aberdeen-music

Shaving

Le Stu

It's an old fashioned type shaving brush which has an accompanying soap which comes in a round container like Nivea cream. I'm still working out the best way to use it but basically you wet the brush, swirl it around in the soap and then vigorously brush your face with it. It seems a little rougher than using an aerosol lather but I've not really got the hang of it yet. I just hate the wastage of aerosol and wanted to try something else.

My personal tips are to shave directly after showering, as a hot shower will soften your stubble, and to always use a high quality triple blade razor, my personal choice being the Gillette M3 power, but the standard Mach 3 is also great. I never shave against the grain of my stubble though I might cut sideways on my cheeks for a closer shave. I'm never totally smooth but I don't get much irritation either. I moisturise immediately after shaving and never use aftershave.

The brush should be used in a circular motion to apply the soap, the idea is that it lifts the hairs and leads to a smoother shave. You need some sort of heat applied before shaving; a shower works best for me, hot water from the sink doesn't too enough and leads to a sair shave. A wet towel in the microwave wrapped onto face beforehand also works but you need to be careful for obvious reasons....

I used to use a brush but didn't find it improved my irritation issues at all. I've tried all the various King of Shaves oils and other gubbins that mags like FHM used to big up but to no avail....so I just gave up and decided upon my own haphazard shaving regime.

One thing I did find though was that starting to use a Mach 3 led to more ingrowing hair problems, I tried going back to a 2 blade razor but couldn't get a decent shave. As for the 4 blade Wilkinson Sword ones, tried once but found it just clogged too much.

A mate started a rumour he stuck his nob in my mouth whilst i was sleeping on his sofa on Saturday night, a blatant lie as everyone knows he bailed and was out for the count, but anyone who wasn't there, does not know that. So my point is, you can have your manliness back.

With this and the eyebrow issue are you sure you shouldn't maybe find new mates?

Guest Gladstone
A mate started a rumour he stuck his nob in my mouth whilst i was sleeping on his sofa on Saturday night, a blatant lie as everyone knows he bailed and was out for the count, but anyone who wasn't there, does not know that. So my point is, you can have your manliness back.

Is there something you'd like to confess?

On the shaving front - for sensitive skin, I found that using the pre-shave facial scrub (by King of Shaves) followed by Nivea Sensitive Skin shaving gel (big white aerosol), followed by a nivea moisturising facial wash, then by nivea sensitive skin balm did the trick for me. Didn't eradicate irritation completely, but especially if I shaved everyday, reduced it a lot.

It's far easier to just grow a beard though.

Guest Gladstone
Hmmm ginger beard though... Unless it's as good as the guy from the "Fa's ma mince" youtube thing it's no dice. :D

My ginger beard is awesome.

It's a fact that ginger men suit beards.

It may be hard to believe, but I look even more stupid without the beard... ;)

(It also makes me look really really Scottish. A couple of chinese guys got me to pose with them for a photo at my graduation just because I was the epitome of Scotsman, with my full kilt outfit, ginger hair, and ginger beard. If I'd been hammered with a can of Tennents in my hand, the image would have been complete)

Lucky Rathen said ""You know there ain't no devil, that's just Screamin' Jay when he's drunk..."

I like your Screamin' Jay quote!

Jay never used a razor of any kind. He always shaved with Magic Shave and even made a TV commercial praising the product.

These American shaving products are now on sale in the UK at the following link

Online shopping for black hair care and black skin care products. Roots & Sculpture.

Guest Gladstone
I however am not ginger, so my ginger beard looks a bit stupid. Otherwise I would probably let it grow more often.

Ha - an affliction that many a brown-haired Scotsman suffers from.

Question is: Do you have ginger pubes to match your beard?

Guest Gladstone
Thankfully there is not a trace of ginger in any of my hair. Worst i get is a bit of grey in my facial hair. My younger brother was not so lucky, he's got ginger in his beard and is going bald as well. Bonus.

I'm completely ginger, except for the weird exceptionally dark hair that sprouts out of the top of my shoulders and back.

(Yes, I am one hairy bastard)

I get ginger in my beard, but as mentioned my beard is so pathetic it never gets beyond stubble.

I get sideburns, and I get the shape of a perfect goatee, but I don't grow any hair on my cheeks, and under my chin there's a massive bald stripe, like someone took a razor and just shaved one big strip out of my beard. When your facial hair is that lame (and ginger) it's best just to stay clean shaven,