aberdeen-music

Good places for lunch..

Ghostwriter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cafe 52 is pretty good as mentioned above.

I was in Soul for food recently and thought that was actually quite good. Hadn't eaten in their before and hadn't heard that the food was anything special but may be worth checking out. Mind you, it may be shite and I just got lucky.

I was in Soul for food recently and thought that was actually quite good. Hadn't eaten in their before and hadn't heard that the food was anything special but may be worth checking out. Mind you, it may be shite and I just got lucky.

Soul's nae bad actually. Their express lunch is pretty good value for money and the atmosphere in there during the day is usually pretty decent.

I was in Soul for lunch a few weeks ago.. and I can't say I was overly impressed. My friend ordered a duck wrap and there was a massive bone in it. That aside, I thought it was average at best.

I'd heard recently that Five was pretty good.

Where about on Union Street is The Howff?

I was in Soul for lunch a few weeks ago.. and I can't say I was overly impressed. My friend ordered a duck wrap and there was a massive bone in it. That aside, I thought it was average at best.

I'd heard recently that Five was pretty good.

Where about on Union Street is The Howff?

It's underneath Bruce Millers.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

8 replies and no mention of Carmines on Union Terrace?

Something ridiculous like 4.50 gets you a 2 course meal and coffee.

The first course is inevitably Ministrone soup, which is better than any other that I have ever tasted.

The pizza/pasta portions on offer as mains are huge, simple and delicious. Probably the most authentic/traditional 'italian' menu in the city. Don't forget to splash out on some garlic bread too though :)

The first course is inevitably Ministrone soup, which is better than any other that I have ever tasted.

The pizza/pasta portions on offer as mains are huge, simple and delicious. Probably the most authentic/traditional 'italian' menu in the city. Don't forget to splash out on some garlic bread too though :)

2nded,

damn nice cappuccino to boot...

We liked it...

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not great. It's just another chain pub that serves the same burgers, battered haddock and chilli as everywhere else. None of it's bad, it's decently priced for what it serves as well I think, but great would something a lot better than average - which Illicit Still isn't.

I was in Soul the other week, the chicken noodles were great. Huge portion as well. That and a bargain bucket of Corona = good lunch.

Haven't been in a while but I used to like Chi at The Academy, Pad Thai was amazing.

For more traditional fare I also say The Howff is good value.

For any pop out to grab lunch workers, I'm liking the made to order sandwiches at Bruce Millers the now, great value, decent sized buns/doorstop bread and generous filling. Just had an amazing prawn salad wholemeal bun. :up:

Has anyone been in the Foundry recently? I've heard from a couple of people that their food is really cheap and really good. Call me a pessimist but I've never gone in for food before because, although I'm sure their food is cheap, I'm not sure that there would be much else good to say about it?

Has anyone been in the Foundry recently? I've heard from a couple of people that their food is really cheap and really good. Call me a pessimist but I've never gone in for food before because, although I'm sure their food is cheap, I'm not sure that there would be much else good to say about it?

I ate there yonks ago and it was standard chain pub fayre. Burgers, etc. I wish pubs without proper kitchens or an actual desire to provide good food rather than a generic 'pub menu' would just not bother.

Went into Korova the other week when I was home and it was outstanding. Small portions but for the price, you're getting great quality pub food done with a bit of pride.

It's the same dirt cheap pub menu as Wild Boar, Holburn Bar etc. Worth eating if you already happen to be there already and you're hungry, don't go out of your way to do it though.

Carminies is fucking awesome, their pizza's / pastas are to die for, usually have your food infront of you in well under 5 minutes.. and i hear for the meat lovers the lasagne is fucking amazing :up::up:

Off the top of my heed.

Good:

Five, Cafe 52, Musa, Beautiful Mountain, Moon Fish, Carminies

(also all independantly owned which is a bonus...support the locals n all that)

Avoid:

Hogs Head, Ma Camerons, Holburn, Foundry, Archie Simpons, Justice Mill

...all chain bar cheap crap food.

-