aberdeen-music

Alien prequel

MattJimF

He has mentioned in the past that he would like to do a prequel, but I think the whole Alien 3/Resurrection/Alien vs Predator sequels and their quality somewhat put him off it a bit.

I rate Alien 3, it's no Aliens but it's still decent, unlike the abomination that is Alien 4.

I think Ridley Scott should be a safe pair of hands though. Equally exciting is the Robert Rodriguez-produced 'Predators'

I like all the Alien Quadrilogy, each has it's merits. The first 2 are obviously classics with the other 2 both being flawed but watchable.

The less said about the Aliens vs Predator movies however the better.

I'm undecided about the merits of an Alien prequel, I've always kind of liked the mysteriousness of how the Alien eggs got to the planet in regards to the film but I read all the comic books which opened up various threads anyway.

If they are going to do it I would rather Ridley Scott tackled it than some unknown, he will at least try and give it some merit.

This prequel has been in the works for a while now. I quite like the fact that they're going to be focussing on the Space Jockey and going back to the start.

My trepidation with making another Alien film is how do you make them scary again? The AvP movies have turned a really iconic cinematic monster into a cartoon parody of itself.

I'm sure Ridley Scott will do a good job, of that I have no doubt, however I'm not sure how he will give the creature new life.

This prequel has been in the works for a while now. I quite like the fact that they're going to be focussing on the Space Jockey and going back to the start.

My trepidation with making another Alien film is how do you make them scary again? The AvP movies have turned a really iconic cinematic monster into a cartoon parody of itself.

I'm sure Ridley Scott will do a good job, of that I have no doubt, however I'm not sure how he will give the creature new life.

Surely the creature will be completely different, since they'll be hatched from non-human hosts?

I don't know. I have more faith since Scott is doing it, but....meh.

And there's fuck all wrong with Alien 3, apart from maybe some dodgy CGI.

Surely the creature will be completely different, since they'll be hatched from non-human hosts?

I don't know. I have more faith since Scott is doing it, but....meh.

And there's fuck all wrong with Alien 3, apart from maybe some dodgy CGI.

True, the alien might be hybrid of the Space Jockey... as when they're investigating him they mention his chest is broken outwards.

Yeah I agree, Alien 3 is a good film. The Directors Cut is what I consider to be the true version film though. It adds so much more to the story and changes things around a little so they make more sense.

Hopefully this will be a dead cert. I was one of the people that got pretty excited about AVP and felt let down.

Didn't like resurrection but I thought Alien 3 was ok. Aliens has to be the best one of the lot in my opinion. I remember when I was young my brother got out the first 2 on vid, I got to stay up late and watch but ended up with nightmares for weeks. I swear I couldn't sleep with the lights out at all (I was about 7 tho)

I heard that Aliens was being made into a PS game called Colonial Marines, I saw the screenshots and they looked the biz but the rumours now are that the game was canned. Anyone heard anymore about that??

Hopefully this will be a dead cert. I was one of the people that got pretty excited about AVP and felt let down.

Didn't like resurrection but I thought Alien 3 was ok. Aliens has to be the best one of the lot in my opinion. I remember when I was young my brother got out the first 2 on vid, I got to stay up late and watch but ended up with nightmares for weeks. I swear I couldn't sleep with the lights out at all (I was about 7 tho)

I heard that Aliens was being made into a PS game called Colonial Marines, I saw the screenshots and they looked the biz but the rumours now are that the game was canned. Anyone heard anymore about that??

Not sure about the Colonial Marines game, haven't heard much about that. I know they're making an AvP3 game though (I'm sure there was a thread on this site about it a couple of months back)

When my uncle used to babysit me he used to put on the Alien and Predator movies, no wonder I turned into a morbid little shit.

Hmm a prequel, if done well then it sounds good :)

The AvP movies were good fun, they were never going to be as good as the first two Alien films

I quite liked Alien 3 but it didn't really add anything to Alien and they killed off Hicks and Newt just because they had no relevance to the plot. Aliens was like a gung-ho 'Nam in space war movie, totally different to Alien and brilliant in its own right. I thought the natural progression of the franchise would be one of the fuckers making it to Earth, turning it into a global disaster movie. That could have been cool. Resurrection was a massive pile of shit.

Don't. Micheal Bay might hear you and ruin any credibility the franchise has left.

any opportunity to post this

I'm not excited by any prequel/sequel ever. The Godfather 2 killed hollywood IMO. As good as it was, its success led to universal lazy film making and sub clause, 'the return of..' titles.

Not really though....

Do expand.

The way I see it, all the progress made by the film school generation (scorsese, hal ashby, cassavetes, early coppola, Freidkin, etc) in bringing modernist, European influences into the outdated Hollywood studio system was undone by the invention of the film franchise and the subsequent Event Movie/Blockbuster of the 80s. Star Wars was one culprit and The Godfather was another (themselves works of art but their influence not so). As a result, the most talented auteur directors nowadays are forced into submission by the studios to pump out comic book adaptations and franchise sequels. Comedy and animation aside, there is virtually nothing truly original coming out of Hollywood. Miramax may have pushed independent films into the mainstream in the 90s but after two or three anti-hero, arty films the Weinstein groomed directors (with the odd exception) have invariably went on to produce pap for the big studios.

Also, Im not making any judgement on anyone who enjoys big budget franchise films like Spiderman, Batman, etc. I would just prefer it if Hollywood's output was as varied as it was in the early seventies so that films like that would have equal billing with films like Taxi driver, the Conversation, etc.

• Upvote 1

Do expand.

The way I see it, all the progress made by the film school generation (scorsese, hal ashby, cassavetes, early coppola, Freidkin, etc) in bringing modernist, European influences into the outdated Hollywood studio system was undone by the invention of the film franchise and the subsequent Event Movie/Blockbuster of the 80s. Star Wars was one culprit and The Godfather was another (themselves works of art but their influence not so). As a result, the most talented auteur directors nowadays are forced into submission by the studios to pump out comic book adaptations and franchise sequels. Comedy and animation aside, there is virtually nothing truly original coming out of Hollywood. Miramax may have pushed independent films into the mainstream in the 90s but after two or three anti-hero, arty films the Weinstein groomed directors (with the odd exception) have invariably went on to produce pap for the big studios.

I just don't think Godfather 2 spawned the lazy sequel as wasn't just a rehash, it is a quality piece of film in it's own right. And I don't really see the original Godfather as being a blockbuster in the traditional sense.

If you look at the big franchise sequels such as the original Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones they were all pretty good quality in comparison to your standard sequel dreck. Open to debate on relative merits, sure, but certainly not bad films. Although it's quite obvious George Lucas was eyeing up the toy franchises by the time of Return of the Jedi.

One piece of sequel quality judgement I tend to use is whether the sequel to a popular film has been made by the same director as the original. In most instances where this is not the case the sequel is of less worth. There are some exceptions of course - Blade 2 springs to mind but they got a quality director in Guillermo del Toro onboard so understandable. I still think The Lost World was a decent Jurassic Park sequel. Terminator 2 was great.

I actually think Jaws 2 may be the key inferior sequelJaws is traditionally seen as the first 'summer blockbuster', it was a huge success and so they tried to replicate that. Without Spielberg. Not really that good.

I see nothing wrong with continuing a story with characters you enjoy watching. I really quite enjoy sequels.

What I don't enjoy is studio's flogging a franchise to death turning the thing you originally loved into something that you feel ashamed to be watching e.g. see any horror franchise featuring more than 3 films from the 80's onwards.

I just don't think Godfather 2 spawned the lazy sequel as wasn't just a rehash, it is a quality piece of film in it's own right. And I don't really see the original Godfather as being a blockbuster in the traditional sense.

If you look at the big franchise sequels such as the original Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones they were all pretty good quality in comparison to your standard sequel dreck. Open to debate on relative merits, sure, but certainly not bad films. Although it's quite obvious George Lucas was eyeing up the toy franchises by the time of Return of the Jedi.

One piece of sequel quality judgement I tend to use is whether the sequel to a popular film has been made by the same director as the original. In most instances where this is not the case the sequel is of less worth. There are some exceptions of course - Blade 2 springs to mind but they got a quality director in Guillermo del Toro onboard so understandable. I still think The Lost World was a decent Jurassic Park sequel. Terminator 2 was great.

I actually think Jaws 2 may be the key inferior sequelJaws is traditionally seen as the first 'summer blockbuster', it was a huge success and so they tried to replicate that. Without Spielberg. Not really that good.

Don't get me wrong, Godfather 2 is a brilliant film and there are a tonne of sequels that are great, some even better than their original. (terminator 2). However, It's success, and the fact that no artistic merit was lost from the first one, led to the studios to start making films with prior intent of creating further sequels,therefore diluting the interest of the first, and also making second instalments of previous films that didn't need a sequel (was French connection 2 really necessary?) in the hope that the same people who saw the first would pay to see the second. That to me is lazy and playing it safe. As you mentioned, Jaws was the first summer blockbuster and Star wars was the first merchandising phenomenon. Add these three elements together, multiply by ten and you've got the film industry of today.

Sorry, I don't moan about much but when I go to the cinema on a friday night and see five screens dedicated to the sixth Harry Potter film, and two screens for the third Ice Age film, leaving one graveyard showing of Public Enemies, an original film, it bugs me.