aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

Back in the day the Beatles were moving music forward and really experimenting, now everyone is so desperate to be "Experimental" that the Beatles don't put a spot on that radar any more, lets face it, i like the Beatles, but they are dated.

They existed 40 years ago, of course they are dated. But if you look at how their music developed over 10 years, they were pushing boundaries of what was technologically achievable at that time and releasing styles of music that was new at that time. Even I can see that as a sceptic towards the best band ever tag.

I'm afraid there is very little, if anything, released nowadays that is truly experimental. It's all been done before.

Guest Gladstone
I would agree with that, but since the Beatles other band shave pushed the experimental boundaries so much further that it makes it seem like the Beatles never did it all.

Absolute bollocks. What they did with what was available at the time technologically was astounding.

...The Beatles. Now, I know that in theory music is subjective, but as far as I'm concerned, in this case, it's fact. For me, although they're not my personal favourite band (Dire Straits now you ask), they are unquestionably the best band ever. When you look at not only their record sales, but the critical reception to their music, their evolution in such a short time and huge influence, not just musically but culturally, it's clear that nobody else even comes close.

However, when you put forward this argument, every now and then you will come up against someone who, for whatever reason, doesn't personally like The Beatles and therefore scoffs at the assertion that they are unquestionably the best band ever. It's easy for them to say that The Beatles are not the best band ever, but it's harder for them to come up with a sound argumenr against this and it's always great fun listening to them trying to come up with the reasons that, say, Pink Floyd were a better band than The Beatles.

So come on then aberdeen-music folk, if you think The Beatles are not the best band ever, who is, and why?

I'd agree with most of this, and I do like The Beatles.

I think there were just other bands around the same time that were just more interesting though-13th Floor Elevators were massively influential, they had nowhere near the same universal recognition though.

I'm with Dave, I'd regard Fugazi as the best band ever.

They achieved so much recognition from using very little in the way of promotion. All word of mouth, and they have one of the most dedicated fan bases from any band ever.

They just need to hurry up, stop being twats, and reform.

I'm with Dave, I'd regard Fugazi as the best band ever.

They achieved so much recognition from using very little in the way of promotion. All word of mouth, and they have one of the most dedicated fan bases from any band ever.

They just need to hurry up, stop being twats, and reform.

I think (and I bet they know it too) that after such a lengthy absence and, in my opinion, a flawless back catalogue, there would be an astronomical amount of pressure on them for their comeback record to be amazing. They are one of few bands who have released more than 2 or 3 records where each one has been as good as the last, but with how fickle music has become since their hiatus, I can imagine alot of people being underwhelmed, and saying "it's not as good as the old stuff" or something daft. I think they capped their lifespan of nicely though. They sort of faded away when everyone wanted more and their last album was a beaut.

I think everything they did, and the way they did it was quite revolutionary in terms of DIY music and punk rock in general. The aim was to take a more experimental, melodic approach to hardcore punk without comprimising the energy. I am in awe of the sounds they produced without the use of any fx pedals, and their on-stage 'telepathy'. Being able to tour the world without a single set-list, and just trusting each other to go from one song to another out of their hefty back catalogue. You can't teach that, and you can't practice that. They just had 'it', and it was amazing.

The audience wasn't as big by any stretch, but I believe they had more of an affect on the people they actually did reach than The Beatles. I'm not denying how good The Beatles were were as a band as songwriters. I just don't think they made the same kind of difference, despite the difference in scale.

I'm not the biggest fan of the term 'Emo', but I think Fugazi captured everything about that term even though they distance themselves from it aswell. Especially the way Guy gives every ounce of energy he has, almost putting his body on the line. From all the bands I've ever seen, it just seems like Fugazi are working just that bit (a lot) harder, and that's what seemed to make them so special. It never seemed to be another gig to them. Every single one was unique, and they are the kind of band you would just want to follow to every date to capture every possible perspective of the band, and even that would be almost impossible ulness you were at every single show since their inception.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a bit unfair to attribute that to Queen...would Freddie have allowed it? Actually, young men....possibly....

Irrelevant, as Brian May and Roger Taylor decided to continue Queen in Mercury's absence. At least John Deacon retained some dignity.

But if you are going to claim that Queen are the best band ever, you're going to have to deal with records like that collaboration with "5ive", all the barrel scraping after Freddie died and the pish they've released with Paul Rodgers.

Irrelevant, as Brian May and Roger Taylor decided to continue Queen in Mercury's absence. At least John Deacon retained some dignity.

But if you are going to claim that Queen are the best band ever, you're going to have to deal with records like that collaboration with "5ive", all the barrel scraping after Freddie died and the pish they've released with Paul Rodgers.

Greatest Hits 3 was a load of wank.

Can't remember if I've already posted in this thread. I'd better not give my reply or I may get chased away with a broom! (You can guess though can't ya?) I like The Beatles but would put The Shadows and ELO above them (controversial!).

Both great bands for sure, but I'd like to hear the arguments for them being ahead of The Beatles.

Oh yeah, they were definitely dismissive of Cliff and The Shads who were "the establishment" by 1962. But I've heard interviews with Lennon praising Move It as the first decent British rock and roll record, they covered Move It during the Get Back sessions and I think I'm right in saying that the Shadows homage "Cry For A Shadow" is the only Lennon/Harrison joint composition.

Having lived through it at the time I concur with Bigsby....the Beatles were the tops. The Stones always seemed to be a good few steps behind, and their 'bad -boys' chic was crap.

My own fave band from that era is the Kinks, but the Beatles reigned supreme. Of course it's easy to knock them, but usually this stems from a lack of knowledge of their music.

As for Cliff...great backing band, decent voice, but a divvy.......'Expresso Bongo' indeed!! Now, I'd be a lot happier if someone had suggested Billy Fury....a much under-rated talent.