aberdeen-music

Boycott The Evening Express

Shaki

New lows in "journalism"?:

Cruz criticises British weather - Evening Express

Of what value is this to ANYBODY?!

People are fascinated by celebrity culture which is fine by me, each to their own. There are hundreds of magazines and tabloids that cover the most mundane elements of celebrity life but surely even the poorest of these titles must include some sort of human interest in each article?! This is just one example of the nothingness that they include in every issue. A few weeks back I read in Cameron Stout's column that Chas and Dave were playing a gig in London that night. That was it. No discernable quip, just something along the lines of "I see Chas and Dave are playing in London tonight".

Going back to Penelope and her disparaging comments about the Great British weather, I guess maybe in the paper there was a picture of her shoes and this "story" was the byline but why put it on your website?! (If she has her knockers out in the paper then I take all this back)

If you buy this paper out of habit and agree that it is a bit shit then please stop buying it. All you are doing is encouraging them. If you do buy it and don't think it is shit, please post something from today's edition which is either interesting or informative.

I never buy the thing and I doubt I could find anything interesting in it today but...

Blonde beauty accuses Aberdeen millionaire of assault - Evening Express

I was talking with a mate about what a parochial wee towny paper EE is, with nothing of interest to report, and how that sort of article just sums it up really. My favorite quote:

The blinds at Miss Bradfords flat in Aberdeens Claremont Street were pulled shut all day yesterday and remained closed today.

No phone hacking at the EE at least.

I never buy the thing and I doubt I could find anything interesting in it today but...

Blonde beauty accuses Aberdeen millionaire of assault - Evening Express

I was talking with a mate about what a parochial wee towny paper EE is, with nothing of interest to report, and how that sort of article just sums it up really. My favorite quote:

The blinds at Miss Bradfords flat in Aberdeens Claremont Street were pulled shut all day yesterday and remained closed today.

Well, I found that article incredibly interesting, because I know the lassie. Although the P&J did it better earlier in the day.

Not quite, but I remember a few years ago my old music teacher ran off with a pupil and the EE phoned him up. He thought he had slammed down the phone on them, but didn't quite manage, they printed verabtim all the stuff they heard him saying afterwards, all this guff about getting Max Clifford to represent them and stuff.

Here he is on youtube, apt, because he's one of the biggest fucking tubes I've ever met.

YouTube - 1/5 DC: Sleeping with Teacher

Here he is on youtube, apt, because he's one of the biggest fucking tubes I've ever met.

I totally didnt realise you went to Kincorth!

That girl (is it clair?) was in my year. He was a decent teacher towards me, said i could do Higher music - but because i had no formal theory knoledge i had to start at the bottom.

Boo!

Well, I found that article incredibly interesting, because I know the lassie. Although the P&J did it better earlier in the day.

Not quite, but I remember a few years ago my old music teacher ran off with a pupil and the EE phoned him up. He thought he had slammed down the phone on them, but didn't quite manage, they printed verabtim all the stuff they heard him saying afterwards, all this guff about getting Max Clifford to represent them and stuff.

He's now the DJ / compere at Club Sapphire.

Ugh. Fucking tcheuchter press. They just hang around like a bad smell fishing for info. I remember when I was 18 and a mate of mine died of solvent abuse. The P&J were all over his mum's house because they smelled a drug story. And when they finally printed the article they got the names and ages of his family wrong.

I basically yearn for their bankruptcy.

He's now the DJ / compere at Club Sapphire.

Now I can see the appeal of having sex with 16 year old lassies, but as Principal Teacher of Music I guess he was on something like 35-40k, not to be sniffed at. To go from that to arsing about at Club Sapphire, no thanks.

Yeah the Evening is becoming less and less local.

Last week for example, I was part of the group who organised the Wizard Summer Showcase in Peterhead. OK, it wasnt in Aberdeen, but the EE is still sold in Peterhead and covers stories there quite often. Given that the EE is a major sponsor of the festival, we felt that it would be given reasonably high significance and perhaps feature in the Whats On Guide on the Thursday, which we had met their given deadline for.

Imagine my dismay to open the paper and find a short 2 paragraph summary of the press release, minus photograph on page 10 or something, and a two page, full colour spread about JLS in the Whats On Section. What made it even worse, was that JLS arent even playing in Aberdeen at any point soon, it was merely coverage and guff about their new single.

WHY?!

There was some columnist prick giving his tuppence worth yesterday about Brew Dog in yesterday's one. It was ill informed fucking drivel. Someone should find that, cos I was actually fucking angry while reading it.

That was Frank Gilfeather. I read that and got a bit annoyed as well. The cock.

Now I can see the appeal of having sex with 16 year old lassies, but as Principal Teacher of Music I guess he was on something like 35-40k, not to be sniffed at. To go from that to arsing about at Club Sapphire, no thanks.

He definitely DJs and comperes in there at the weekends. He does comedy piano as well. I've been in a few times and my girlfriend clocked him straight away. The girl he was shagging works behind the bar.

A quick google confirms that he is now also doing some kind of sex show.

'Sex show' teacher's PCC complaint is rejected - Press Gazette

A quick google confirms that he is now also doing some kind of sex show.

Hopefully not a live one. :down:

Just had a look at Sandi Thom's latest column.

This Thom-boy plays the blues - Evening Express

Seems Joe Bonnamassa got a sore throat and asked her to fill in for him. Impressive. Her column implies that she did the whole show, as she had to learn the "set". Not quite as impressive when you look at a setlist from one of the gigs and notice that she only did three tunes.

Setlist:

01 The Ballad Of John Henry 6:56

02 Last Kiss 8:25

03 So Many Roads 6:22

04 Joe speaks 0:57

05 Walk In My Shadows* 4:36

06 Mr. Big* 4:46

07 unknown* 8:26

08 Pocket Full Of Money* 5:46

09 Lonesome Road Blues 5:05

10 Sloe Gin 9:02

11 Further On Up The Road** 4:16

12 The Great Flood** 7:54

13 Your Funeral My Trial** 3:48

14 Woke Up Dreaming 10:21

15 Just Got Paid > Dazed And Confused 12:06

Encore:

16 Ball Peen Hammer 4:31

17 India > Mountain Time 11:24

* with Paul Rafferey on vocals

** with Sandi Thom on vocals

Amazing to think that she is able to drop her huge amount of touring and recording commitments at the drop of a hat and go away on tour to sing three numbers for somebody else. Anybody would think she has fuck all else to do.

Everyone should read it and find out what a cunt he is.

Already knew that a loooooooong time ago. The problem with these shitey columnists is, you can't do anything about them. There's another tube called Begbie who tries to be controversial all the time, the paper wants them to be controversial. If you write in to say how fucking pish Sandi Thom is, they think she's done a good job.

So all you can do is boycott it I suppose.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah the Evening is becoming less and less local.

Last week for example, I was part of the group who organised the Wizard Summer Showcase in Peterhead. OK, it wasnt in Aberdeen, but the EE is still sold in Peterhead and covers stories there quite often. Given that the EE is a major sponsor of the festival, we felt that it would be given reasonably high significance and perhaps feature in the Whats On Guide on the Thursday, which we had met their given deadline for.

Imagine my dismay to open the paper and find a short 2 paragraph summary of the press release, minus photograph on page 10 or something, and a two page, full colour spread about JLS in the Whats On Section. What made it even worse, was that JLS arent even playing in Aberdeen at any point soon, it was merely coverage and guff about their new single.

WHY?!

I was told that the EE don't (just don't as a matter of a policy) review local gigs etc. They were quite good at getting the Exposure nights mentioned and a few decent previews, but the MASSIVE preview section of the What's On is always for some shite like JLS or balls like that.

I think the only way I consistently got stuff in was cos I bugged the hell out of Marie-Claire till she succumbed and put stuff in. But, they just would not review anything. I was hoping for reviews of the clubnights to try and get the word out, but they don't review local bands and they don't review clubnights (that's what I was told anyway).

It's a local paper and should lend a hand to promoting local music far more than it does if you ask me. Say what you like about Northsound 1 (and for a while Original did it too) but at least they play songs by local artists and have had an enormous amount of local artists on the Sunday Session over the past few years.

I was told that the EE don't (just don't as a matter of a policy) review local gigs etc. They were quite good at getting the Exposure nights mentioned and a few decent previews, but the MASSIVE preview section of the What's On is always for some shite like JLS or balls like that.

I think the only way I consistently got stuff in was cos I bugged the hell out of Marie-Claire till she succumbed and put stuff in. But, they just would not review anything. I was hoping for reviews of the clubnights to try and get the word out, but they don't review local bands and they don't review clubnights (that's what I was told anyway).

It's a local paper and should lend a hand to promoting local music far more than it does if you ask me. Say what you like about Northsound 1 (and for a while Original did it too) but at least they play songs by local artists and have had an enormous amount of local artists on the Sunday Session over the past few years.

You seem to be thinking that the Evening Express is some kind of public service for Aberdeen, where as it is in fact a business. The demographic who buy the paper are not interested in the slightest about a review of a local clubnight/band, so why should the EE waste their time covering such things? The readers of the EE are far more interested in reading about bands such as JLS rather than *insert local band name here*.

And to say that you had to bug the hell out of Marie-Claire to get "stuff put in" is a load of nonsense. I know for a fact that she is more than happy for local promoters to get in touch about gigs or clubnights, but don't expect the moon on a stick. There are plenty of promoters who get in touch with her (some who post on here) who regularly get listings printed in the paper, but to expect reviews or massive previews will never happen. The EE is not a music magazine, it is a local tabloid that caters for a specific market. And certainly don't paint it out as that Marie-Claire caved in under pressure from yourself to include the Exposure nights in the EE.

There are much better ways to promote local gigs, such as flyering, especially at gigs where similar bands are playing.

You seem to be thinking that the Evening Express is some kind of public service for Aberdeen, where as it is in fact a business. The demographic who buy the paper are not interested in the slightest about a review of a local clubnight/band, so why should the EE waste their time covering such things? The readers of the EE are far more interested in reading about bands such as JLS rather than *insert local band name here*.

And to say that you had to bug the hell out of Marie-Claire to get "stuff put in" is a load of nonsense. I know for a fact that she is more than happy for local promoters to get in touch about gigs or clubnights, but don't expect the moon on a stick. There are plenty of promoters who get in touch with her (some who post on here) who regularly get listings printed in the paper, but to expect reviews or massive previews will never happen. The EE is not a music magazine, it is a local tabloid that caters for a specific market. And certainly don't paint it out as that Marie-Claire caved in under pressure from yourself to include the Exposure nights in the EE.

There are much better ways to promote local gigs, such as flyering, especially at gigs where similar bands are playing.

Seconded.

I agree exactly with what you say - this is how the Evening Express is run.

I disagree entirely with how the Evening Express is run however. Surely, surely, the Evening Express can see that they are much more likely to sell more copies of their newspapers if they take more an interest in local artists? Lets face it, if they have an article about JLS in the paper, not even little teeny bopper girls are going to tell all their pals to go buy it cause theres a thing about JLS in it. <insert token blurb about internet/modern technology/unprecedented coverage etc> In essesence what I'm saying is that the demographic you talk about may be more interested in JLS, but they wont buy the paper JUST because JLS are in it, they'll buy the paper regardless.

If they were to cover a local gig every week with different bands, it could be worth 50-100 extra sales a week to them (taking an average of 4 bands per gig, mates buying it to see the photos/read the stories/previews/reviews) At the bottom end of that scale thats 2500 extra sales a year, topping out at 5000 odd.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it, but the JLS/other thing is covered in other newspapers and magazines constantly. People wont stop buying the evening cause its not in there. More people will buy it if local acts are.

if a touring band was to come up to aberdeen, fair enough, big preview/review of the gig. But if they have no relevance to the area, they should not favour them over local interest articles.

Fuck me, we even wrote the article and took the photos for them, for an event they are sponsoring! :down: