without him. I have an impending feeling of dread. Remember 2 years ago? "All we have to do is beat Italy at home and we're through....". A 2-1 defeat and one very dodgy ref decision later, and the pub is full of crying Scotland fans.

Still, that's just because I'm a natural pessimist. 'Mon The Scotland!

Missing Faddy is a huge blow. When he's on his game he's unstoppable. But hopefully we can still get a result without him. I have an impending feeling of dread. Remember 2 years ago? "All we have to do is beat Italy at home and we're through....". A 2-1 defeat and one very dodgy ref decision later, and the pub is full of crying Scotland fans.

Still, that's just because I'm a natural pessimist. 'Mon The Scotland!

Aye, seems Holland will be out to get a "100%" qualification record.

Still, we might be able to qualify with a draw or even a loss if Macedonia take something from Norway.

Aye, seems Holland will be out to get a "100%" qualification record.

Still, we might be able to qualify with a draw or even a loss if Macedonia take something from Norway.

Remember 2 years ago? "We might still qualify with a draw or a loss, provided Ukraine take something from France". :laughing:

Sorry I'm only messing about. My pessimism is in jest, I'm as much behind the team as everyone else. :rolleyes:

Aye, plenty of ifs.

So how would people approach the game? I would go 4-5-1 for this one, with Miller being the 1. Would be daft to go gung-ho.

It's a tough one to call, because while we need the 3 points, if we go all out there's a good chance we could get a hiding. I only saw the highlights of Saturday's game but Miller didn't appear to do much. Brown looked really fired up on Saturday, if he's fit he needs to play from the start.

Aye, plenty of ifs.

So how would people approach the game? I would go 4-5-1 for this one, with Miller being the 1. Would be daft to go gung-ho.

Pretty sure that is what Burley will go for. Maloney in for Faddy but reckon it will be more defensive with a 4-5-1 than a 4-3-3, Steven Fletcher could make way as well if he goes with that formation.

Wasn't too convinced by Alexander against Macedonia but think he'll play and could be an important player as the defence will need a bit more protection.

I'd definitely go for a 4-5-1 - we'll get torn to shreds if we go 4-3-3 against Holland. That kind of attacking formation would be fine if we had the defensive stability to cope with Holland's attacking players, but we don't. We'd get over-run.

Missing McFadden is a big blow. He's a strange player; kinda reminds me of David Healy in that he's very good for his country but hasn't been able to turn it on for his club in quite sime time. I'd bring in Maloney in his place; pull him closer towards the midfield and have him cutting inside from the wing. I'm not sure which of our strikers is best suited to playing up top on his own (Fletcher, maybe?), but I've no doubt we'll end up with Miller.

It's a tough one to call, because while we need the 3 points, if we go all out there's a good chance we could get a hiding. I only saw the highlights of Saturday's game but Miller didn't appear to do much. Brown looked really fired up on Saturday, if he's fit he needs to play from the start.

I thought Miller did well in the second half, along with (S) Fletcher and McFadden.

What has Graham Alexander got on Burley?

I'm not sure which of our strikers is best suited to playing up top on his own (Fletcher, maybe?), but I've no doubt we'll end up with Miller.

You can say what you like about Miller, but the fact is that he's been very effective in that one up front role for Scotland for a number of years now. I'd rather go for that experience than take a gamble on Fletcher. To be honest I don't know enough about Fletcher, I know he's a big guy but that doesn't necessarily mean he can operate effectivley as a lone striker.