aberdeen-music

And The Best Band Ever Is...

Bigsby

Oooo I'm afraid Elvis had his own share of horrors in the 60's for his film soundtracks.....

Bob Dylan, renowned and much admired for his complex lyrics. 'Wiggle Wiggle' however was not quite in this category -

!

I just Spotified that, it was indeed pretty rubbish. The 80s ruined lives.

Hummingbird of Death are the best band ever.

Reasons:

1-They're reet fast and fun.

2-Their name is Hummingbird of Death.

3-

1044129306_l.jpg

4-

l_31903cf3940cb13b21ace034f3547a8c.jpg

5-Mike the drummer/vocalist is a fucking dude from the chats we've had.

6-The have a song called "Hope You Like Infest". And I really like Infest and think if you don't like Infest you're an asshole.

7-They have a song called "Here, you throw this away" which is a punchline to a Mitch hedberg joke. Mitch hedberg is awesome.

8-They have a 5" that has 19 songs on one side and one song on the other.

9-They do a No Comment cover faster than No Comment played it. Which is pretty fucking fast.

10- YouTube - HUMMINGBIRD OF DEATH @ BURNT RAMEN

Hummingbird Of Death on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

If you don't agree, I don't give a fuck.

and he is wearing a mg tshirt

I call you WRONG!!!!!!!*, Who'll Stop The Rain, Run Through the Jungle, Born on the Bayou, Keep on Chooglin, Down on the Corner, Midnight Special, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, Sinister Purpose, Ramble Tamble, Proud Mary, Hey Tonight, Travellin Band, Suzie Q,Lookin Out My Back Door, all ace, off the top of my head, and there are many more. Fogerty is a legend. Its only when they went too C(o)untry that the ratio took a dive (Cottonfields=bowfff).

*Well thats relativism for you.

• Upvote 1

Ah the beatles... where to begin?

I was born and raised in Liverpool, so when I was younger I hated them. It's not that they were BAD but it's just that you can't walk down a fuckin' street in liverpool without seeing something to do with the beatles. All the things liverpool has and all they care about is throwing a picture of john lennon at you.

When i moved away to scotland five years ago I started listening to them alot for some reason, and they've really inspired some of my lyrics and some of my (less rocked up) songs.

So basically these days I love them, but there are alot more bands out there that could be put forward for the "best band ever" trophy.

If you wanted to narrow it down bigsby, you could maybe change it to...

"the best (genre) band of the (1960's/70's etc)"

Peace Bro!

This is clearly of no constructive use whatsoever, but I hate 90% of Beatles stuff. Boring or hippy wank. They did have a couple of decent pop songs though. Shame about the rest.

Also, with the exception of George Harrison, they seem like dicks too.

• Upvote 1

Wholeheartedly agree with Bigsby.

The Stones is a good argument actually because of their consistency, but I think the Beatles win for all the reasons Bigsby mentions in his first post.

They were only famous for about 10 years, but they were slogging it out before then. And although they were only releasing albums for about 10 years, they punted out I think 13 studio albums in that time, and in my opinion all of them are very good. They have 2 double albums worth of greatest hits in the red and blue albums which are brilliant start to finish. All that in 10 years is pretty good going.

I do also agree that Macca turned a bit pish on his own. Lennon was better, but nowhere near as good as the Beatles, but we're not arguing about their solo stuff - that's what makes a band a band. The two of them together, plus George Harrison of course, wrote a massive amount of brilliant pop songs. How'd you reckon Mick Jagger would get on in a solo career?

10 year is a tad too much...7 years is pushing it as they only started recording in late 1962 and finished in August 1969. Phenomenal output though, as they released non album singles and b sides plus no singles from Pepper or The White Album.

The Word this month has a feature on how they are underrated and methinks a lot of people seem to miss the importance and impact The Beatles had on music and culture. Like that earlier post about them just being lucky...they worked their arses off and had genuine talent, vision and class.

The solo stuff has never reached the heights but there's a few decent albums although most of it in the early 70s like Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Ram, Band On The Run and All Things Must Pass.

As for the Stones, always the bridesmaid really....the Beatles got them signed (George Harrison tipped off Decca), gave them their first big hit (I Wanna Be Your Man), influenced them to write and then got publicity through manager and ex NEMS employee Andrew Loog Oldham to build up the phoney image war. They of course became a great band but I'm glad The Beatles split up when they did and left an almost perfect legacy rather than flogging a dead horse like the Stones.

"...I Roll a Stoney, well you can imitate anyone you know..."

And for all the anti Macca stuff, he's the man who got Hendrix on the bill at Monterey.

In summary The Beatles are/were the only contenders.

They're not, because they were shit.

This, and then the usual cobblers about "But you CAN'T say that" for however many pages this yawn-fest will stretch to. Yes, you can. And I think I'll say it again just to prove that you can say that. The Beatles were shit. See, you can say that.

Personally, The Beatles bore the fuck out of me and I don't find them remotely interesting. I don't care how epoch-defining and innovative anyone else says they are, for me their music is boring, mundane pish and that's end of argument for me.

So they're not the best band ever, not for me anyway. Fuck 'em.

:down:

• Upvote 1

This, and then the usual cobblers about "But you CAN'T say that" for however many pages this yawn-fest will stretch to. Yes, you can. And I think I'll say it again just to prove that you can say that. The Beatles were shit. See, you can say that.

Personally, The Beatles bore the fuck out of me and I don't find them remotely interesting. I don't care how epoch-defining and innovative anyone else says they are, for me their music is boring, mundane pish and that's end of argument for me.

So they're not the best band ever, not for me anyway. Fuck 'em.

:down:

agathocles however.....

Back in the day the Beatles were moving music forward and really experimenting, now everyone is so desperate to be "Experimental" that the Beatles don't put a spot on that radar any more, lets face it, i like the Beatles, but they are dated.

Exactly how are the Beatles dated? The Beatles albums I have listened to most are Revolver and the White Album, and both still sound very contemporary to my ears.

• Upvote 1