aberdeen-music

The Simpsons v Family Guy

delboy

meant to post this yesterday but forgot! whilst having an afternoon nap (its a tough job being a full time benefit scrounger!) i came across an interesting debate on Radio 5 Live.

basically which do you think is best and why?

i'd go for family guy every time, i've never been into the simpsons and think people rave about it far too much. family guy is quality throughout - fantastic characters and writing laced with wonderful surrealism. and stewie... nuff said :up:

Family guy, I remember a rainy friday night a few of us sat in and watched a few DVDs. i can't remember what the joke was but it was really quite racist, and there was an awkward silence where we all looked about the room not sure whether it was ok to laugh or not before everyone burst out at the exact same time as if it were planned! I don't think anyone else but Seth McFarlan has the power to do that.

You're going to get raped for the racist stuff hun... (not literally, I hope)

Nefarious C think you all must be a'honkin' on your crack pipe.

The Simpsons has had so much more to offer. So much more original; Family Guy has it's moments but it's too reliant on non-sequiters. I like American Dad and South Park more.

Well I'm watching McStroke just now and can't stop giggling... :laughing: Seth Macfarlane is ace

McStroke is my fave family guy episode ever, the bit where they do a parody of the monkees has me rolling on the floor every time!

• Upvote 1

There are what, 3 good episodes of Family Guy?

The Simpsons is so much better, and basically serves as the template for Family Guy. I can't understand how anyone could argue that Family Guy isn't extremely, extremely derivative. Seth McFarlane must laugh in hysterics at his enormous finances every day, wondering how he gets away with it.

Yeah, it has good moments now and then, but for 'outrageous' material, South Park is miles better, and for subtle satire and clever plotlines, Simpsons wipes the floor with Family Guy.

• Upvote 1

If Family Guy is still going strong in 15 years then it could maybe be spoken about in the same breath as The Simpsons. As it is, one is a mildly amusing collection of taboo jokes and obscure pop references and the other is a fucking institution, a unifying cultural artefact of immeasurable genius and beauty. It's not even a debate... IMO of course.

I would have to say The Simpson and South Park win it for me. i grew up on both of the shows and thing they just get better and better. The south park jokes are always up to the minute and the graphics get better and even though The Simpson storyline are not as crazy as family guy and South Park probably because its a family cartoon viewed at 6.pm can't really put the same jokes, but they do try and get away with it. I will always love the simpson. Just wonder how much longer they can last.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

My opinion:

1. Modern Simpsons episodes are pretty awful (don't know which seasons etc, just talking about ones I've seen recently with the likes of Simon Cowell & Ricky Gervais in them).

2. Modern Family Guy episodes are pretty awful (I remember when the long awaited 4th season episodes first appeared on the torrents, as time went on it became apparent that they were becoming more and more one-dimensional with every episode).

3. The Simpsons has run for 20 years or something, with probably a 10 year stretch of pure gold (I don't find the earliest seasons that funny, and the rubbish voices/animation piss me off too). Family Guy's first 3 seasons are pretty good but after that things went a bit iffy. So The Simpsons has been running twice as long, with about twice as much decent output.

4. Aside from this, I don't really have a preference over 'good' Simpsons and 'good' Family Guy.

Overall winner - The Simpsons.

Am I being thick or is there a thread on this already? Either that or it's just a discussion my friends have too much...

American Dad tops both :up: especially for the line "Hayley, how about a punch in the face" purely because my name is Hayley haha

Agreed about American dad its just so much more entertaining(perhaphs because the father isnt a slobbish layabout)

The Simpsons are getting a bit long in the tooth I think, they should have stopped when they started with Futurama

Anyone remember Dinosaurs or Alf?

I agree that the Simpsons hasn't been worth watching for years, though I haven't checked lately, but I have never gotten into Family Guy at all. The South Park episode taking the piss out of it seemed pretty spot on, the humour in it has no context. Not that I sit with a flat line for a mouth through it but Peter will never make me wet myself like Homer did frequently.

New Simpsons are a bit guff, with very few exceptions. but the golden era, between season 3 and 10 is easily the best television there has ever been. No exception. Really. Even 11 to 14 is totally decent with only a few stinkers in all. These days, Family Guy produces the odd belly laugh, but it in no way compares to those seasons of the Simpsons. It is so shoddily written, and the plots are just pointless, as all their jokes are stuffed into tedious flashbacks which I'm certain I'm not the only one who is sick of. American Dad seems to have taken off from where Family Guy is so flawed, and it's by far superior. It has a few dud characters, but it's pretty much all about Stan anyway, who is a much better character than Peter Griffin. The plots are actually coherent and the jokes aren't purely casted into irritating cut scenes.

The only good thing about modern Simpsons is the amount of Family Guy jibes, because I just don't think Family Guy could have mimicked The Simpsons any closer if they tried, without colouring everyone yellow. The similarities between Peter and Homer are just shameless, on top of a good number of exceedingly similar storylines.

I really have no interest in Family Guy anymore. The last good episode was the one with Mel Gibson. I liked the "Ragan Smash" bit in another episode from that season too. That's about it. They really peaked in Season 2 and 3, but now - new episodes of the Family Guy are much inferior to new Simpsons.

• Upvote 1

I loved the simpsons when growing up, I love family guy because im older and i get the humor

I would have thought it was the other way around, surely. The Simpsons aged so well for me because as a kid, it was a clumsy, inoffensive cartoon. As I grew up, I noticed more and more of the hidden jokes, and how cleverly they have been put into context. I think it's quite amazing how offensive, racist and blasphemous The Simpsons could be whilst still wrapping it up in an innocent, primetime, family show. Family Guy just goes all out, and it began to get a bit obvious. It in no way has the same intelligence to the writing that the Simpsons has, or had.

Agreed about American dad its just so much more entertaining(perhaphs because the father isnt a slobbish layabout)

The Simpsons are getting a bit long in the tooth I think, they should have stopped when they started with Futurama

Anyone remember Dinosaurs or Alf?

Definitely agree that The Simpsons should have been stopped...

I found my Dinosaurs toys from when I was little the other day!! They were hidden away in a box with loads of other useless shite... You would swivel the body so the legs were facing the wrong way, when I was younger I thought it was hilarious turning the baby's legs right round so the tail would poke out the "front" of the nappy.

Easily pleased, as I've said before :up: