aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

for shame. it's not boring, you're only saying that cause you can't be arsed coming up with an argument other than no one's heard of them. which is genuinely boring(and obviously not true). you wanted some debate and we're trying to generate it.

I never tried to stifle debate on the subject, as I've hopefully clarified by now, I just got bored of the same arguments being put forward for Fugazi, I've heard them. To be entirely honest the only argument I can put up against them is the fact that they were commercially unsuccesful, 'cause I genuinely don't know anything about them.

How about The Stone Roses?

Debut album widely regarded as one of the best ever, a key influence in the dance-rock crossover and still cited as an influence by many bands today on both sides of the Atlantic.

And all achieved whilst having a singer who can't fucking sing.

Having heard Ian Brown "singing" live, I'm amazed they ever managed to make a record. Fuck knows how many takes they had to do mbefore they could get something usable.

Two great albums for sure (I prefer Second Coming), but is that a big enough body of work? Or does the fact that they have a 100% strike rate count in their favour?

I'd probably go along with the Beatles for reasons already discussed.

However, as a personal preference I'd like to throw Radiohead into the mix. Currently probably couldn't be described as the best band but in terms of reinvention and innovation they are right up there. After two belting albums in The Bends and Ok Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac was a brave direction to take (although probably not to everyone's liking). Then releasing In Rainbows online where you could choose how much you paid for it was a new way of releasing and distributing music. Add in the fact they have some superb tunes and are immense live, I reckon they'll leave a hell of a legacy behind.

That Yorke lad is a miserable cunt though.

Having heard Ian Brown "singing" live, I'm amazed they ever managed to make a record. Fuck knows how many takes they had to do mbefore they could get something usable.

Two great albums for sure (I prefer Second Coming), but is that a big enough body of work? Or does the fact that they have a 100% strike rate count in their favour?

A 100% (or as close to)strike rate I'd rank more important than the amount of songs, and whilst I don't think The Stone Roses are the best band ever, there is a certainly a claim there. 2 great albums and a host of non-album singles/b-sides, plus innovations in sound and style, impact on culture, lasting influence and mass appeal yet still retains a 'cult' following for the die-hards - certainly ticks against all the criteria there.

Suprised no-ones put forward The Smiths.

Despite the fact he cannot sing, Ian Brown has loads of good tunes - My Star, Dolphins Were Monkeys, F.E.A.R, Getting' High,Time is My Everything, Keep What Ya Got, Corpses in Their Mouths - I just refuse to go see him live anymore.

The Seahorses actually had a few good songs but were unbearable live due to John Squire's guitar hero fantasies....

The Roses had a good strike rate in song quality up until the extended hiatus to make The Second Coming. The debut album would be perfect if the backwards one, Don't Stop, wasn't on it. Their singles were all good and the B-sides were in many cases superior. The Second ComingI like it but as a complete body of work it doesn't quite have the same impact as the debut. Love Spreads is still amazing though

As for the bands Dave mentions - nah, sorry, not even close to The Stone Roses in terms of influence and impact, his well known dislike for them is casting up rather silly arguments there. The only one mentioned that really captured a moment was The Strokes but that only lasted one album and was as much about fashion as the music.

The Charlatans, much more the eternal ned band than The Roses ever were, were a good singles band but other than Some Friendly the albums were generally very patchy and they have been treading the same furrow for years now, I lost interest many albums ago. Do many bands name them as an influence? Can't say I've seen many. But then I'm not generally interested in interviews with 2nd/3rd rate indie bands who are most likely to like them.

Primal Scream can be good when they aren't trying to be The Rolling Stones but they've been mainly living off the reputation of Screamadelica. Too inconsistent in quality. I do like Vanishing Point and Xtrmntr though. But again, influence factor? Nae really. Although Bobby Gillespie would probably like to think otherwise...

I'm not sure where The White Stripes fit into the argument, they are good but do they actually influence any bands? Other than the fact that any band who has 2 members gets compared to them.

I'm not sure where The White Stripes fit into the argument, they are good but do they actually influence any bands? Other than the fact that any band who has 2 members gets compared to them.

There was a rash of lo-fi bluesy indie garage bands e.g. Detroit Cobras got some attention after them. Hardly a case for best band ever though.

There was a rash of lo-fi bluesy indie garage bands e.g. Detroit Cobras got some attention after them. Hardly a case for best band ever though.

Yeah but that was more down to the fact that The White Stripes got popular so loads of other Detroit based bands became a focal point - Von Bondies, Detroit Cobras, KO and the Knockouts, etc.

Similar to the Nirvana - Seattle and Stone Roses/Happy Mondays - Manchester phenomena.

Exactly - when personal opinion is a factor you are never going to reach a valid answer.

It's like arguing what the best cheese is.

Chedder! The king of all cheeses! It's got to be mature (but not too mature!). Versatile, innovative, and complex while being commercial enough to appeal to most, if not all cheese lovers. It's displayed a faultless track record of quality. Oh, and everyone's heard of chedder. All boxes ticked methinks! :up:

What about The Pogues or maybe The Beach Boys?

I can't believe his thread has gotten 23 pages long.

Music is subjective. Every single person in this thread is smart enough to know that. Hence, there will never be an answer. So stop arguing.

Fucking hell, you could probably put forward an argument that the Spice Girls were the greatest band ever. But they weren't. Cos no one band is.

Surely this must be conclusive proof from Mr Motorhead:

Interviewer: I've also heard that you are a huge Beatles fan?

Lemmy: "Best band ever on the earth"

"They would come on stage and you were just awestruck," he remembers. "They had that presence, which is very rare.

Macca thumbs aloft :up:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are take that a band?....This is not my opinion but surely they would be well before some of the random poop thats been mentioned in here....Aparently there the biggest manband on the planet as of now....

MY favourite bands of all time (Not THE best band ever.)

Oasis

The beatles

The rolling stones

Kings of leon

Coldplay

Josh Rouse (And his band)

Antony and the johnstones

David Gray (And his band)

Pink Floyd (NOT all albums)

RadioHead

MJ

Etc etc .. .. But this is my opinion....Whom ever already said it was right...No-one person can/could decide the best band ever....

Yes, they did pretty well adapting their style into corny stadium rock when they realised a 5th album of thrash metal would be silly. Then came the funk rock, the orchestras, and having to pick up daughters from ballet lessons. Not to mention the consistency in releasing undoubtedly shite records, with no exception since the turn of the 90's. Alienating what is probably a massive proprtion of their fanbase with the whole file sharing fiasco too? Good grief. What a bunch of awful awful cunts. 4 good records. A hell of alot of going off the boil and being insufferable cunts. Quite a strong case of worst band ever? That's another thread for another day.