aberdeen-music

Shaving

Le Stu

I just bought a Wilkinson Sword shave brush and soap bowl thing like Grandpa would probably have used. I haven't figured out how to get an optimal amount of lather yet but I did have a pretty successful shave.

No fucking way am I going for a straight razor though. I can usually rely on myself not to try stepping into the toilet for a shower in the morning but I'd have half my nose off, seriously.

Shaving is fucking bobbins, like. Eventually I just gave up and decided to grow a beard. I may look like a more civilized Stig of the Dump, but at least I don't have to drag a blunt blade across my skin every morning.

Having a shave without washing your face/showering beforehand is absolute fartbiscuits.

I hate shaving with a passion. My facial hair grows in about 6 different directions and it's an absolute cunt to shave properly. I also end up with irritated skin regardless of what i do. To add insult to injury my facial hair grows at a ridiculous rate meaning i have to shave quite a lot. I almost always end up just going with the stubbly look. I don't like growing a full beard that much as it makes me look my age whereas i look about 5 years younger (or so i'm consistently told) than i actually am with stubble or when i'm clean shaven.

I hate shaving with a passion. My facial hair grows in about 6 different directions and it's an absolute cunt to shave properly. I also end up with irritated skin regardless of what i do. To add insult to injury my facial hair grows at a ridiculous rate meaning i have to shave quite a lot. I almost always end up just going with the stubbly look. I don't like growing a full beard that much as it makes me look my age whereas i look about 5 years younger (or so i'm consistently told) than i actually am with stubble or when i'm clean shaven.

I'm with you on this....I have pretty much the same set of problems, other than, when I leave it to grow a bit, the missus says it makes me look older (as quite a bit of my stubble is turning grey - GADS!!!!)

I srill find that leaving it 3 to 4 days between shaves, gives me a cleaner more comfortable one !

Always a SOAP/WET shave....... NEVER an electric !

(never found an electric that wasn't shite!)

:up:

I've always had to have at least 3 days gap between shaves or my neck explodes. My Dad told me years ago that if I persevered shaving every day my skin would toughen up. Sod that, after trying it for 3 days and looking like Freddie Krueger had been caressing my neck with his kill glove I gave up.

Electric shavers just don't shave close enough and it ends up patchy, any extended effort to get the shave closer just ends up irritated to shit.

When wet shaving I just use Gillette Sensitive gel and a Mach 3, blade changed after 4 shaves tops. Expensive but saves issues with blunt blades. After shaving, use some Nivea Sensitive shaving balm.

At the moment I am just trimming down using beard trimmers so I always have at least stubble. This is not a fashion statement, it's just practicality, as I get up at 6 and don't have time to shave after showering and then can't be bothered in the evening as it's too tuggy just splashing water on. So trimming with beard trimmers is fast and convenient.

Guest Gladstone

I don't shave anymore because I suit a beard. I grew a beard initially because my skin gets irritated to fuck when I shave.

Though my neck used to be better if I shaved everyday. It was quite a routine though, with pre-shave wash, particular shaving gel, post-shave wash, and then moisturiser. That every morning, adds about 15 minutes onto getting ready. I decided to grow the beard back after a year or so of doing that, and I don't think I'll ever be clean-shaven again. I can get away with not trimming the beard for a couple of weeks before it starts to look too bushy.

all of this, 'cept i have a beard.

still got to shave the neck though, as neckbeards essentially say "do not have sex with me".

any tips on that to share?

I hate shaving but it has to be done. I have tried tons of razors and creams but my skin burns like hell all the time I shave.

Whats this wilkinson brush and lather thingy? Is it better for sensitive skin like?

It's an old fashioned type shaving brush which has an accompanying soap which comes in a round container like Nivea cream. I'm still working out the best way to use it but basically you wet the brush, swirl it around in the soap and then vigorously brush your face with it. It seems a little rougher than using an aerosol lather but I've not really got the hang of it yet. I just hate the wastage of aerosol and wanted to try something else.

My personal tips are to shave directly after showering, as a hot shower will soften your stubble, and to always use a high quality triple blade razor, my personal choice being the Gillette M3 power, but the standard Mach 3 is also great. I never shave against the grain of my stubble though I might cut sideways on my cheeks for a closer shave. I'm never totally smooth but I don't get much irritation either. I moisturise immediately after shaving and never use aftershave.

Never had any problems with shaving. Whack on some foam and use my Gillette and i'm done in 5 minutes tops.

My biggest issue is the "fuck me I just can't be arsed shaving today" mentality I have first thing in the morning, just about every morning.

My personal tips are to shave directly after showering, as a hot shower will soften your stubble, and to always use a high quality triple blade razor, my personal choice being the Gillette M3 power, but the standard Mach 3 is also great. I never shave against the grain of my stubble though I might cut sideways on my cheeks for a closer shave. I'm never totally smooth but I don't get much irritation either. I moisturise immediately after shaving and never use aftershave.

First thing I thought of after reading your tips:

Still-49.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• Upvote 3